Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Mystery Quilts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Quilts

I would like to know who likes mystery quilts. What in particular you like about them? What don't you like about them? What is your experience with them? Have you ever presented one, and how did it go? Do and don'ts? Any suggestions are welcomed. I have been asked to present the mystery quilt for my guild next year. I've done two previously, but I'm all out of ideas. Let me know if you have a favourite pattern that could be used ( without copyright violation). I've found a few patterns, but I'm wondering if the colour choices might be difficult. Some people like to use their stash - as in a scrappy quilt. Would you make one if it was not scrappy? Many thanks.

I've done several mystery quilts and I think they're fun. Some people don't like them because there's definitely the risk of making a quilt top that you hate, but I figure that if I like the colors and it'll keep me warm, then it's a good quilt. Of course, if I lived somewhere where fabric was very expensive, I would probably feel differently.

I personally like scrappy mystery quilts more than non-scrappy ones, but then I tend to like scrappy quilts better so that's not surprising. I guess what I like about mystery quilts are that you are the social aspects (I've always done them with a group, either locally or online) and the fun of not knowing what you are actually making. For some, it's a nice way to push yourself to make more complicated quilts that you might be scared to make if you saw the final quilt. This isn't so much the case for me since I'm dumb enough to be willing to try just about anything.

I haven't run a mystery quilt so I haven't searched for patterns, so I can't help you there. Have fun!!

Comment

When I was teaching quilting I did a mystery quilt class. I found that 2 blocks that go together is best for a one day workshop. Students need time to master the blocks and make several, so quick sewing/cutting techniques are best. They need to understand everything and be able to go home and finish the quilt.

geneva
      Geneva

Comment

I think this is where EQ7 comes into it's own. You could design it, choose the colours you like and get all the measurements you need at the same time. Does it run over several weeks, months? You don't want to make it too complex. Have a look at Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville mystery quilts and you will see how she does them. Maybe that will give you some inspiration.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Rita. I'll check that out.

I don't have EQ, but it's on my wish list! The way we do them each year, runs from fall to Spring. I have a couple in mind,but not all
          would be good for scrappy. One of them has 2 blocks that fit together, so thanks for the tip, Geneva. So, I appreciate the comment about including scrap quilts.

I like them because it forces us to be very accurate, so that they will fit together! The gal who did them last year invited people who needed help to her place and she included very good directions.

Anyone want to share a pic?

Comment

This is the first mystery quilt I made in a 2-day class. It was a marathon Fri evening then all day Sat event. She had us use flannel fabrics:

Then my second mystery done through our guild. Funny thing, it was the same quilt but with different instructions and I changed the borders a bit to add some interest:

I did another with the guild, but don't seem to have pictures. Then I did this one through our LQS. I don't remember who the designer was, and I think I changed the borders a bit again. This one still needs to be quilted:

Finally, Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion quilt from this winter. This also still needs quilting:

That's all I've got.....

Comment

Thanks. Great Pics. How did you know the first two were the same, or did you just find out as you went along? I like your border in #2.

I've looked at Bonnie Hunter's page and I really like the Mystery quilt from 2013 - Celtic Solstice, but I can' seem to find the pattern. The link says the page isn't there anymore. So, perhaps she is going to publish it.

Comment

I realized it halfway through. Totally different instructions. The first one had us make units like the flying geese and 4-patches. The second had us strip-piecing blocks. It was pretty funny!

I don't remember if Celtic Solstice is in More Adventures with Leaders and Enders or if it's going to be in a not-yet-published book, but she's definitely going to publish it. With her more recent mystery quilts she's only been leaving them on the Web site for a couple of months, then removing them for later publishing.

Comment

I've not done a mystery quilt, I bet it is fun especially when you begin to see it unfold.

Comment

Yes, Barb. It's lots of fun. Amazing to see so many varieties of the same pattern. I did one with a white background and another gal made hers with deep dark blues, burgundies and off whites - a variation of red-white-blue. It was fabulous. Just look how different Nancy's are.

If any one likes, I can send you the month-by-month instructions when I get around to it, but it won't be until the fall. I might be fun.
                    Just PM me, and I'll keep you name on a list. I actually love doing this. I've just asked a few for copyright permission. Some say no. Some say yes. Maybe I'll contact the Bonnie Hunter people and ask where I can buy the pattern.

Comment

I've only done one mystery quilt, Celtic Solstice. On her web page, Bonnie Hunter also has a boatload of free (scrappy) quilt patterns. I wonder whether there might be something there that you could draw from. I was drawn to doing it because I had a friend (online) to work along with on it. I liked the color scheme so I was not worried about the design of the quilt and whether I would like it or not. More important to me was knowing that I would be making lots and lots of blocks that would help me hone my piecing skills. I also like the fact that Bonnie Hunter ran with new instructions every week, which forced me to work hard on getting that week's work done. However, she encouraged people to do as much as they could for that week's task but drop it and start the next week's instructions when they came out, then you could go back and catch up on the weeks that were unfinished. This way you never got so behind that you might consider giving up on the project. I learned a lot and would definitely do it again!

Comment

A variation of Celtic Solstice is definitely on my wish list. Actually thinking about it :huh: , it is what I am doing for my leaders & enders whilst I am working on my miniature, Well the 4 patches at least. But I am thinking of changing the block that is in the top left corner of Renata's picture a bit, just haven't decided to what yet.

Comment

I love the Celtic Solstice and Nancy your version is gorgeous. I might just try to get the pattern one day and just do it! Although...I think I remember seeing a pattern that is similar...just have to find it.

Remember that this Mystery I'm doing won't begin until the fall and you only get one clue a month, so anyone who wants to join from here, I think you'd have no problem doing it.

Comment

It's beautiful, Renata!! I wish I had joined in on that one, but maybe someday I'll go back and do it. The other one that I really like is Easy Street.

Comment

I'll do it Terrie. Put me down provisionally

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2084 users online. 210 members and 1874 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X