Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Urgent need for medical face masks

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent need for medical face masks

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/providence-hospital-asking-for-volunteers-to-sew-medical-masks-to-battle-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3o8azuTFPsny0nuavNAAsNDMHgJ kcr-HxtFmk5L7YuftpTJnaAo-TcOKY

My sons sil works at this hospital and has asked me to make masks. I use cotton fabric and ribbon ties, ( long) so they can ties them behind their heads. I don’t have the hospital kits, this hospital is in Washington state.
    Hope the link works. I live in Missouri.
    Masks could be sent to the hospital, but call first to see if cotton masks would be accepted. Some nurses are using them to cover their N95 masks because they might need to reuse them.

The hospital I work at in California also needs face masks, I want make some but the link they gave us https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask, calls for elastic which I don't have. I will have to ask if ribbon ties would work for them.

Comment

Kathy, what length are you making your ties? I don't believe elastic will hold up to the cleaning of these masks - chlorine or non-chlorine bleach, so am using ties for my daughter-in-law. I'm guessing about twelve inches? Would love your input.

Comment

Just measured the individual tie on the only disposable mask I have from last year unused that was given to me at the hospital... 16 inches. Hope this helps!

Comment

I will try the 16 inches and see if it ties around my head. I'm going to work today, will ask the nurses if ties will work for them. Kathy

Comment

I made my ribbons 17 inches. Janet

Comment

I made my ribbons 17 inches. Janet

If you would like to make masks for my in-law and her co workers at the provendenve hosp in Seattle area I would be glad to mail them.
              They work in the ER and helicopters.
              Didn’t want to put her name and address here.

Janet Klipp 2484 Hickory Manor Dr. Wildwood, MO

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Renata. That is the length I will use. I'm so very happy to see you on the Forum again!

Comment

My son-in-law is a doctor and he sent me the courier press.com site with his request to make some. It has a very simple pattern and does use elastic. Another doctor friend said that they will wash them using the sanitize setting. These don't have to last forever as Hanes and probably some other companies are re-tooling to make them. This is a perfect way to clean up your stash while feeling useful and utilizing our time wisely. God bless everyone!

Comment

I am making masks for our local hospital and working with an Anesthesiologist on what they need. I have bought Home air filters (like for your heater) to use as the filter - the box will be cut away and the filter taken apart and laid out flat like fabric to cut a pattern a tiny bit smaller to go into the mask. The filer has a MERV rating of 13, most home filters have a MERV 9-11 rating and are considered excellent. If you put a filter in - put a note on it that says what the manufacturer and rating is.
                    They have asked me to leave both sides open so they can "reuse" the N95 masks and slip them inside.
                    A few other ideas:
                    Make one side light and the other dark - that way they can be sure to use them consistently.
                    If you can't get elastic - use a t-shirt- cut a 1" strip off the bottom of a t-shirt. Make one cut and you will have a great no-sew tie
                    The wire at the nose - I used 18 gauge, 10 lb aluminum wire - cut 3 1/2" long and the ends curled back to the wire (no sharp edges) - the hospital was cutting up pie tins!, paper clips broke easily, and this wire molded to the face nicely.
                    In the picture you can see the long tie slides through the opening on the side of the mask.
                    I put batches of 10 masks in a plastic bag, with a label if they have filters, note manufacturer and how they rated it or that there are no filters

The pattern is easy and there is a tutorial at Sewitonline.com if you have questions. Be sure to watch the how to with the Serger. It is easier and the masks can be made in about 10-15 minutes. TQS also posted a blog with more options. Good Luck!

Comment

Good to see you too, Beverly! Not on as often as I'd like but I do check in fairly regularly, not posting as much...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2882 users online. 561 members and 2321 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X