Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Basting a quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basting a quilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeWBOnbC90

I found this and thought it was interesting especially using Steam a seam tape for basting.

Anne

Those are great ideas, especially the steama seam. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by "anne1" post=124791
      I found this and thought it was interesting especially using Steam a seam tape for basting.

Anne
      I have tried both Steam-a-Seam, dressmakers basting tape (water soluble), Mistyfuse squares and Clovers fusing strips for stained glass appliqué to baste smallish quilts and it works very well. I prefer the water soluble basting tape or Mistyfuse because they are undetectable after quilting and washing but that is just personal preference.
      Marianne

Comment

Thanks Marianne.....I have not tried Mistyfuse.....YET!
        I just thought for a wall hanging it seems an easy way instead of pins.
        Maybe I will try it on my Christmas houses if I ever get it finished.
        Anne

Comment

You're welcome Anne. I have problems with my hands so safety pins is not an option for me and ordinary pins can be painful sometimes even with bits of kitchen sponge as Pinmors. I do some basting by machine but only if I can have the whole project on the extension table which limits me to about 20"x20"; for larger pieces the fusible tapes have been a very good option for me.
          Let me know how you get on.
          Marianne
          PS Mistyfuse is hard to get hold of in UK - I got some through a friend.

Comment

Recently on the forum someone mentioned a basting gun? it sounded great, but I did not write it down. HELP
            Can anyone help? is there a search for the forum? Janet

Comment

http://www.quiltak.com

This is the one I have and it works great.

Diane

Comment

I use this one but only ever in the seams. Basting guns can leave holes in your quilt that will not close up ofter washing
                http://www.fastener.averydennison.com/product.aspx?id=222
                I also have the Quiltak but only use that for basting toiles when I do dressmaking.
                I have just finished a quilt that I basted with the MicroStitch

Comment

Thanks Marianne and Diane, neither of these sound like the one I am looking for, but they are options. I will check my history on this iPad. Janet

Comment

I found what I was looking for. Judith posted it. It is microtach. Now to google the web site to make sure. Janet :cheer:

Comment

My Microtach leaves holes no larger than my quilter's safety pins. They disappear completely by rubbing them away.
                      The easiest way make Microtach holes disappear is to wash the quilt - assuming the quilt is intended to be washed, such as a bed quilt, or a baby quilt or a table runner. Unless it is an art quilt, I usually wash my quilts anyhow after I have finished them.
                      If it is a quilt I don't want to wash, I make them disappear by rubbing them with the rubbery end of the Dritz Seam-Fix seam ripper, or a pencil eraser that doesn't leave color.
                      They disappear more easily if I dab them first with the tip of a small brush dipped in water - much the same way you would remove water-soluble marking for quilting.
                      I buy my Microtach and refills at my local AC Moore with a coupon from the Sunday paper. If I don't have an AC Moore coupon, I use a coupon from JoAnn's. JoAnn's and ACMoore honor each other's coupons.

Comment

Micro tach and micro stitch are both Avery products.Are they the same? Seems as if micro tach has more variety of choices. Needle size? I don't have an A.C. Moore store in my area, what do they sell? Janet

Comment

Thank you Anne for posting the video, I've never used steam a seam for basting but I'm going to try it on a smaller piece. I am contemplating how to baste my TQS BOM 2014 at the moment. I usually either hand baste or spray baste larger quilts as I can't use safety pins. What I really need is fairy godmother to baste my larger quilts but I don't know where I can get one of those :unsure: .
                          Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Hi Janet,
                            I took a look at mine. Turns out I have both a Microtach and a Microstitch. They look identical, except that one is red and the other is green. They they both work the same and use the same needle and nylon micro fasteners. Refill #11186. I bought my Microtach years ago. I bought the Microstitch at AC Moore to have a spare. I use both now. I load one with black nylon fasteners to use on light fabric, and I load the other with white fasteners to use on dark fabrics.

I see online that Microtach comes with 2 needle sizes. Both needles are the same diameter, but one is longer than the other. I have the short needles in both of mine. I would be afraid the longer needle would not hold as snug and the quilt layers would shift. I think the Microtach with longer needles might be more for commercial use.

I think all the different basting methods have their advantages and disadvantages. I like this one because I have carpal tunnel. Pin-basting is way too painful. I like spray-basting also, but only outside. I mostly make large bed quilts and I don't relish spray-basting on my deck in the cold.
                            I like being able to free-motion anywhere I want without being restricted by pins.

You asked what AC Moore sells. AC Moore sells arts and craft supplies; fine art, scrapbooking, cake decorating, floral, children's arts and crafts, yarns, knitting, and a selection of sewing/quilting notions.

Comment

Hi Pam, Have you ever thought about getting a quilt basted by a long arm quilter ( If you have one in your area)
                              I don't think they charge too much and then you could do the quilting yourself.....just a thought!
                              Keep warm
                              Anne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2522 users online. 315 members and 2207 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X