Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Creating a series around one subject

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a series around one subject

I have noticed and admired a number of quilter's art quilts that focus around one subject and reconstruct that subject in a number of different ways. I have also heard Ricky and others say how much they learn from creating a series. I can't find any other information or books that discuss the process of creating a series - are there any particular guidelines or principles that apply when working on a series - like the repetition of fabrics, etc. I am interested in trying to work on a series around one subject but I don't quite know how to begin.

Welcome to the forum Carolyn! I've never made a series, but I think there are lots of ways to approach this project.

For instance, Janet Stone is making a series of 26 quilts using the alphabet as her starting point, but every one is totally different.

Some artists make the same design in different colors, some use the same color for different subjects. Some focus on different construction techniques. I would think that you need to decide what you want to focus on or learn about and take it from there.

I hope someone who has done some of this will chime in!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'm working on my first series. It's called "Friendship" and each quilt will have the Chinese symbol for "Friend" or "Friendship" on it somewhere. Otherwise, I can do anything that I want and try any new technique that inspires me. I'm making them for a group of friends of mine. So far I've finished one using turned-edge machine applique and am half-way through a wholecloth on dupioni silk. It's really fun to come up with the new designs!

Nancy

Comment

I have a kind of series...women of Hoffman Challenge. I have a woman (or a kind of woman, in the case of a mermaid) in all of my Hoffman Challenge quilts that I have entered every year since 2008. My 2008 quilt did not have a woman, but a vase of flowers, but all the others do, including the one I am designing for this year's challenge, which will be my fifth woman themed quilt using Hoffman challenge fabrics.

I also am developing a series of architecturally-related quilts, having made one and am working on a second, and am planning a third series in which I take a traditional block quilt, such as "Storm at Sea" or "Jacob's Ladder" and create a landscape quilt that plays on that theme. These would have a section of the traditional blocks and the pictorial part of the quilt would be somehow worked with the traditional section that expresses the name.

I think series are a lot of fun and can help guide you in developing your quilts. You just find what interests you and work around a theme. There seem to be no rules involved--so make up your own guidelines--It's fun!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
        Betty Jo

Comment

I don't know but my guess would be to pick your theme and then play until you exhaust all your ideas.

Betty Jo

Comment

Another way to look at it, is to make one quilt, and then looking at it, ask yourself the question 'What if...?'

I move some of the elements, I swap the colours, I change the colours, I change the proportions, I change the scale, I keep the colours and change the design (trad block to art quilt)...

In some respects working on a series can be easier, because you are not starting from a blank canvas.

Betty Jo

Comment

About four years ago, I did a series using the Fast Friday Fabric Challenge concepts and musical lyrics or song titles. Thus resulting in Sailing, Sailing; Fish gotta Swim, Birds gotta Fly; Elusive Butterfly, etc. It was a lot of fun and definitely challenged my brain to combine both a prescribed challenge (FFFC) and my personal music challenge. Also I suppose my fifty or more convergences (ala Ricky) many of which included state flower fabrics for friends, two Rhapsody quilts, and maybe ten Caveman quilts qualify as series. (Can you guess I am a huge Ricky fan - as if none of you knew that before - LOL) I like to challenge myself to do different things. This year is to enter as many quilt shows or challenge contests as I possibly can. Have had one challenge accepted for a book and have three more ready to enter. Will keep you posted on my "success" or "failure" but my motto is "my chances may be slim to none but like the lottery they are none if I never enter" Hugs, Ann

Comment

Carolyn, as Margo said, I'm in the process of creating a series of 26 alphabet quilts. I didn't set out to create such a series, but after I finished my first alphabet quilt, I had so many more ideas to use with the alphabet, which I LOVE, that I decided to make it into a series. I would figure out what you are passionate about, make a quilt with that in mind, and I bet, as you are creating the first one, you'll gather ideas to make several more that are related!
                Back to Quilting!

Comment

Years and years ago I created a series of blocks called "Fabric Appropriate Blocks" It all started with a fabric which had playing cards. I thought it would be fun to make a card tricks block from that fabric. I stopped at sixty three blocks. There was the Nose Gay block with nose fabric. Then the Drunkards Path done with pink elephants. Then Rail Fence with, you guessed it, rail fence fabric. I feel that a series is created when all the work has the same launch spot in my brain. I think there are also "path" series which are quilts that grow from the lessons learned from the previous quilt.
                  When working in a series the most difficult part of any artwork is already done - That first stroke on a blank canvas -. You already have a starting point.
                  I have always been a "what if" designer and series work is a perfect compliment to this thought process.
                  Work an idea until you have exhausted it or it has exhausted you. Wow! that was profound. Did that come out of my brain? I need to go lay down that Idea exhausted me. LOL
                  Betty Ann
                  Back to Quilting!

Comment

Ha Ha Ha...Betty Ann. Love your idea for a series which plays with the fabric & block title. Janet has given some really good advice to choose something you are passionate about.
                    Each year I try to make one traditional quilt, one original quilt and one completed UFO project. I have begun a series of quilts based on the Mexican tradition Dia de los Muertos. I love the whimsical imagery and keep a notebook of ideas for future quilts. Most of mine are large so I manage to produce only one a year. I already have enough ideas for two decades but the ideas keep coming.

You could always try an idea and, if it doesn't inspire other quilts, try a different theme. They are your quilts so there will be no mistakes. Nancy in Tucson

Comment

This gave me an idea. What about a series of UFO's?
                      I'm on my way with two finishes this year. When the next is finished I have a series of 3 and it cannot extend to more because there are no more UFO's around.

living in Central Denmark
                      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
                        This gave me an idea. What about a series of UFO's?
                        I'm on my way with two finishes this year. When the next is finished I have a series of 3 and it cannot extend to more because there are no more UFO's around.
                        It would be much easier to have a series of unfinished UFO's :wink: :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I second that idea Rosemary! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                            It would be much easier to have a series of unfinished UFO's :wink: :lol:
                            :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1979 users online. 194 members and 1785 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X