Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What battings and I thread to use

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What battings and I thread to use

I am doing a wall quilt and want to do some detailed quilting. I posted a picture of it on a recent post about applique I think. I am a fan of greenfairyquilts. I think her name is Jody Madsen. She uses a longarm machine and I have a domestic embroidery machine . I will need to practice. The quilt is to be 30"x30, It will involve some matching thread and a swirly design because it is fall leaves falling down. Any videos here you suggest with lessons would be good. I am gathering that lots of the quilt show members like Superior thread. I am going to a class where we try different threads with our machines. The batting issue is important. I think I bought some indiscriminately and will use them in lap quilts etc. Thanks

The class sounds good, a chance to try before you buy. I like wonderfil 40 wt rayon for quilting and find it gives definition and has a sheen. I use it for piecing but it's not a strong thread and if you have tension issues it will split.

For batting I mostly use quilters dream , request weight polyester which shows up quilting really well. I love the trapunto effect you can get with wool but I find you need close quilting or it can be too overwhelming. Works well to prevent creases when folded. Hobbs 80/20 is good too but I don't like polydown at all it's uneven nowadays.

Hope that helps. Oh and put machine quilting in the show technique search and you'll get loads come up.
    Of course we all have different views on your questions :lol:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thank you for your post. I am writing after my thread class. I used a 12 weight cotton and learned that the tension should be set on the top with low tension. And higher tension for thin threads. I tried a metallic called Glitter from Superior, and a silk that was thin from YLI. I bought Superior thread: Silk kimono thread and a blue variegated thread, Super Twist 30 wt from Madiera, and also the Bottom line from Superior.

I am planning to try to free motion with the thin silk thread to match somewhat the background. I think it would be better to use a thin needle for the thinner thread so the holes are minimized. I bought Superior needles 90/14. My sample of this I am looking at looks too gold for the mottled beige background. It might just be good to use Mono poly from Superior to quilt it.

I thought the blue Glitter would do a nice highlight on an ocean under the moon landscape. but it looks dark and the metallics aren't showing up that well on white.

Comment

I prepared two battings for the thread class and like the thinner all cotton batting better than the almost as thin poly batting. There was more of a trapunto effect with the cotton batting. Thanks, Wendy

Comment

I practiced on a quilt sandwich and found I like warm and natural. Judy Madsen said she presrinks her batting and she sells this brand. Her machine quilting is very precise and detailed, tho' I thinknshedoes longarm.

Comment

I also bought 70 and 80 size Superior needles with big eyes, maybe topstitch. Also some size 60's.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2084 users online. 210 members and 1874 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X