Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "Jdeluka" post=130956
    Who says quilting isn't a dangerous hobby!

I took a short break from my wedding star quilt this weekend. We are visiting family for a birthday party next week and I wanted to have some hand work to occupy my time in the car. I decided to prepare some pieces for an applique quilt I've been wanting to tackle and decided to use the freezer paper template method rather than attempting needle turn just yet. While using my mini iron to prepare the pieces I managed to knock the iron stand over...onto my hand...after the iron had been sitting on the wire portion of the stand for about 10 minutes getting nice and hot :S I now have a beautiful third degree burn on my middle finger...Thanks to a lot of cold water and some quick first aid I managed to prevent the burn from spreading further than where the metal touched skin, but DANG! :blink: There is now a cloud of foul words hanging in the atmosphere above my sewing room that may take some time to disperse.

I'll recover, no permanent damage done (except a scar to add to my collection) but I had to share my bone-headed move with others that would understand. I'll need to clean the foul mood out of my sewing room with some positive quilting vibes this week - think I can convince the husband to let me return to unsupervised quilting :P
    I have never trusted those wire stands that come with the mini iron, so I believe I am aware just how easily an accident like that could happen. I ditched the wire stand and found and old crock, very heavy, very difficult to knock over. It must be 4-5" in diameter and about 6" tall. Its where I store my mini iron and where I put it while in use. I have never had the crock over heat, but perhaps I should sit it on a silicone pad just in case the bottom gets too hot. I am not home right now and can't take a picture of the setup but I will when I return. How do the rest of you stay safe from those dangerous little implements.

Comment

You just can't they keep biting you.

iron doesn't look too great either, it needs its own crock. Have you a spare one Lois.

Jdeluka hope you heal quick.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Judith, your detailed pictures give a nice visual of the process of creating the arcs. I did not know about the ruler. I can see how a person could use it to create their own paper pattern. However, as has been mentioned before, the first really major step is the fabric selection. Excellent advice was given to solve that issue.

Oh Jdeluka! I have a love/hate relationship with my mini iron. I burned a nasty hole in my large cutting mat. I was so involved fussing with my appliqué pieces I failed to notice the iron had fallen off it's stand. I came very close to a real fire! Who knew that applique was dangerous? Sending healing thoughts and happier sewing days ahead.

Comment

Lois, your crock idea sounds good. I have some small pottery vases that I should be able to use. The stands really need a warning label. I used a plate to finish my applique project and have not started another one - yet.

Comment

Playing catchup this morning!

Geneva, congratulations! Very interesting design and finishing details. I enjoyed studying it.

Luann, I like your dyed pieces. While not the brightest they are interesting. I really have to make time to fold and squirt dye!

Tribblemom, your work shows there are so many interesting ways to add color to fabric. I had not thought about using Saran wrap bunched up. I did do that technique to create a background for a border while painting a room.

Such wonderful ideas and inspiration. Ya'll just make me smile!

Comment

Judith,
              Thanks for the pictures. I had read the email that comes but pictures don't show unless I'm on the site. So, I was quite bewildered, UNTIL, I came here and could see those pictures. I never thought about string piecing when doing paper piecing, it could sure save a lot of time. It would also be so handy for when you are doing a considerable number of the exact same piece. Like the 'amazing spiral' table topper that has been on the "someday" project list. This will likely be a technique to add to one of my virtual retreat days!
              Thank you so much.
              Luann

Comment

Here it is - my new wall full of storage

there is even some unfilled space behind the chicken pie hmy: By the way, to hang my CW quilt, I used some stick up magnetic strip across the top of the unit and a second piece inside the hanging sleeve. It is working fine (unless I want to get to the top shelf, then I have to take it down). I am planning to continue the magnetic strip right across the top, and then it will be easy to re-arrange and to hang light things up, to cover the files etc

Jdeluka, sorry to hear of your misadventure with your iron. The worst ironing accident I ever had was when I was ironing a blouse on a folded towel on the floor and I caught my thigh with the iron ops: Least I ddn't melt the carpet though :whistle:

Comment

Rosemary - Awesome new storage! Great idea using magnetic strip across the top of the unit, I've not thought of that. How are you storing your fabric?
                  Barb :-)

Comment

So far there is no fabric in the wall units, it is all books, magazines, office bumf and a couple of boxes with embroidery threads/kits and a box of lativian gloves kit & knitting needles. However the postal box to the right of the mirror does contain my scraps that I am attempting to get cut into strips for crumb strip piecing. Oh yes, and behind the yellow hexi muggie from Lois is my thimble making work box & thimble books from Japan. Nearly all of my quilting fabrics are either in plastic boxes on the other side of the room or in a large shopper that lives at the bottom of the airing cupboard unless it has been hauled out for use. Dressmaking fabrics are slightly under less control :whistle:

The window to this room faces east, and these units are facing south, so I will need coverings should I store fabrics on them, because we don't always remember to close the curtains.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. The nice part about it is the burn isn't painful - because it was so deep. The bad part is it will probably take a month or more to heal :blush: I just have to watch closely for infection and try to keep it out of water

Judith - I've heard of others using a coffee cup as you describe, but I was so worried the iron would be too top heavy. I tried it with a cool iron once and it just seemed too unstable. I liked that the stand kept it low to the table and I figured the worst that would happen is I would scorch my table - guess I was wrong!

Lois - I really like the crock idea...mabey I can find a ceramic flower pot at the craft store next time I visit.

Comment

PosyP - the shelves look great! Want to come over and help me next :P

Comment

Heck Jdeluka you really did do it properly and branded yourself.

Looks good Rosemary keep building.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Rosemary,
                            Your wall storage units look great.

My fabric is stored in bookcases. I was concerned that the fabric might fade from the daylight bulbs in the ceiling. I bought some blackout drapery lining. I installed inexpensive cafe-curtain tension rods in the top of the bookcase, and made a blackout curtain to cover the bookcase, covering the fabric. My plan was to make nice fabric draperies to cover the blackout lining, but I haven't done that yet.

I learned a new word. Bumf.

Judith

Comment

Rosemary, absolutely excellent storage! I just love organization!

Daylight light bulbs can fade fabric? I did not know that and had not considered that fact. Bumf!

Comment

Nothing stimulates creativity like being able to easily access your stuff and having room to work. Storage looks great!

Picts finally loaded to my computer. Here's my storage system for my mini iron whether it's hot or cold.

And here are the storage baskets for my grandson's toyes.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2300 users online. 264 members and 2036 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X