Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

machine suggestions? (and update on old Bernina)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to have you back. Just a note on buying patterns or kits for that matter. I love when I am able to do original work and I believe I have made some fairly special pieces. However, I do not limit myself to my own original work. I have learned so much by following the pattern and direction of someone who has done this kind of thing a lot longer than I have. Its one way I learn new techniques. If I am absolutely in love with a kit I will buy that too. When I am drawn to something like that it is often because the designer knows something about putting colors together that I haven't quilte figured out yet. There are times when I've just wanted to be working without having to do lots of thinking. The hum of the machine, the feel of the cloth and relaxing with the process somehow prepares me for the next piece of original work. I do not have close access to many quilting classes and so I look at patterns and quilts a bit like a class. I learn from them all. Doing that stirs and simmers my own creative juices.

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
      Good to have you back. Just a note on buying patterns or kits for that matter. I love when I am able to do original work and I believe I have made some fairly special pieces. However, I do not limit myself to my own original work. I have learned so much by following the pattern and direction of someone who has done this kind of thing a lot longer than I have. Its one way I learn new techniques. If I am absolutely in love with a kit I will buy that too. When I am drawn to something like that it is often because the designer knows something about putting colors together that I haven't quilte figured out yet. There are times when I've just wanted to be working without having to do lots of thinking. The hum of the machine, the feel of the cloth and relaxing with the process somehow prepares me for the next piece of original work. I do not have close access to many quilting classes and so I look at patterns and quilts a bit like a class. I learn from them all. Doing that stirs and simmers my own creative juices.
      Lois, this is perfect! Thank you!!!

I definitely do not mind following a pattern; you are right, so much to learn! and it is so very helpful for just like you said, I don't have close access to classes either. It is more, for me, not wanting my quilt to be identical to someone else's, thus why I like to at least play with the color a little bit. But you make a good point, if my eye is drawn to it, it's for a reason and perhaps I ought not mess with a good thing. What is the saying? If it's not broke, don't fix it! Very true statement that applies here -- thank you for reminding me of that.

Comment

Nicely stated, Lois. I completely agree!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I agree too Lois.

Comment

Ditto here Lois!
            I like a creation of my own if i'm making a quilt for someone special. I've noticed that even though I love bright jewel toned fabrics the BOM's I got are mostly earthy, low key colors, sometime with a country, rustic or primitive feel which is the decoration I like best in a home but, those are not the fabrics that grab my attention at the shop so, there's almos no civil war or 1800 reproductions in my stash. But even with a BOM, things can be tweaked a little bit or find a few fabric substitutes to make it my own

I was intrigued by your description of Radiant Suns and googled it. Found the designers website and her gallery of quilts made by her students, here: http://www.doodlepress.com/student-w..._Suns_Workshop :shock: 8) Amazing how just changing the color pallet gives a new look and feel to each of them. I hope you will be showing us your own version

Comment

Thanks for the link, Limbania - they are awsome, added to which, the designer Cara Gulati, has just been a guest on the TQS shows 8) Definitely a good learning design/kit

Comment

Originally posted by Limbania55
                Ditto here Lois!
                I like a creation of my own if i'm making a quilt for someone special. I've noticed that even though I love bright jewel toned fabrics the BOM's I got are mostly earthy, low key colors, sometime with a country, rustic or primitive feel which is the decoration I like best in a home but, those are not the fabrics that grab my attention at the shop so, there's almos no civil war or 1800 reproductions in my stash. But even with a BOM, things can be tweaked a little bit or find a few fabric substitutes to make it my own

I was intrigued by your description of Radiant Suns and googled it. Found the designers website and her gallery of quilts made by her students, here: http://www.doodlepress.com/student-w..._Suns_Workshop :shock: 8) Amazing how just changing the color pallet gives a new look and feel to each of them. I hope you will be showing us your own version

Those are beautiful!

here is the link to the one that I saw....mine will be similar, but different

And, I didn't notice --- it was called Starry Night and is meant as a tribute to Van Gogh, so I didn't just imagine that part!

http://store.heartsongquilts.com/sto...&Photo=One

Also, I do want to clarify a bit -- I don't think there's anything wrong with following a pattern, even doing the same color-way; I think I'd be likely to do so for a gift for someone, and I definitely agree there is much -MUCH- to learn from following patterns, etc. It was just a big leap for me to do so; I hope that makes sense. But I definitely wasn't meaning to suggest that others (or myself) ought to NOT follow patterns and always only do our own creations/designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning-As-I-Go
                  Originally posted by Limbania55
                  Ditto here Lois!

Those are beautiful!

And, I didn't notice --- it was called Starry Night and is meant as a tribute to Van Gogh, so I didn't just imagine that part!

Also, I do want to clarify a bit -- I don't think there's anything wrong with following a pattern, even doing the same color-way; I think I'd be likely to do so for a gift for someone, and I definitely agree there is much -MUCH- to learn from following patterns, etc. It was just a big leap for me to do so; I hope that makes sense. But I definitely wasn't meaning to suggest that others (or myself) ought to NOT follow patterns and always only do our own creations/designs.
                  I understand exactly what you mean - you don't want to end up with a copy of a quilt that everyone else is copying. believe me it, it is very easy to add your own stamp to a quilt, sometimes subtle, sometimes way out obvious - just look over the variations we all developed for the Laura Nownes sampler quilt - some of the pictures are only on the thread so you have a bit of a marathon to catch up though :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Learning-As-I-Go
                    Those are beautiful!

Thanks for sharing the link, it's awesome. I'm sure yours will be too and look forward to see it

Comment

I didn't read all the posts but what I learned on my machine is it won't sew with bad thread. You have to buy Mettler, YLI, Sulky, Superior and others I might not have mentioned. You can't use Coats N Clark and any hand quilting thread. I've bought beautiful thread from Keepsake Quilting but it was for hand quilting or some other machine. It would not work in my machine. Good luck. I hope your Bernina is fixable if it's not the thread. Let me know if I helped at all. I'm still a beginner so I'd be surprized if I hit on the problem.

Comment

I think it would be wise to visit a Bernina dealer to look at your machine. Try and make an appointment so that the repair person is there when you arrive. It does sound like threading problem to me. The arm on my Bernina bobbin isn't threaded unless you are making a buttonhole. Get out the manual and check to see if the top thread is threaded correctly and the thread tension is set correctly. Also, you could try a new spool of thread. I've had some thread that would break no matter what, but it's worth a try. But if the repairman said he had it sewing correctly, it's be worth your time to take the machine back to him and have him watch you thread and sew fabric in front of him so that another pair of eyes might be able to see the problem.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2294 users online. 245 members and 2049 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25587   Active Members: 1,297  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X