Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LuAnne, Heather and Dawn - Love your work. Very inspiring.

Heather you really ought to take the 'jump' into a quilt show. It's a lot of fun, and when you think you are just a beginner, you end up seeing other stuff, that will make you go 'ooohhh" and 'ahhh", but also stuff that you'll think ? I could do that, or even I could do that better!

I've heard of round robins but never have done one. Is it possible to do one long distance, or is that too complicated? I'm mentioned it to my guild but they say they've been there and done that.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Terrie,
      I think that has to be one of the Saddest Statements anyone can utter! Just because someone did something once, and maybe it didn't turn out too great, they aren't willing to try it anew! Fresh ideas are always out there.
      I just put together an idea for a round robin, using a lot of Wendy's info. I have sent it to the lady that invited me to 'the clubhouse'. Hopefully she will pass it along and with only 8 of us, we could do something pretty fun within less than a year. I sent myself a copy also, so if you want more info on my 'around it' round robin, let me know and I can forward the email on to you.
      I would be very willing to do one long distance. If there are people from other countries an effort needs to be made that a piece stays within one country until everyone in that country has worked on it, then it can go out of country once. This would save a lot on postage and customs!
      If there's others interested in this, let me know and I would be willing to coordinate the activity.
      It would be a lot of fun seeing how other people would interpret your theme and fabric choices.
      Luann

Comment

Yes have fun and post lots of pictures Charae!
        Kathy fun to hear you'll be at Alden Lane too - I've added the garden show to my to do list!
        Luann really like your wool applique and your latest machine quilt especially like your picture of the quilt model.
        Heather - your lone star looks terrific! Go ahead and jump into showing your pieces at your local fair, Nancy's right nice way to share your work etc..
        Wendy your round robin sounds like fun I've not done before.
        Dawn - your pieces look great! Hope the shows a big success.
        Barb

Comment

Luann...I'd be up for a round robin...international would be fun...The last group effort here
          was totally over the top wonderful !! All our exchanges were fun, too..."Whispers across the Pond''
          had 10 members and we worked from each others quilts for inspiration. Keep me in mind .

Comment

Marilyn, and others interested in doing a Round Robin,
            Can you send a message to me at
            [email protected] that way I will have your personal email and be able to put it in my contacts for getting this Round Robin going. I will send you a letter about the idea I have based around a center square or block. If the group is international some of my steps will need to be more refined, but I can work on that once I see how many are interested.
            If my email doesn't show in this message, I'm hoping you can get it from my personal page.
            Let me know if you have any problems finding it.
            Luann

Comment

Luann...things are not cooperating tonite...private message won't work for me ..don't know why! and my reg mail is not
              behaving either!GRRRR :angry: I'm out of town for DH's Dr. appt so will try tomarrow PM. Could you just make a new topic
              here and we can work thru that ??? Worked well in the past.

Comment

I'm interested. I like the row upon row idea. I've always wanted to make a row quilt, but I'll go with what everyone says. Note: This is my preliminary response, I reserve the right to withdraw before the deadline. It's late and I might be thinking straighter in the morning.

Comment

I'm going to be the lurker this time, I've got too many monthly challenges going on that I struggle with at the moment. Bet I'll regret it when I see how much fun you have.

Comment

I like the idea of row by row too. Have to think about what I've got going. Been too busy with life happening to comment much lately but I have been lurking everywhere when I get a chance. MIL passed away and I've been involved with sorting home items -keep/donate/trash/sell- accumulated 70 years in the same house. We'll see about the Round Robin. Many, many 100 mile trips back and forth to get pieces of this work done. It seems I don't know if I am coming or going. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Yeah!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, Lois! I know you were very close!

I will also lurk on the round robin. Would be fun, but I just don't have the time right now. I know you guys will produce some pretty incredible quilts!

Comment

Dawn, your minis are beautiful! I love both, but that white piece and all the things you used to embellish it....very beautiful! I love the juxtaposition of sea shells and "winter white" -- very cool!

Wendy, your started row is really striking! I hope you have fun! A friend of mine did a Round Robin, where they started with a center (as Luann is trying to organize), and I thought how fun it would be! A row would be neat, too. I hope you enjoy the different rows to make and love your piece when it comes home to you!

Lotti, those duck (it's a duck, yes??) photos are stunning! How wonderful to catch him while fishing....very cool! I'm quite jealous, of your access to such beauty, and your skills as a photographer. Truly a gift!

I did finish the quilting on my lone star; it's only about 38" x 38" square, since it's a baby quilt, so not that big. I don't know how much it shows in the photo, but I outlined the various "ribbons" in the star (following the star shape in each row), about 1/4" from both seams in each row. The one "interrrupted" row (the darker pink in the middle, where the points are the white fabric) I did a decorative stitch instead to accent it, alternating one stitch through the center and then a stitch along the inside of each edge (it's a scallopy looking stitch).

Then in the blue/white I tried to enhance the "woven" look, making gentle curves along the inside edges of each color, one direction (vertical) for the white and the other (horizontal) for the blue, the way ribbons sort of bow a bit when woven in together.

In the 4 corners where the white ribbon fabric is, I did a giant bow (like tied ribbon); I drew this onto card stock, cut it out, pinned/taped it to the fabric and used my walking foot to slowly quilt around it. Then took off the paper to go in and do the detail in the center of the bow. Then I used a cream thread to do a squiggly fill in around/behind the bow, with my free motion foot. I do not free motion quilt very much, so practiced first, and it turned out okay. This machine (I think I mentioned, I upgraded to a preowned Janome Memory Craft 3500) is easier to manage it and I've been sewing longer and quilting longer and so it was easier to get the movement of the fabric at a good speed for nice sized (and mostly fairly even) stitches.

Binding is on the front, I will hand stitch today and possibly take it to the fair as well if I finish, but I also won't rush it. We shall see. I did drop off the other 2 little quilts, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway -- pictures. The front, a close up of the front, and a close up of the back.

Comment

Lois, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your MIL. Prayers for you and the family as you walk through this grief. (((hugs)))

Comment

It turned out wonderful, Heather! Another idea for quilting the bows would be to use freezer paper instead of the card stock. You can iron the freezer paper right onto the quilt so it's easier to get on than with pins or tape, and the freezer paper bends so it can hug the quilt top a little more easily while quilting. Then you just pull it right off when done. Just another idea to add to you tool belt in case you hadn't heard of that tip.

Comment

Originally posted by "idaho" post=133101
                              Luann...things are not cooperating tonite...private message won't work for me ..don't know why! and my reg mail is not
                              behaving either!GRRRR :angry: I'm out of town for DH's Dr. appt so will try tomarrow PM. Could you just make a new topic
                              We can certainly start a different thread, but considering that we don't show what we've done until the end I think it would be a pretty quite spot. And if we all stay here, and post a short note about finishing border #? on so-and-so's piece, and that it's on the way to (name of next person). It would keep the original owner updated as to where-in-the-world it is, and the next person would be keeping an eye out for the package. I know that if I receive my next piece to work on early in the month, I may send it off before the last day, just to stay tidy around my house. Staying here keeps more lurkers informed. We can change the idea of NOT showing progress to show ALL progress if others would like that. It's pretty open to what 'we' decide to do.
                              The other issue is for me to connect with each person, that is 'interested' , via personal email, so I can get everyone's physical addresses to coordinate the best mailing routes. I would also want to send the full 'plan' to each person ahead of time so they can 'confirm' that they want to be involved at this time.
                              Anyone else that wants to put their ideas in on this are encouraged. Even if you plan to not join in, your ideas are welcomed.

Luann

Comment

Originally posted by "AnnieLu" post=133119
                                Originally posted by "idaho" post=133101
                                We can certainly start a different thread, but considering that we don't show what we've done until the end I think it would be a pretty quite spot. And if we all stay here, and post a short note about finishing border #? on so-and-so's piece, and that it's on the way to (name of next person). It would keep the original owner updated as to where-in-the-world it is, and the next person would be keeping an eye out for the package. I know that if I receive my next piece to work on early in the month, I may send it off before the last day, just to stay tidy around my house. Staying here keeps more lurkers informed. We can change the idea of NOT showing progress to show ALL progress if others would like that. It's pretty open to what 'we' decide to do.
                                The other issue is for me to connect with each person, that is 'interested' , via personal email, so I can get everyone's physical addresses to coordinate the best mailing routes. I would also want to send the full 'plan' to each person ahead of time so they can 'confirm' that they want to be involved at this time.
                                Anyone else that wants to put their ideas in on this are encouraged. Even if you plan to not join in, your ideas are welcomed.

Luann
                                :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo: Luanne, I don't suppose you have actually looked to see how many pages we filled up whilst we were NOT TALKING about the Chinese Whispers Quilts :whistle:, as they were a bit before your time. Lets just say, that it might well not be as quiet as you think it might :P

I just checked - we managed to not talk about the CW quilts for 214 pages! :lol:

Personally I would prefer a separate thread for notifying of postage progress etc, rather than the information melding into this retreat, as it would be easier to find - jus' sayin'.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2210 users online. 282 members and 1928 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X