Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

New to quilting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to quilting

Hi I'm new to quilting I have just bought a go baby cutter as I can't use scissors I can sew ok but I would like to try and do quilting is there any videos on how to start quilting I joined the quilting shows but it's to advance for me . Thank you Kath

Here on TQS there are some basic quilting classes. Check for them under the Learn tab and then Classrooms.

Enjoy!

geneva
    Geneva

Comment

There are lot of quilting classes on Craftsy.com . I've taken a few and learn something new from each. Look at the gallery of projects for the classes and then choose one that appeals to you. Have fun!

Kathy
      Geneva

Comment

Welcome to quilting, it is fun. If you have a local quilt shop (lqs) check with them about beginner classes, most shops offer them. Also, when you start and have questions, you can always post them here on the forum, quilters are very generous with their knowledge and skills. have fun! Pat

Comment

Thank you to all who have replied to my question I will give it a good try Kath

Comment

Come back and tell us how it goes.

You might check out the forum topic virtual retreat. We whine, moan, complain but mostly cheer on each other's successes, failures and struggles. Lots of cool stuff is shared and we all learn.

Like I said, enjoy!

Geneva
            Geneva

Comment

The local quilt shop is the best place to start. You get so much more in person! If that is not available, try all the other suggestions.

AND have fun!

Comment

Hi Kath, Welcome to quilting. Eleanore Burns has several shows on making quilts with the cutters. They are on youtube, and are free. You can they subscribe to her site. Hope this helps. Have fun!
                Linda

Comment

Also, check out Missouri Star quilting videos, there are a ton of them, they are also free, and a lot of them are made with strips.
                  You should also join your local guild, we love helping newbys!! But truly, the most important thing, don't feel intimidated, we all started as beginners, we all learned to do what worked best for us, and so will you. Through the years, my 'quilting sisters' have been there for me, because our common thread is our love of sewing, friendship and making beauty, and of course the occasional glass of wine!

Comment

Welcome, Kath! Yes, I agree, if you can.......join a quilt guild. We had a gal join ours a couple of months ago because she wanted to learn how to quilt. Sometimes there is someone in the guild who will take you under her wing. Also, we have a free sew day every month, and this new gal came and got wonderful sewing tips from a number of us. Plus, some of our enthusiasm rubbed off on her! Just take it slow and easy and don't get discouraged when seams and points are off. We've all been there, and our seam rippers are our best friend. If you cannot handle the regular seam ripper, there is a wonderful tool that looks like a mini electric shaver. It buzzes right through seams, with hardly any effort. (My new best friend!)

Dawn

Comment

Hi I cut some diamonds and I sewed them all to make a star but it went bulky in the middle and would not lie flat . I can sew but I'm never done quilting and I have just bought a go baby to cut the shapes out . My friends thinks I'm mad trying something new at my age I'm 69 but I like sewing and making things but I do get mad if I can't get it right is there anyone that can show me how it's done , once I've been shown I will be able to follow it thanks Kath

Comment

Sounds you are going straight toward one of the harder things in quilt making, the dreaded y-seam! They are tricky!! Kaye Woods has a video on how to do them, which makes them easier, but truly they are challenging, good luck
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkHfcuNzCA

Comment

You did what I did: one of the hardest blocks first!

There are lots of ways to reduce that center bulk; ironing the seams open (or at least the last one) works for me. And if the points don'[t match perfectly, embellish it with a button! And the Y-seams will get better with practice. I stop sewing 1 stitch before the quarter inch mark.

Don't let that deter you from quilting. It is time to do something easy now! Then find what you really like and perfect those skills.

Comment

Originally posted by "Kathmck97" post=136903
                            . My friends thinks I'm mad trying something new at my age I'm 69. Kath
                            "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young." - Henry Ford

Good for you Kath, keep learning!

Kathy

Comment

Kath....They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is one way some quilters do their stars.

All seams are pressed the same way, either to the right or to the left. Sew one half together (probably 4 pieces) and then sew the other half. Then match the two sides up and sew. Pick about three stitches out of the center seam, so that you can press the right side of the seam you just sewed one way (down) and the left side of the seam the opposite (up). The twirl in the center eliminates a lot of bulk.

I have also found it worth my while to only sew a few stitchs right at the center, before sewing the whole seam. If I see that it is "off", I only have a few stitches to unsew.

And, just for the record, most of us have had a center on a star mound up once or twice!

Dawn

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2880 users online. 532 members and 2348 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X