Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

when do I trim the little tags off triangles??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when do I trim the little tags off triangles??

Ok, the forum says "ask anything" so I'm doing that.

I'm a very new, hand-piecing beginner. I hand piece because I do not own (nor have access to) a sewing machine.

I'm working on a Diary Quilt and the block I'm on has lots of triangles. I've done that before, but I've forgotten -- when do I trim off the little tags??

Ex, I'm doing a block called Christmas Star. I join two quarter-square triangles to each other (along a short side), then join those to a half-square triangle (along the long side). Then I join two of those (now square) units to each other.

At what point do I cut off all the little corners/tags/flags whatever you want to call them that hang off the edges where the triangles join and I've folded over the seams/pressed the seams??

Before I join the square units (made of 1 half-square triangle and 2 quarter-square triangles) to each other??? or leave them and only trim off the outside edges when the whole block is done???

I hope I've asked this in a way that makes sense. Thanks!

-Heather

Heather, Alex refers to those little triangles as "bunny ears". I've also heard "dog ears".

Whatever....unless they are needed in order to line up the next piece, which is not usually necessary when you are hand piecing, you should trim them as you go. You will be able to see them after you've pressed your seam, and it will eliminate any unnecessary bulk.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo! Did it, joined the squares together and now have beautifully aligned units! Thanks!!

Comment

I use a triangle ruler and cut triangles from strips. That eliminates one "dog ear" immediately. I then turn the ruler and nip off the other one while still stacked. I wouldn't do it any other way. I had used this method for a few years when I took a class to force myself to use the square, draw diagonal, sew, cut and then have all those tips to curse. That's Thangles or similar paper method nowadays. I had a good time at the class but that class taught me that I march to my own drummer far too much to be a good student. I visited the second half of the day and went home to work on my project. Background fabric was solid and I don't do solids so I finished it with my own stash fabrics, among other changes..

Comment

thanks for the tips on this one -- here's the finished square, called Christmas Star (from the book A Quilter's Diary).

I embellished with a (pinned on) Ojos de Dios ornament, a nod to my childhood tree ornaments in my family. It's just pinned with a safety pin so should not interfere with anything, but wanted to show what the block looks like with the embellishment.

-Heather

Comment

Originally posted by grannyagnes
            I use a triangle ruler and cut triangles from strips. That eliminates one "dog ear" immediately. I then turn the ruler and nip off the other one while still stacked. I wouldn't do it any other way. I had used this method for a few years when I took a class to force myself to use the square, draw diagonal, sew, cut and then have all those tips to curse. That's Thangles or similar paper method nowadays. I had a good time at the class but that class taught me that I march to my own drummer far too much to be a good student. I visited the second half of the day and went home to work on my project. Background fabric was solid and I don't do solids so I finished it with my own stash fabrics, among other changes..
            Agnes, this all sounds very fascinating but way over my head, LOL!

In this case, i was cutting loads of little pieces from lots of different fabric but things like three 2 and 3/8ths half-square triangles, then four 3 and 1/4th quarter square triangles, and so on. I don't *think* the strip method of cutting triangles would have worked for that, but I could be wrong (or, it could have worked, but with 2 here, 5 there, etc. would not have been all that time saving....right??).

I didn't realize that there even was such a thing as a triangle ruler, or that using one would cut out one dog ear immediately. How interesting!

Comment

Heather, if you get the TQS DVD with episode 504, Marti Michell demonstrates using her rulers to cut the dog ears before you sew!

http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...-instant-magic

http://www.frommarti.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=PPT

Comment

Your block is very lovely and love the addition of the ornament. Now I wish I still had all the crocheted snowflakes I used to put on my tree and I'd be on my way to a new Christmas/Winter quilt. Oh well!!

For me the added bonus of the triangle ruler is that you don't have to add that extra 3/8" to the width to then cut off as dog ears. All my finished 2" HST are cut from 2 1/2" strips. This way, as long as I have a strip I can cut either squares or triangles. I use Omnigrid rulers exclusively but the theory of the dog's ear remains the same.

Comment

Heather--nice job on your block.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
                    I agree with Ritzy - it's looking good.

(and I sharn't even ask to look at the back 8) - which is a bad habit of mine ops: )

Rosemary

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                      Originally posted by ritzy
                      I agree with Ritzy - it's looking good.

(and I sharn't even ask to look at the back 8) - which is a bad habit of mine ops: )

Rosemary
                      thanks, all! You guys are very encouraging!

Rosemary, here are the backs and the fronts of 2 more blocks. Enjoy!

-- the backs of Christmas Star and 3 others
                      -- a block called Delectable Mountain
                      -- a block called Crayon Box

It's not letting me add the 4th photo for some reason, the back is shown; it's a block called Broken Dishes. You can see the back of it in that first photo of all 4 backs.

If the backs show anything that makes you guys want to give me some helpful hints, advice, suggestions or anything, I'm open to hearing such things. Thanks for peeking!

-Heather

Comment

They look great to me Heather! Brave girl to post photos of the backs for the world to see!!

(Yes....there is a 3 photo limit on the forum. If you want to show more, just add another forum comment.)

Comment

Wow ! they are looking really good 8)
                          The backs are showing that your stitches are nice and even, which means that any pull on the seams will be evenly distributed, and also that you are being tidy with your ends as you go along - another good habit whether you are working by hand or machine.

It is probably not really necessary with these small blocks, but for long seams I picked up the advice (from an old tailor)of taking 10 running stitches and then one 'lock' (or back) stitch, this was for when working on the long seams of trousers, and makes sense that if you lock stitch every 10 stitches, should the seam burst you only lose that set of 9 sitiches not the entire seam.
                          I personally think this is the true meaning of the old saying

'A stitch in time, saves nine.'

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                            Wow ! they are looking really good 8)
                            The backs are showing that your stitches are nice and even, which means that any pull on the seams will be evenly distributed, and also that you are being tidy with your ends as you go along - another good habit whether you are working by hand or machine.

It is probably not really necessary with these small blocks, but for long seams I picked up the advice (from an old tailor)of taking 10 running stitches and then one 'lock' (or back) stitch, this was for when working on the long seams of trousers, and makes sense that if you lock stitch every 10 stitches, should the seam burst you only lose that set of 9 sitiches not the entire seam.
                            I personally think this is the true meaning of the old saying

'A stitch in time, saves nine.'

cheers
                            Thanks, Rosemary! I appreciate the encouragement, as well as the tip. That will come in quite handy when I get to the very daunting task of eventually joining these small blocks into rows and into a quilt top. I'll definitely remember that! Thank you!

Comment

Heather when you get ready to assemble your blocks, you might want to try Jo Morton's technique of assembling large blocks instead of rows to make it easier to manage:

http://daily-blog/103-good-advice/14...into-quadrants

However be aware that her photo is cropped to show an extra set of sashing strips! You don't want to do that!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2284 users online. 235 members and 2049 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25586   Active Members: 1,296  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X