Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Continuous bias tape

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuous bias tape

I need to make a great deal of continuous quarter inch bias (based on my pattern 186 inches minimum). Seaming it as I would continuous bias for a binding prevents it from running through a bias tape maker (the seam is too bulky to pass through freely). When I try to cut it by hand and press it the tape gets very wonky and irregular. I know there was an episode showing an easy way to make it, but I can't find it when trying to use the search function. Any suggestions would be welcome!

It's in Show 1312. There is a new show list feature that lists techniques by alphabetical order. There are other shows, too, that talk about binding. I like Amanda's technique for continuous binding. It works! I know what you mean about the seams getting stuck in a bias tape maker. I've never been successful with them. As long as you don't stretch the strip, some of the wonkiness with hand cutting won't matter when you fold it. You may be able to work out the irregularities.

Consider, too, if you aren't using it on curves, binding on the straight grain or cross grain works just as well.

Comment

Thank you! Unfortunately there are a number of curves in the pattern so bias is required. I'll give this a shot though!

Comment

I teach this. I put up my slide show as a short video. It doesn't have the cutting instructions or a photo of it. But it will get you right up to the point of applying your scissor and cutting on the line. The beauty is that you only have to sew two seams and only have to cut one time... and you never sew on the bias (you don't have to sew the short ends together either)Yet another guide on tube cut bias binding

Comment

Very nice video !! and Blog !! Wonderful reading ! BB method is my favorite way ...easy and fast. Hope you
          keep chime-ing in here!

Comment

So know I think I know your name, Kelly Allen? Excellent slide show, I've bookmarked this because I do it so seldom that I need to look something up every time I need it. This is the same technique taught in show 1312, but I really like your graphics.

Comment

Great video - clear and easy to understand
              Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Thanks everyone...This bias strip method seems to work much better/faster for wider strips. The quarter inch finish is just so small the tiniest error is amplified and noticible. I finally ended up cutting my own bias pressing bar out of a strip of heat resistant template and after several singed fingers and way too much time at my iron I managed to turn all the edges and come up with a smooth looking quarter inch strip. I definitely don't plan on repeating a similar project any time in the near future though - unless I find a tape maker that can handle seams!

Comment

For 1/4" or tinier, I've been using Quilters Press Bars. My set is antique, but Karen Kay Buckley sells a set and has a video here:
                  http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/videos.php
                  I find them very easy to make if my initial fabric strip is long. They are kind of a pain to get over a join in strips.

There is also a Youtube on Sew Easy metal press bars.

See Suzanne Marshall's show
                  http://thequiltshow.com/watch/show-list/video/latest/show-203-ribbon-winning-applique
                  For yet another technique for tiny stems.

I just re-read your post, Jdeluka. What are you making?

Comment

Susan, You caught me :-)
                    Thank for the compliments from you and Marilyn.

To cut it very narrow when there is less room for error, I'll put a small short ruler between my fingers on one hand to ensure I keep a constant width on the strip I cut off.
                    Kelly

Comment

I've just ordered a set of KK Buckley's 'perfect stems' after following Susan's link. KKB's perfect circles and ovals are excellent, I'm getting KKB scissors in one of my Christmas presents too. I use the Celtic Design Co. bias bars which I've had for years and I really like. I'll post on the forum how KKB's bars perform. Susan, thank you for all the tips/links that you post here for us.
                      Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Suehenyon -
                        Been too busy at work to check the forum recently...I had heard about Karen's bias bars, I have her perfect circles and really like them. I may need to look into ordering a set from my quilt shop. I was making Alex Anderson's Christmas tree pattern - the one with the string of lights around the outside boarder. Shame on me I didn't finish it in time for Christmas this year, but I can't fail to finish it this winter...if my boys will only give me some time alone in my sewing room!

Thank you all again for your help! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comment

I have received the KK Buckley bias press bars. They were supposed to be set of 6 but only 4 were in the packet so I am being sent another pack. I haven't used them yet but they look similar to plastic cable ties, I'll let you know how I go on with them and continue to use my trusty old Celtic Design Co bias bars until they arrive. I can't resist a new sewing gadget.
                          Merry Christmas to all Pam

Comment

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1943 users online. 157 members and 1786 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25584   Active Members: 1,288  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X