Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Disintegrating fabric

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disintegrating fabric

Hii! I pulled out an unfinished BOM quilt, which is about 20 years old, and started working on it again. It is a variation of a charm quilt. As I started working on it I found that all of the black squares are coming apart as I press the seams open. (They totally detach from the seam) The top is about 50% complete. I've bought new black fabric for the remaining quilt, but what would you suggest for the black squares that are already in the completed portion of the quilt. I really don't want to have to rip out and replace all of the black squares; however, I'm worried that if I don't they will come apart when it is quilted. The other fabrics all seem to be ok.
    Thanks,
    Patty
    Patty

If all the black fabric is the same, expect it all to disintegrate with time. To save the quilt, replace all the black. Or start over with new fabric. It would be sad to keep working on it now only to have the remaining black squares shatter once the quilt is done.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Patricia W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Barbara. What I can't figure out is why this only seems to be happening with the black blocks that I am trying to sew with. The black blocks that are already in the quilt, seem very secure. I've tried pulling on the seams, etc. and they stay together. It's the individual black squares I had stored in a zip loc bag that are coming apart when I sew them to another square. Guess I'll be doing some ripping. Thanks for your feed back!

• Anne B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Fabric needs to breathe, or it deteriorates. The fabric you stored in the ziplock bag is therefore damaged.

• Patricia W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Anne,
      Thanks for your response!! So do you think that the blocks I've already finished with that fabric, will be ok? I've pulled at the seams and they all seem to be in good shape. I really don't relish the idea of taking them all out and replacing them. They were in a rubbermaid plastic bin. The small squares were in a ziploc bag, within the bin. Seeing as how it was 20 years ago, I don't really remember where I bought the fabric, but I've always bought fabric from good sources. I really appreciate your response. Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I don't seem to get notifications when someone has commented on my posts. Not sure if that's something I have wrong in my settings, or there just aren't notifications sent and I need to check regularly.
      Thanks again!

Patty 
      PS: Is there a preferred way that you store your quilts that are in progress? I'm sure you probably finish yours soon after you start, unlike me ;-)

You should anticipate that your quilt is going to fall apart unless you replace the black fabric. Either frame a portion of the quilt "as is" on your wall, or do the rework and enjoy the finished quilt.

Comment

• Patricia W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Diane. I was kind of hoping there was an easy way out, like adding some fusible interfacing to the back. I'll just be doing some ripping, I guess. Thanks for your feedback!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2215 users online. 388 members and 1827 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25584   Active Members: 1,287  
Welcome to our newest member, Betty King-jimbrett0712.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X