Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Jelly Roll

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly Roll

How do you get a consistent, accurate 1/4 inch seam allowance on a jelly roll cut with pinking shears? What guide do you use for the edge...the peak or the valled?

The strips in the last two jelly rolls I tried to use were nowhere near the same width.
    Luckily, I was using a pattern where accuracy sewing the strips together was not a critical issue.

And remember, the accuracy of the seam allowance is not nearly as important as the size of the fabric that is left!

For anything that needs to be accurate, maybe cutting your own strips or using an AccuQuilts system would be a better choice?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I just completed my first top using pinked jelly rolls and had the same problem as Margo. The widths were very inconsistent with as much as 1/8" difference in widths between 2 strips in the same roll. For the wider strips, the peaks seemed to be at the 2.5" width, so that's what I used. I also found that I hated trying to line up the pinked and unpinked edges where they met so I won't be getting any more pinked jelly rolls myself, unless I'm doing something where I really want the variety of the entire line of fabric. I was really surprised about this since jelly rolls are so popular and I was so excited by the fabrics.

Good luck!

Nancy

Comment

My first thought about the question was to measure what you have inside the pinking. Then go from there. The other thing I thought was--say you need a 1 1/2" piece; fold the strip in half and measure out from the fold. Does this help? If not, I am sure Margo will put it into something you can understand.

Comment

I have found Brenda Henning's method helpful when dealing with jelly rolls. I know it doesn't mention ones that have been pinked but I guess you could use the same method?

http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...h_May_Vary.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            I have found Brenda Henning's method helpful when dealing with jelly rolls. I know it doesn't mention ones that have been pinked but I guess you could use the same method?

Thanks for the reminder of this Brenda Henning reference, Rita. I had seen it a long time ago but had forgotten all about it. I have a SewBatik jelly roll I want to attack soon. The SewBatik president assures me their rolls are perfect and straight... I hope so but it's nice to have an alternative to 'cussing' if they turn out not to be so perfect... :lol:

Comment

That is a good way to work around the irregularities of the Hoffman Bali Pops! Thanks for the link!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Pinked jelly rolls make a mess when you work with them. All those little pinked tips shed.

Comment

Thanks, Rita. That's a method that my friend also used when dealing with the pinked jelly rolls. It wouldn't have worked for the pattern I was making since I was sewing the 2.5" pieces to 1.5" pieces, so it really depends on the pattern that you are using.

Renata - I've met the owner of SewBatik several times (enough for him to know me by name) and I'd bet that his jelly rolls are pretty close to perfect, although I haven't tried any of them yet. He and his wife are very particular about their product.

fiquilts - One hint I've seen (after working with my jelly rolls, of course) is to run a lint roller over the top and bottom of the jelly roll before unwrapping it to get rid of a bunch of the fuzzies. Of course, as your fuzzies go away your strips get narrower, so I think you have to measure carefully.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, Diane and Bruce are great--theirs is the only jelly roll I've bought because I feel confident about what they said about how they make their jelly rolls. I have lots of SewBatik fabric because I really love working with it. It's funny, when I go to a show, theirs is the first booth I run to to stock up and to say hello--they are both so gracious and they do remember their customers!

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz

Thanks for the link Rita, it is exactly the sort of thing that I would do, If I had got into using jelly rolls to any great degree (which I haven't yet, but who knows? - I just hope I remember at the relevant time :wink: )

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                        Thanks for the link Rita, it is exactly the sort of thing that I would do, If I had got into using jelly rolls to any great degree (which I haven't yet, but who knows? - I just hope I remember at the relevant time :wink: )
                        That's me, Rosemary... I had already forgotten this link once! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                          Forgetting the link is neither here nor there - forgetting the idea/technique, now that would be a nusiance.

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                            Forgetting the link is neither here nor there - forgetting the idea/technique, now that would be a nusiance.
                            True, Rosemary! But I'd have to try the technique in order to remember it--the idea, I would forget right along with the link... ops: I'm banking on someone on the Forum remembering... :lol:

Comment

Great link, Rita. I have used that trick a few times using 2-1/2" strips. My small Guild does a swap of them at our Christmas party every year. The strips are not always 2-1/2"
                              Margarita

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1941 users online. 173 members and 1768 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X