Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Quilt Patterns

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Patterns

I am not creative enough to create my own quilt block, is that a bad thing?

Nothing is good or bad as long as you make blocks you really like

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Since there are several gazillion different blocks it would probably be hard to totally invent a new one, especially if you are using simple geometry. 'It's not what you do,it's the way that you do it, and that's what gets results' in the words from a song (Banana-Rama & the Fun Boy Three) Don't sweat it, find what you like and play with it. We all make 'traditional blocks' along the way.

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

No, it is not. I quilt because I enjoy it. I enjoy the process of picking the patterns, selecting the fabric, washing and ironing it, cutting it, piecing, and yes, even binding it. Notice I didn't say quilting it - my DH does that for me because I don't enjoy it. I took my first class in 1976 and I'm still quilting and I still don't create my own blocks. I may change patterns or create a quilt from one I've seen in a picture but creating blocks is something I don't want to do. Take whatever part of this process you enjoy and do it.

Comment

completely okay! There are so many options for quilt patterns, you'll have loads to keep you busy. One of my favorite sites for beginning stuff is Gen X Quilters Block Library -- she links tutorials, labeled by photo, that are available on the web for free. Not necessarily printable patterns, and not whole quilts, but a great place to try out different blocks and learn them because of the tutorials.

Then for patterns/tutorials for whole quilts, Moda Bake Shop is great; they have a lot of different type of patterns/tutorials, not just quilts, but you can easily search or sort their posts to find things you might like to do.

Here are the links ---

Quilt Block Library -- http://www.genxquilters.com/p/quilt-block-library.html

Moda Bake Shop -- http://www.modabakeshop.com/

Hope that helps

Comment

Matthew, just enjoy the journey and do what makes your heart sing!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Couldn't have said it better, Margo!

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by mlbourb
                I am not creative enough to create my own quilt block, is that a bad thing?
                My guess is that you are way more creative than you give yourself credit. Otherwise, you likely wouldn't be a quilter--you cut up fabric, then put it back together to create a quilt which is art as much as craft.

Being very left-brained myself, I can truly relate to your thought that you are not creative enough. However, I would never ever buy a quilt kit for myself. (I know we're not supposed to ever say never, but this is my belief) My joy and creative expression comes from selecting my colors and fabrics. Also, I rarely use a pattern and have never ever followed a quilt pattern exactly--I always have to put my own spin on things because I want my quilts to be unique. A few times I have made quilts from quilt panels or kits that were gifted to me, but again I made them uniquely. My friends and family often tell me how creative I am, and I've learned that if three or more unrelated people tell you something about yourself then you must consider that there's some truth to what they say.

Keep your eyes open and you are likely to see something that will inspire you to create a new quilt block. Trust me, if I can, anybody can.

Comment

So well-said, Nancy. I very much related to what you said here and concur.

Comment

I don't remember anything in the whole world about Banana-Rama. Ever. Must be a Brit thing, but I do remember a bit of Latin:
                    Non Quo Sed Quo Modo,

I think is what Rosemary is saying, It''s not WHAT but HOW. Just enjoy and thanks for sharing your progress on the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                      Matthew, just enjoy the journey and do what makes your heart sing!!
                      Totally agree.
                      Deborah W

Comment

For the song & band I was talking about go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHQjoQmr1E
                        Be warned dreadful 80's hairdos & stage outfits... (the chorus is also liable to stick in your brain ad infinitum too :wink: )
                        Deborah W

Comment

I don't remember that song, but I do remember Bananrama and Venus and Cruel Summer. Brings back memories!

Nancy

Comment

Sorry, I was more White Snake, Journey, and Culture club.

Comment

Scary thing, I was all those, too! Guess I listened to just about anything. But I was mostly things like Nirvana, Erasure and Depeche Mode.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2526 users online. 315 members and 2211 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X