Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Anyone ever done home made Oil Cloth?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever done home made Oil Cloth?

Been wanting to try it. And not found anyone with experience at it.

All the how to's talk about starting with regular fabric,which is dyed cloth or painting the cloth between the process of adding the linseed.

I want to try it with my SF fabric designs. And they print with "water-based pigment inks on natural fiber textiles. No additional chemicals". Not dyes or paints. Anyone know if that makes a difference??

TIA
    Nan

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

There's a new product on the market that allows you to laminate any fabric. I saw it at Hancock's Fabrics and it was made into baby bibs. I'm pretty sure it's iron on. Also, a friend used it to make a cosmetic bag and she loved it.

Comment

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...n-on+vinyl+.do

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Heat-a...VVviewprod.htm

http://stitchingtimes.blogspot.com/2...-on-vinyl.html

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

went hunting and found this http://www.curbly.com/ModHomeEcTeach...how-to-make-it lots of very useful information about making oldfashioned oil cloth - keep going through all the comments too.

For the modern plastic covered oilcloth I made this a couple of years ago
        After printing the adjusted photos onto fabric, I covered it with clear 'Sticky back plastic' (also used for covering books, UK brand Fablon), got all the air bubbles out, placed it on my ironing pad, covered it with a tea towel and pressed it with a warm iron to slightly melt the plastic onto the fabric. For making up, it doesn't like being sewn into tight curves and turned through and as for sewing a tube for a shoulder strap and turning it through - well forget it, fold in the edges as desired and top stitch is your only option.

Please let us know how you get on, now you have whetted our curiosity :wink:

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies gals.

I heard about that vinyl stuff. But it don't think it comes in wide widths?
          Nancy Notions website don't list a width. The other is only 17 inches.

And a gal told me she tried it and it don't look good were it butts up at.
          So I don't think that will work for what I want to do.

Might work for place mats or table runners...
          but I think it will take away from the natural-ness of the end product to.

I think I want to stay away from plastics and vinyls.

But I Love the purse, Going to check out that link now.

Thanks

Comment

Hmmm, very interesting.

Comment

I recently got this book:

Floorquilts! Fabric Decoupaged Floorcloths-no sew fun! by Ellen Highsmith Silver

Don't know if it's what you're looking for but hope this helps.

Comment

Eileen, a photo on the Table of Contents page shows a can of Minwax Polycrylic, so this is not oilcloth.

http://www.amazon.com/Floorquilts-Fa...698&sr=1-1

Maybe this link will help: http://www.curbly.com/modhomeecteach...how-to-make-it

Comment

Eileenkey,
                  Thanks
                  I will have to read up on that idea to.
                  I think the varnish pictured Margo seen is a if you want to,add a coat of clear varnish,according to this one how to I found.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5715255_deco...oor-cloth.html

They say it is washable. A good thing.
                  Not sure what decopage stuff they use Don't think the old elmers glue one is it. Pretty sure it would wash away.

Will google some info an read up on floorcloths thanks.

Margo,
                  Thanks. Think that is the link I read yesterday got me thinking oilcloths might not be an easy job.
                  Or a good idea. All the warning in the post at bottom.
                  A science website says it is least flamable compared to other oils they tried.
                  Might still attempt it to try it out and see for myself.
                  Gonna research a bit more first though.

Comment

Personally I think that it looks like something to do during the summer, when you can work outdoors, or at least leave the windows open for good airflow and drying - presuming you have nice summer weather, that is :wink:

Comment

Yeah I Might need a long hot dry summer. What I'm reading on curing times! LOL
                      Will be awhile before I'm ready to attempt it.
                      Need a few more "don't care if I destroy it" swatches of my printed fabrics first.

Though we do have some unseasonably hot winters here where I be.

Not sure what this winter will bring. But I have had 80 degree Christmasses here.
                      Snowed the night before and I thought we was having a white Christmas.
                      Next morn my kids sneak out an I catch them barefoot in their jammys tip toeing through the left overs!
                      I'm like "UM it is WINter!! At least get your shoes on!" LOL

My first taste of the odd weather here.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2268 users online. 255 members and 2013 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
                      Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X