Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat July 2015 - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confession time: I haven't worked on any quilt related projects so far this month. Hi, my name is Kathy and I have an addiction...

Back in March, some other quilting friends were posting on their Facebook pages about the end of Droughtlander. Huh? I had to know what this was about, and down the rabbit hole I went - little did I know what a deep hole it was - a gravity well. They were talking about Outlander, the TV series on the Starz channel. I wasn't subscribed to Starz, but I was able to watch the first episode on their website. It was just too tempting, I called up my service provider and immediately got Starz added to my account. A full out Outlander watching marathon ensued for the first eight episodes to catch me up. Still had some time for the first episode of the second half of the season to start, so downloaded the first book onto my Kindle. This stuff is (for me at least) more addictive than crack (well, in all honesty I've never tried crack, but I've heard it's very, very addictive). Four months later, the second eight episodes have finished airing and the second season will not air until 2016. I'm already into book six in the Outlander book series. For those of you who are not familiar, these books are anywhere from 560-1400 pages long.

So, I'm going to try to make myself do at least a half hour of sewing/quilting from now on. Wish me luck.

Any other Outlander fans out there? You can empathize.

Kathy

Comment

Don't worry Kathy, there are a few m&ms left for you. If you'd rather have some of my dots or Luann's milk duds.

Rosemary your piece is amazing. My hat is off to you. I tried to do some fmq on the bargello but it looked stupid. I ripped out two attempts. I ended up doing Sid. I'm not good at feathers. It might be interesting to see what Nancy could do. She's an awesome feather doer. (Proper English there.)

Geneva
      Geneva

Comment

I wouldn't know where to start on the quilting of this tiny quilt. I've seen some really cool full-size bargellos quilted with wavy lines, but I don't know if that would be appropriate for a miniature since they wouldn't really emphasize your skill in doing a miniature, if that makes sense. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you end up doing! I know it'll be breath-taking!

Comment

Hello Kathy, I can totally understand the outlander addiction. A few friends and I read the books a few years ago - I quit cold turkey after book 5 and managed to get cured - they're still going strong... The first half of the first series was just aired on German TV and they were glued to the tv every Wednesday night / I taped them all but haven't watched any yet (mainly because I prefer to watch in the original language) - will see how long I can last

But I can assure you - once you get cought up - there's only a book a year or so - and life can continue with time for other interests...
          :silly: :silly: :silly:
          Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

thanks, all, for the kind words

Rosemary, I am in awe!! Your miniature bargello is absolutely stunning!!! I actually skipped the miniature section at the Houston Quilt Festival last year, because of precision work like that, on such a small scale.....so intimidating! But in a good way!! It's very inspiring, and I have no ideas how to quilt it.....

Nancy, we'll have to check our schedules for Houston closer to time; maybe we can meet up for a lunch or coffee break while there

And, I've forgotten now who posted it, but the dye pots look so tempting!! I'm really getting intrigued by this idea of learning to dye my own fabrics......you all make it look so appealing! Be sure and show us what those look like when they come out of the dye pots (and forgive me not paying more attention to your name, I was so distracted by the gorgeous colors sitting there, I totally forgot to look up and see who it was! :blush: )

Comment

It would be wonderful to meet up with you, Heather! Let's definitely compare schedules when it gets closer. I'm there all week, but am taking a lot of classes.

Comment

Found some great chocolates to share here

Comment

Originally posted by "lotti" post=131554
                  Hello Kathy, I can totally understand the outlander addiction. A few friends and I read the books a few years ago - I quit cold turkey after book 5 and managed to get cured - they're still going strong... The first half of the first series was just aired on German TV and they were glued to the tv every Wednesday night / I taped them all but haven't watched any yet (mainly because I prefer to watch in the original language) - will see how long I can last

But I can assure you - once you get cought up - there's only a book a year or so - and life can continue with time for other interests...
                  :silly: :silly: :silly:
                  The TV series is wonderful - high production standards, gorgeous scenery, detailed sets, exquisite costuming, excellent acting by all. Follows the first book, but with some interesting deviations. Since I just started reading the books a few months ago and there are eight of them, I don't have to wait - just plowing through them. I can see why you stopped after the fifth, it can be a bit tedious, but I'm fascinated reading about the American Colonial pre-Revolutionary War years. I've always liked historical novels. There should be only one more in to finish it off (will have to wait a few years for that inch: ) . Anyway, I've got two and a half more books to read - about 5300 pages down and 2300 to go.... :P I should be so obsessive about quilting!

I've decided to work on a fairly simple project, a baby or toddler quilt for my guild's donation pile. I'm going to do a pattern I've wanted to try for awhile. Sew two circles together, turn right side out, then sew the circles together. I'm using flannel, so I can either include batting or leave it out to make a light weight blanket. Here is what the pattern looks like when you join the circles: http://cdn3.volusion.com/ucpbq.rpzko/v/vspfiles/photos/QHBS-1001-2T.jpg I'll post my progress, to keep me going on the project and my commitment to quilt a bit every day.

Kathy

Comment

Doesn't look simple to me but yes it's manageable units. Project has impact.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Rosemary,
                      I thought they were real until I read the caption under the picture!! Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, ' eye candy '

Please pass me one with caramel in the middle,,,LOL
                      LUANN

Comment

Rosemary, Wow! That little quilt is amazing!!!. It is beautifully designed. For such a little thing, it makes a strong graphic statement. It will capture everyone's attention at the quilt show. They will all want to study it up close. Just beautiful.

Judith

Comment

Luann, Your dyes look great.

I have been dyeing also the past week, and am having trouble. I can't seem to rinse out the excess dye. I have washed with Synthrapol in cold water, and hot water, and rinsed again and again. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
                          Husband is getting irritated with all the water I have am using.

Judith

Comment

Ta da!!

Judith,
                            That seems to be happening to me every so often. I really wonder if we are getting results because of the chemicals that are added to our water. I usually rinse the soda ash and some of the dye out with warmish water. Then I put like colors into an ice water soak for an hour or two. Then I rinse with pretty warm water and they go into a hot water soak for a longer period of time. Overnight if I can stay patient. Then it's into the washing machine with a hot water wash, and two cold rinse cycles. I try to watch and get a color catcher sheet into that last rinse so I can see if I need to put them through the washing machine cycle again. Usually I am good to dry and press after all of this. VIP I put a dash of dawn in ice soak, hot water soak, and I use dawn dish soap in place of synthropol in the washing machine's wash cycle.
                            In the courses I've taken from Candy Glendenning I learned about volume of dye to weight of fabric. That has helped a lot. But that info doesn't work if ice dyeing because you use dye powders not dye stock solutions.
                            Something I learned on this dye day was strong navy will completely cover some reds and don't empty any excess dye stock until you have finished putting all dye and fabric combos together. I had one piece of fabric label to get a portion of medium blue in the center area, and I missed putting it in. That piece turned out very nice, just not what I planned for.
                            Gotta love serendipity if you're a dyer!
                            May God bless your days with enough serendipity to keep them interesting,
                            Luann

Comment

Kathy, your toddler quilt project doesn't look simple at atll - not at all - but i love it
                              Mmmmmh, Rosemary, I think we saw those Pralines (or very similar ones) in the "Chocolate" exhibition at the first Int. Quilt Show in Ireland a few years ago - they're even yummier in person.
                              Oh Luann, soooooooooooo fab, totally love them all. and NO calories
                              :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo:

Comment

Yum Luann. You have a lot of patience with those long soaks but get results. Whereas I just want to see the end results and use quickest method.

I'm going to try painting lace in next few days ready for a class.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2165 users online. 219 members and 1946 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,227   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X