Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

quilting on linen?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM is the video. I watched it again and she uses one or two of those folding tables depending on the size of the quilt. That means people in small spaces can do larger quilts and then tear it all down. If the link isn't right I googled: youtube video on how to make a sewing table with foam insulation. I was going crazy with my first quilt because being about 65 or 70" square it was dragging toward the table which is lower if you don't do the insulation on top of your table. She also uses a layer of thick vinyl over it all to help the quilt slide easily. You will love it.

Comment

I didn't expect the link to put it's video right here. That's cool.

Comment

Well I don't see where I got some more responses like from Scoopie. I am trying to make a little girl baby blanket and the minky I bought from Joann's is giving me more trouble than I've had before. I could see thru the criss crossed yellow. So I went back and bought some purple dot minky at Joann's again thinking it would be the same quality as those in quilt shops. It seems to have more stretch in both directions than I have seen before. A friend suggested that I iron fusible fleece batting to the cotton front and I thought that would help. I also tried to square up that fabric before the fusing. Now I am going to google the topic of sewing with minky. I think my old technique of using t pins to stretch it across the stretchier grain might be helpful. I also think I need to baste carefully(I use straight pins). I couldn't find any tutorials about it on my pinterest board for diy baby gifts. Will let you know how it goes. Jan

Comment

Jan, keeping posting and let us know what you learn. I have two pieces of Minky downstairs that I need to at least put a back on. When on vacation the 2 grands with us were cold from the air conditioning. I had DH stop at a fabric shop to find a piece of fleece. I ended up with minky. They were fine covering up with it in the car, but I was told it would ravel or run if not hemmed. I think I will back it with fleece or flannel so it will still be cuddly soft for them. If I do any quilting it will be widely spaced. I will do it on my longarm without stretching it too much.

Comment

I finally got it right. I used my t pins to keep the minky stretched at each side. I ironed fusible fleece to the cotton. Then I started on one side and put straight pins literally every inch from one side to the other. I am planning to do one quilt for this charity each month.I also need to make one for my daughter. That involves cutting a.lot.

Comment

I'm glad you finally found a system that works for you! And, the people who have complained to me about working with Minkee, have perhaps bought their Minkee from Joann's, and therefore maybe it has more stretch to it. I personally did not have a problem, and the quilting on the front side looked really cool on the backside, buried in the Minkee. (I stretched and taped it to my cutting table as I was making my sandwich, working half of the quilt at a time) The only problem I had, was sometimes the bumpie dots became inies instead of outies. I'll post some pictures of the quilting some day when I fire up my main computer.

Dawn

Comment

Sounds great Dawn. My mom told me Amazon.com has minky for 5$ per yard.

Comment

I am a longarm quilter, and I use minky and fleece fabric;s a lot, because customers love it. Just be careful to load the stretchy on the side and DONT roll too tight. Use a loose all over quilting pattern and you will not have a problem. I like to use Superior, mono poly thread as it will not show.

Comment

I'll bet the fleece quilts are very cozy. Thanks for the advice. I may use a long armer to do my next quilt with minky on the back.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1997 users online. 166 members and 1831 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X