Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

pre-cuts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre-cuts

Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble with pre-cuts? On several occasions I have tried layer cakes and they have several squares that are not square. It is very difficult to make them work in a quilt because they are quite distorted. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have also had some problems with other pre-cuts, however, the layer cakes seem to be the worse. I don't think I will buy them again. I thought they would be great time savers but have found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

I bought bali-pop once (2 1/2 strips) - thinking that I would love all the colors - but it turned out that half of the fabric I wouldn't have bought if I had seen the whole picture. I managed to make a nice QUAYGO, but I will not buy them again.
    The other thing, I prefer to pre-wash my fabric, so I might as well buy yardage, and rotary cut - but if you own an Accuquilt, you can make strips easily and fast.

Andrée

Comment

I can see the difficulty if you prefer to pre-wash your fabrics. Pre-cuts are great for applique and scrap quilts which utilize lots of pieces. I use them for hexagons, Farmers Wife Blocks and Dear Jane blocks that are under 7 or 8 inches. I have never used them as they are cut and sewn them together without cutting them into smaller shapes or pieces. Since the squares are about the size I need for those projects, I don't need to buy large cuts, and they allow a broader selection of fabrics for the type of quilts that I do. For example, I recently made a Stamp Basket quilt, and I made two 5 inch stamp baskets out of 1 ten inch square. Thus a layer cake with 42 square = 84 blocks.

Comment

I am such a die-hard pre-washer that pre-cuts don't do well for me. The worst was the baby quilt kit with die-cut turtle shapes...I almost made a real mess of it before I got them stitched down. ops: I'll just keep my trusty rotary cutter handy!

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

I won't even buy FQs any more that are pre-packed since I had a very bad experience with some I bought at a show.
          I was going to use these for making scarves for Christmas so only opened the packages recently. The company never even replied to me e-mail when I wrote and complained.
          I have also in the past bought pre-cut strips that were so wonky I had to cut them into squares to use them
          So in future I stay well away from pre-packaged fabric - this is one experience I have learnt from

Marianne

Comment

Marianne I have had similar problems to you. Moda seems to be one of the companies that produces very accurate pre-cuts.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I also have had similar problems but have found Moda to be real good and seem to be cut very well and the serated edge helps with no fraying. I have used the squares and mostly the 5inch ones for applique as most times I have only needed small amounts so I find this better cost wise, and you can add the bits oeft over to your stash and use the left overs for other applique projects. But I find that I need to buy the expensive ones like Moda as I said above they are very well cut, the other brand I have bought and fouond great are Edyta Sitars' fabric at Laundry Basket Quilts.

Taree NSW - Australia
              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I too, have never had an issue with Moda precuts, or any factory packaged precuts. However, I have seen inaccuracy in precuts from box stores, shows and quilt shops. where the precuts were cut directly from bolts of yardage. I live on a ranch on the edge of the Texas Wild Horse Desert. There are no quilt shops within 100 miles. I can order a charm pack online without spending a lot of money, and if I love the fabrics, order yardage later. I would love to see more applique backgrounds, and fat eighth bundles available. If you live in a remote area, like me, these precuts are really handy. Love those candies 2.5 inch squares for English paper piecing hexagons.Thank you so much for sharing.

Taree NSW - Australia
                My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I do not like pre-cuts. I bought a Bali-pop 2 1/2" strips and there were a lot I couldn't use because they were 2 1/4 in spots. The other thing I do is price out what you are paying per yard - nixs the spending right away. You pay premium for someone else to do the cutting.
                  Diane in Wyoming

Comment

You are so right. But, I live many, many miles from a quilt shop. Most online retailers dealing with quality fabrics will not cut less than 1/2 to 1 yard. If you know some please post. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shoeboxquilts
                      You are so right. But, I live many, many miles from a quilt shop. Most online retailers dealing with quality fabrics will not cut less than 1/2 to 1 yard. If you know some please post. Many thanks.

I understand. It is 70 miles to my nearest quilt shop. Most of the quilting I do pre-cuts are not necessary. I do collect a fat quarter here and there when a shop I might visit has them discounted. I like to use Edyta Sitars half square triangle paper on them. But I don't buy collections anymore. Just like fabric they got more and more expensive.
                      Diane in Wyoming

Comment

No doubt some precuts are better than others. The same goes for kits. Of course, you don't' know how good they are until you buy them! I have more of an issue with the quality of fabric and cuts being ongrain. I learned that if I buy a kit, to make the quilt right away. If for some reason you need more fabric, it usually is still available on a bolt somewhere!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2325 users online. 244 members and 2081 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X