Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Cutting help needed...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting help needed...

I have 9 yards of background fabric for a quilt I want to make. I need to cut 2-1/2 inch strips for the majority of the patches I will need to cut. I usually get v-s in my cuts unless I am very careful to keep the fabric square. I have never worked with this amount of fabric before.

Should I cut off hunks to cut my strips? I though I would cut about 1 to 1-1/2 yard cuts then cut my strips from that.

Can I just cut off as I go from the 9 yards?

What would be the best way to proceed?

Anna, you WILL get the "V"s if you aren't really careful. In fact, it's easy to get the "V"s if you are cutting just 42" width of fabric. I can't imagine trying to cut a 9 yard strip and having it come out straight unless you cut a single layer at a time. :shock:

I would do the math to determine what size hunks to work with to avoid waste.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I would definitely cut in sections. Figure out how big to make manageable sections. example, 14 strips at 2 1/2" equals 35". So I would cut just a little bigger, then square and make your strip cuts from there. You could also rip at 36 or 37 and it should give you a straight across grain line to work with. Hope this makes sense. Another thing to consider is if your background is going to be used for the borders. That is usually best cut along the grain since the stretch is less than width of fabric. But thats a personal preference if the border isn't longer than 40 inches. I would choose the longest border, then cut/or rip at a longer measurement, square and cut the borders. Anything you don't use for the border could be cut into the strips needed. Hope you understand what I just tried to explain.

Comment

Before you cut anything, make sure and read through all of the directions. I have noticed that not all patterns tell you to cut larger pieces first! Make sure that you will have enough fabric for all the pieces needed, especially if you start cutting the nine yards into smaller-easier to handle-sections. Yes, it may require some math :wink: , but sometimes it is necessary as you do not want to run out of fabric. Then if possible, I would cut the fabric into smaller sections to get the 2.5-inch strips.

Comment

Originally posted by Catapprovedquilts
          Before you cut anything, make sure and read through all of the directions. I have noticed that not all patterns tell you to cut larger pieces first! Make sure that you will have enough fabric for all the pieces needed, especially if you start cutting the nine yards into smaller-easier to handle-sections. Yes, it may require some math :wink: , but sometimes it is necessary as you do not want to run out of fabric. Then if possible, I would cut the fabric into smaller sections to get the 2.5-inch strips.
          I would also add to this that if your are a visual person, use graph paper to plan out your cuts. A little preplanning, will save a lot of heart ache. example: use 1 sq.=1 ". Then you could figure out your manageable sections.

Comment

I listened to a lecture by Mary Ellen Hopkins, and she said when cutting across the 42", don't! She said to keep it folded in half, and then fold it in half again, and she guarenteed you would not get a V! I have not been gutsy enough to try this, as my logic says I'm now going to get 3 Vs and waste fabric. But, she swore by this method. There must be something about folding it back upon itself that relaxes the fabric at the original fold, to help eliminate the V. I am still having a hard time visualizing this as the cure!!! Has anyone tried this method?

Dawn
            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Yes, I double fold my fabrics quite often. I don't know if the results is much different than a single fold though. I just like cutting through 4 layers because it's faster. And I seldom get a V. But I am careful to keep the folds parallel and square up after a number of cuts as needed.

Comment

OK friends...This is how to avoid the dreaded "V" strips when you rotary cut a full width of fabric.

First of all, press your fabric well so that the selvages are parallel to each other and there is no fullness between the selvages and the middle fold on either side. Preferably, you fabric will be starched, but it's not absolutely necessary. It is necessary that it's flat and parallel.

Lay the fabric on your cutting mat with the folded edge away from you and line it up exactly with one of the horizontal lines of the mat.

Measure down about 11" from the fold and place a ruler horizontally across the fabric. If it doesn't reach to the other side, add another ruler so that the entire width of the fabric is absolutely straight across the horizontal line of the mat.

Carefully fold the selvage edges up towards the middle fold. You should be able to just barely see the horizontal line the entire length of this fold.

Carefully remove the rulers from inside the fold and start your vertical cuts from either the left or right side of the folded fabric. With every cut, check to see that the folds are still lined up with the lines on the mat. Ta-Da! No more "V"s!!

Comment

OOOOH, I like this Margo. Never thought to use the rulers.

Comment

Margo, using a ruler is a great idea, but I would probably not take the time to do that. I usually square up one end with the fabric folded in half first before doing the second fold and lining up the cut edges. As I cut the strips I make sure the lines on the ruler are straight on both folded edges. Removing the selvage edge first sometimes helps too.

Comment

I don't use the rulers either, Annis, but it makes it easy for beginners to see exactly what needs to line up and be parallel.

I've seen people (who should know better!) just fold it any old way and wonder why they don't come out with a straight strip! :roll:

Comment

Margo, You are a wonderful teacher. Great way to solve the problem.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                        Betty Jo

Comment

Thank you to Margo,Annis and Cheryl,I feel like I got more than my money's worth just from reading the tips in this forum!

Comment

I would also like to thank everyone! And, Margo thanks for the visuals! That is how I learn best.

Dawn
                            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2267 users online. 253 members and 2014 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
                            Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X