Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Baby Quilt background fabrics

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Quilt background fabrics

I make baby quilts for my great-nieces & nephews. I gather fabrics from stash or purchase and all but once have done pieced blocks. What do you like to use for a background fabric in this situation?

Cream or white seems logical but I hesitate to use those light colors on a quilt that will be a floor mat or snugglie and used by a toddler.

Or do you not think about that and use it anyway?

Just curious.... and I'm only behind on one great-niece born May 10, 2015. It is a gift, they can't complain, right? I have 10 great-n & ns so far with one more in the oven. :cheer: No spouses for my kids and no grandkids... in anything near the far future.
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

I've made a few baby quilts so far (well, I'm starting only my 3rd....).

The first was a lavender print with dark purple diamonds as the feature; no cream or white (but wasn't pieced blocks exactly, either...).

The next was a baby lone star, with the star in bright pinks, the surrounding circle in dark blue & white, and the background triangles in a white fabric printed with multi-colored ribbons (which picked up the blue and pinks).

The current one is butterflies in squares (panel/printed fabric) that will be framed in dark purple batik and with light purple/lavender batik as the border/main background color. The center square will be the same ribbon fabric (I think?) with an applique initial out of the darker purple.

So.....all that to say, I tend to use whatever background color makes sense for the quilt/other fabrics. I might would use a pale pink or a pale blue instead of a cream/white, if I knew the gender already, and if that worked with the other fabrics. But, I just send along color catchers and washing instructions, and don't fret too much over "will this color get dingy" as I assume they'll wash it.

FWIW, I have a couch quilt with cream, and it's the first one I made/finished and only in a very few places is it showing the dinginess of being in use for all this time (it is washed regularly). Another has white but is only 2 yrs old, and again, no sign of staying dirty. Not that we have babies crawling around spitting up on them, but kids, dogs, etc.....in other words, the good quilting cottons you use will wash well and not get that same dingy as a white t-shirt or socks or whatever, if that makes sense.
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

i have made:
      blue and purple stars on white
      red squares on cream
      yellow or orange stars on dark green and dark blue
      Penguins on white....

Then I stopped being normal.

Comment

Ok... good! Thanks.... I think I just needed a smack against the side of my head to not fret over it! :cheer: :silly:

This next one needs white, I don't like the white on white fabrics w/ the paint layer, so will just browse online for something I like. My LQS stores are far so online is easiest for me. No arrows, please! :side:
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired.

Comment

Here are the fabrics --- I ordered them on 3/8 and they arrived across the US on 3/11!! I was thrilled!

I will do a bias binding from the stripe. Plus I ordered a ton extra as our guild program 2 weeks ago had on using stripes in blocks and it was super fun to see! Because I need more ideas....
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired.

Comment

Yum!

I use white in baby quilts, never thought about staining. They are to be used so washed often and I wouldn't want the mother thinking it more important to keep them nice. I was happy to see one on Facebook wrapping up sleepy bods on a flight

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Joyce - great fabric choices!

I'm in Wendy's camp baby quilts are to be used and abused!

Barb :-)

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Joyce I love your fabrics ! I've made lots of baby quilts for my Grandchildren and friends, on reflection most of the baby quilts I made (and make) contain white. I'm in Wendy's camp too.
                Warm wishes Pam (in Scotland)

Comment

Joyce, I believe Luann started a forum topic for us to show our baby quilts. You could check on those.

And I agree with everyone. Baby quilts are to be loved to death. I once told a new mom who I had given a baby quilt to "it's a great compliment to me when you come back in a few years with a tattered and loved quilt I made asking for a new one. However, if I find the quilt on the garage floor as a rag or being used as a paint drop cloth...no more quilts for you!"

I've made baby quilts with all sorts of backgrounds. Make what looks good. The rest will all come together.

Have fun!

Geneva
                  Geneva

Comment

I don't think it matters what colours you use as long as they aren't yukky.
                    The baby won't mind ....it just wants something warm and snuggly to lay on or to be wrapped in.
                    Mind you I have never made one.
                    Anne

Comment

Hi Joyce,
                      I have made many, many baby quilts. I use a coordinating fabric from the front sometimes. But most of the time, I use a minky type fabric. Minky is so soft and easy to work with. Babies of all ages love it. Try it on one of your quilts. I comes in 60 inch wide , so it fits with most small quilts. Just be aware, that it has a one way stretch in it.
                      Linda

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1992 users online. 159 members and 1833 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X