Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What is your favorite cutting mat?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite cutting mat?

Has any one used the new cutting mats from Quilters Select? I am thinking about getting one, but I love my Olfa mats and they don't need to be replaced, just thought the idea of having the numbers read in either direction would be a big help.

I have an older model Koala cutting table, which is 39" x 73". I love it! But, the mat that I have on it is shot. I am looking to buy a new mat. In my research, I am finding I can no longer get an exact fit for it. Sooooooo.......I am looking into all options, all mats. This will be a costly purchase, so I want to know that I will be happy with cutting fabric on it. I want to know what mats you have, if you like them, and why. I'm even considering getting one long one and one shorter one, so I can drop one leaf and still have a mat covering 46" of the table. I can't do that now, with one big long one. And storing it is a pain!

Thanks for your input!
    Dawn

Comment

This is a site that has a 36x72 self healing gridded mat that might work for you. It's a drafting mat, but says its good for quilting too.

http://www.cutting-mats.net/selfhealing-large-cutting-mat-1074.html

Dorothy

Comment

Dorothy, after much research over the past few days, that particular mat is my first choice, even though it is 3" shorter than my table in width. And, since they can cut mats, I can have it cut in two at the 46" line, so I can drop a leaf if I wish to. My concern is.....I am not familiar with the brand. I'm hoping someone out there has one, and can tell me if they like it, if it is truly self healing, if the lines are easy to read, etc. It's a lot of money to spend on an unknown!

Dawn

Comment

I have the standard olfa big mat and 2 smaller ones. I did have the white cutting mat a long time ago and it wore out. The olfa keeps on working great. Sorry I can't be more specific on brands! Good luck!

geneva
          Geneva

Comment

Hi Dawn,
            I have one Duraheal and three Olfa mats the biggest is 36x24, (I prefer the Olfa's). I store the smaller ones between the sewing cabinet and corner table the larger one along the back wall of a closet. If cutting a large project I'll put all the cutting mats on the dinning room table.
            Barb
            Geneva

Comment

Hi Scoopie,
              I am one lucky quilter. Many years ago, my Dad built me a cutting table. It is 4 foot by 8 foot and counter high. It was made of plywood and then he glued metal flashing to it. Then he glued a cutting mat to it and put wood trim around the edges. It has shelves on each end. with space on the sides to hang rulers and drawers on both sides. I love it ! I like that I can use magnets to hold things to the table. The mat we used was a 1 in grid with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 marks on the edging. The mat was called Megamat and was bought from the Sewfit Co. www.sewfit.com I have used this mat commercially for many years. I had a sewing and alteration shop along with my quilting. The grid is still very visible. The mat is starting to get cut marks, in the places I use all the time. I bought a 4 foot metal ruler from home improvement store. I goes all the way across the table and is great for trimming quilts. I am going to build a new studio and I plan on making the same thing for my new space. I hope this helps. I'm sure that you can cut it down if you want. I had used a mat for drafting, but it wore out pretty quickly. I will use the Megamat again.[/i][/b][/i]
              Linda

Comment

Linda, I too have the Mega Mat, and am debating on getting the same thing again. Since I wrote this thread, I have been doing a lot of research. I think I'm going to only get a mat that is 48" in length, so that I can drop one leaf of my large cutting table, and still have the mat on it. Then I can fill in with an added 24" x 36" when I need the entire table top. The added plus of the Mega Mat is the ability to be able to pin into it. I have used that option many times. So, once I get new mats, I will still save a good sized piece of the Mega Mat for that purpose. My current one is pretty scarfed up from rotary cutting tight circles. It now catches on fabric and batting.

And, thanks mailmanldy, for the heads up on the Quilters Select mats!!!!! I didn't know they existed. I love that they have the smaller markings (1/8", 1/2", etc.) all the way across the mat. And, the inch measurement numbers going in both directions! And, all on BOTH sides! I may consider getting two of these to fill the 36" x 48" space. Hopefully, I can get a discount at my Floriani/RNK store. I get most of my Floriani (threads and stabilizers) at a discount there, because I bought my sewing machine there. Hopefully, the mats are included too, since Quilters Select is a Floriani/RNK product.

Dawn

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2108 users online. 215 members and 1893 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X