Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

basic questions

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic questions

The other day I got an email from a newbie with some really basic questions - like "when piecing -how do you line up odd shapes?" And that s when I realized we needed a newbie section to embrace the next generation of quilters.....and in answer to her question, I will more than likely do a video answering this question - because it is EXCELLENT.

Yep--that would be a good video series for newbies(us old folks who need to be reminded, too).

Comment

Karen Combs had a great way to line up diamonds. She puts a piece of quarter inch tape on the bed of her machine. The bottom diamond has the tip at the top of the tape. You then line up the other diamond with the bottom of the tape. Voila! the pieces line up perfectly when you press it open.
      Frances

Comment

Frances, I can read your explanation, but it doesn't make sense to me. It's not you, it's me. My brain learns and understands best when I can observe somebody else doing something (and even better, if I can then do it myself at the same time). So, please Alex, the more little videos the better, however basic the question. I must have read more than a dozen explanations about how to do mitred corners when putting a binding on a quilt, some of them with lots of still pictures. It wasn't good enough for me. But the moment I had the chance to watch somebody do it (nice and slowly), my brain went 'click' and I now don't understand why I didn't get it sooner. :roll:

Lorchen
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I am with you Lorchen no matter much I read and or look at pictures when I see a video it all makes sense.

Jill - Australia

Taree NSW - Australia
          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Yay, a newbie section! I'm very much a newbie, although I've read a number of quilting books and magazines over the last 12 years or so.

Finally started to be serious about learning to sew last January. I agree with Lorchen and Jill, watching someone else works better for me than trying to read and comprehend right off the bat. Or maybe I should say "right off the batting"?

Donna

Taree NSW - Australia
            My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

yah.....i can't wait for the newbie videos.

Can you create some green :mrgreen: videos for people like me who have never sewn but wants to make a quilt? LOL.

Charmane (new to quilting and sewing) :mrgreen:

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

The "New Forum" is Wonderful! The idea of a "Beginner's Corner" is also Great. I have referred several new quilting friends to The Quilt Show... and many of them have asked about a 'beginner quilter' area? This is great! It has now come to them and all of us who also have questions along the way I am sure many new quilters would also like to see some beginning quilter video's as well... exp) sewing on a border, binding, ironing etc... I myself, had to recently get online to get a 'refresher' on mitered corners. I was trying to miter a floral patterned border, and wanted it to miter perfectly. Of course I checked "The Quilt Show" first, but couldn't find a video. I am very much a visual learner. All the classrooms I have watched here are exceptional! I have learned so much from this site! Thank you, for all you offer and keep coming up with! The is my favorite quilting site! Julie in AZ

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Well, I finally decided to ask my question in this Newbie post, because I cannot see the topic elsewhere. Plus, I am a newbie. I have entered a few quilts into my local guild's quilt show. This is my first year as a member and my first entry. There is one quilt I did about two years ago, that has never been seen publically, but I think it is my best yet. A tradition Dresden Plate set on point. My question: It does not look dirty. However, just because it has been around for two years and has been used everyday, I know it probably can look a bit brighter. Should I wash it? If so, do I just hang it on the line to dry, or use the dryer---- and most importantly - do I iron it? It wash machine pieced, hand appliqued and machine quilted by a professional quilter. This material was all pre-washed before I made the quilt.

Also, I know this is another question, but I noticed a tiny tiny spot where the seam should be fixed. What's the best way to do that?

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Alex,
                    I think this is a great idea. Everybody needs reinforcement.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

If the seam has just come unsewn use a simple ladder stitch to repair it before you wash it. A gentle washing would probably not hurt it. I always throw mine in the dryer but you could lay it flat on the floor somewhere that does not get traffic to dry--that will let you block it too.

Comment

I also use the dryer after washing gently. Because it tends to ball up I check the dryer every 10 minutes or so and fluff it by hand before it goes for the next tumble. I certainly would wash the quilt before showing. Also, I learned not to press the finished quilt because that flattens out the dimension created by the quilting.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2184 users online. 209 members and 1975 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X