Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

New sewing machine

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sewing machine

I am thinking of getting a new sewing machine. I have a Janome 6600p at the moment and although it is a good machine it's a pain when you want to use the Accufeed (inbuilt walking foot) as you have to unscrew each Accufeed foot from the machine to change the foot.
    I am looking at the Pfaff quilt expression 3.5 as the I D T looks to be much more user friendly and not as clunky as the Janome and much easier to change the feet. I have looked at quite a few videos on line especially from Village Sewing.com they have really good tutorials about the Pfaff and other machines.
    I will probably have to wait until I go to the N E C next year then I could try all the machines. "Although I want it yesterday"
    I would like your input on the Pfaff please.
    Anne

I bought a Pfaff machine with IDT back in 2000. It is awesome. I use it while piecing, sewing on binding, etc. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have to use a special even feed walking foot. From what I see of Bernina's system, I think it was either purchased or licensed from Pfaff.

Go for it!

BethMI

Comment

Thanks Beth, I've sent an email to the only shop near where I live .....in the UK...... to ask if they have a supply of Pfaff that I can try out. I will keep you posted.
      Anne

Comment

Hi Anne,
        I can't give any info on Pfaff machines, I just wanted to say hello as we haven't spoke in a while.
        Warm wishes Pam

Comment

Hi Pam,
          Nice to hear from you to. I see that you have finished the BOM 2014 I've just started to cross hatch mine, I have been doing anything but start on it but now I have started I'm eager to get it finished. The cross hatching isn't so bad but the free motion .......
          I expect it is getting quite cold up in Scotland, it's not too bad here yet. It's the dark days that I hate so just batten down the hatches and sew....especially if I get a new machine.
          I intend to sell my other 2 machines a Janome6600p and a Husqvarna Emerald 118 but will wait until I have my new Pfaff.......if I go for it? I have to try it out first.
          Keep warm
          Hugs
          Anne

Comment

I have a Pfaff Expression 150th Anniversary model. It has a wide throat for room when quilting. The feet are very easy to swap and it's easy to engage/disengage the IDT. Great machine.

Did you ask your local store if you can trade in your older machines when you buy the new one? Might be easier than trying to sell them later.

Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy,
              Yes I did ask about trade in but they don't do it. I would like to wait until the big show in Birmingham UK but it isn't until August next year and you know we always want it yesterday.
              I will try to sell my other machines in one of the patchwork magazines.
              I have found a shop fairly local to me that sell the Pfaff quilt expression 3.5 and I am going to try them.
              If anything went wrong with the machine it's nice to have somewhere close that will fix and also do any servicing needed.
              Anne

Comment

I always had Pfaff sewing machines, I loved their IDT system, however, I don't feel that their machine are quite the high quality that they used to be. I bought their top of the line machine, 2170, brand new about 9 years ago & it has completely died on me a year ago with no hope of ever working again...needless to say how upset I was. I have since bought a used Bernina 830, & even though I still struggle with it, I feel that this machine is a more solid, well built machine. Bernina's also has their own version of IDT, (Pfaff's patent ran out on it), which is the exact same as Pfaff's.

Comment

Hi Anne,
                  I hope that you get a gorgeous machine, that you really love, whatever make or model you decide on. It has been a wee bit chilly here, nothing too bad it was 6 degrees here today, as you say these dark evenings are perfect for quilting. I'm pleased you've started quilting the 2014 BOM, there is so much variation in the quilting that once I started the quilting I really enjoyed it. I am thinking about starting the 2015 BOM (I do prevaricate so much) then I thought I may just wait for the 2016 BOM to start. Last year I bought quite a large amount of Japanese fabrics, so whatever BOM I decide to do I will use these fabrics. Anne, I found a really good fabric shop in Scarborough all the fabrics are £5 a metre and they were named brands, there was such a wonderful selection and they post fabrics too. I did treat myself (stockpile) as I rarely have the opportunity to buy inexpensive fabrics, I usually pay around £14 - £16 a metre and my Japanese fabrics were more expensive. Do you have access to cheap fabric shops where you live?
                  Speak to you soon
                  Love Pam

Comment

Well I did it! I have bought a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and so far I love it. Next Friday I am having some tuition on it as it is so different from my Janome.
                    It is so nice to be able to change the I D T feet.. On the Janome I had to use a screwdriver every time I needed to change the Accufeeed feet.
                    I've been doing the cross hatching on the A to Z BOM and am really bored with it so I've put it aside to sew something else....something Christmasy.
                    I hope every one has a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and peaceful new year.
                    Best wishes
                    Anne :cheer:

Comment

Congratulations Anne!

Enjoy your new friend..... geneva
                      Geneva

Comment

Anne, enjoy your new toy. I am excited for you.
                        Judy
                        Geneva

Comment

Awesome - sounds like you are enjoying your new machine!
                          Barb
                          Geneva

Comment

Congratulations for making the big leap! You will have so much fun with your new machine!

My old Pfaff (now 15 years old) works beautifully, but it lacks a thread cutter and a knee lift / automatic lift for applique. However, it seems foolish and a bit self-indulgent to buy a new machine and spend thousands of dollars for just those conveniences.

BethMI

Comment

Congratulations Anne, have a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year, and a lovely time at your new machine too.
                              Love Pam

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2001 users online. 153 members and 1848 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X