Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

finished squares are not the same size

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finished squares are not the same size

I am making a sampler quilt, and for the begining squares I used the 1/4" bernina foot without the guide, then used the one with the guide. They came out 6 1/4" and 6 1/2". The problem is cutting them down takes away the seam allowance from the points. So can the smaller ones be used in the quilt, or do I have to remake them?

One thing you can do is increase the size of all of the blocks by putting strips of fabric around each of your blocks. You could use 1 1/4" strips around the bigger blocks and 1 1/2" strips around the smaller ones. This would make them all the same size. It becomes a design decision.

Comment

If the block is too small, make the seam allowance smaller. If the block is too large, make the seam allowance larger. The blocks can probably be re-stitched.

When this happens to me, I just stitch inside or outside the existing seam before I remove the first stitching. Sometimes, you don't even have to remove the first stitching, if it is in the seam allowance.

I don't have success with precision piecing by using just a foot on my Bernina. To insure consistency, get a Collins or Dritz Quilter's Guage ruler (Joann's has them). This ruler has holes in it through which to drop the needle. Using the needle positioning, find where the quarter inch should be stitched. I like using the Seam Guide from Bernina (accessory) to provide a wall for guiding the fabric. Some people use post-it notes or sticky tape, but both those options wear out and shift.

This process insures a consistent quarter inch using a variety of feet. If you have a 9 mm feed dog, some of the 1/4" feet don't really hold the fabric securely. Retest yourself every time the machine set-up is changed. Make sure you are feeding your fabric exactly parallel to the foot or guide and not wandering off at the end.

I see that Sally Collins is coming up as a guest. She is the queen of precision.

(well, now, just checked the show list & didn't see her listed. Was I dreaming? Maybe next season)????

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice! This quilt does have sashing, so I could make the adjust the size there. The funny part is...the pattern says the blocks are only 6" when finished lol!

Comment

Dorothy, that means they should be 6 1/2 before they are sewn together.

Comment

Sue's right there....6 1/2 equals 6 in. finished.....I'd try blocking the 6 1/4 blocks to correct size
            with steam and hot iron. pin them to correct size and have a go.....should be easy to concur 1/4 inch.

Comment

If you go to Classroom and find Laura Nownes class here:
              learn/classrooms/
              you can learn a lot about accurate piecing before you embark on your next quilt. I started my journey on accurate piecing by following this class along and learnt heaps. Look through the forum posts for this class too if you decide to follow this class
              Marianne

Comment

Nancy's idea of using sashing to even up your blocks is great. Have you ever seen Sharyn Craigs cutting corners ruler she has a video on youtube she is all about setting the blocks after they are sewn, I have participated in round robin groups and you don't always get 12.5 inch blocks back and I am not unsewing the sashing is a much more productive technique. Joan

Comment

These sashing strips are also called "coping strips" for just this reason -- you are coping with uneven block sizes. I just couldn't remember this name in my original post....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1974 users online. 187 members and 1787 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X