Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

NEUTRAL BLOOMS — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEUTRAL BLOOMS — Show Your Progress Here

Please use this TOPIC to show your progress with the FREE Neutral Blooms quilt.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

• Hi, Noella from Quebec
    • Here are pictures of my stash of neutrals in batiks. I couldn’t order the fabrics from you because, again, as in my last order this one is, s l o w l y, making it’s way to me in Quebec. I ordered on March 19. It has rulers and other goodies that was worth me using my 25% rebate from having renewed my membership!
    • These fabrics I tried to put them in order from light to dark. I tried to have an equal amount of each, and I have a ton of Kona cotton white.
    • After today’s class I am a bit confused. Should I cut the strip from every color in my stash, even the really pale ones? To sew to the white strip, to make the 4 patches. OR only the medium colors and darker mediums? The really dark brown and dark, dark grey I put aside completely. Yeah, I might do this. Not much time to get feedback from someone else. We need to get these 4 patches done!

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Noella, Being a lover of browns and earth tones, I love your collection of fabrics. Your palette
      will be a totally different look than Alex's neutrals. Not less pretty, just different. With the fabrics you have, I would probably audition the white on a mock up of the quilt.
      You could draw a mock up coloring sheet to try out white in one and
      dark in another. I am thinking with your palette, the darkest color as the line of on point squares instead of white, might look quite dramatic. I love your fabrics they will make a beautiful quilt.
      HelenW

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      I would do the four-patches with everything in your fabric pull that's medium & lighter, unless it's so light that you won't get a contrast with the white.

Your fabrics are really pretty! Kallisti Quilts in Canada sells a lot of very beautiful Japanese neutrals if you feel tempted to add a few things.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    • Hi, Noella from Quebec
    • Here are pictures of my stash of neutrals in batiks. I couldn’t order the fabrics from you because, again, as in my last order this one is, s l o w l y, making it’s way to me in Quebec. I ordered on March 19. It has rulers and other goodies that was worth me using my 25% rebate from having renewed my membership!
    • These fabrics I tried to put them in order from light to dark. I tried to have an equal amount of each, and I have a ton of Kona cotton white.
    • After today’s class I am a bit confused. Should I cut the strip from every color in my stash, even the really pale ones? To sew to the white strip, to make the 4 patches. OR only the medium colors and darker mediums? The really dark brown and dark, dark grey I put aside completely. Yeah, I might do this. Not much time to get feedback from someone else. We need to get these 4 patches done!
    Noella, Maybe you could print some coloring copies. I made up the block in EQ8 and you could audition before getting those 4 patches done. HelenW

CLICK ON PHOTO TO SEE 8 VERTICAL BLOCKS.
    Just using the color tones of your fabric from you picture I uploaded them (very distorted) but colors
    somewhat the same. this is what I got when I did a small mock up.
    Last edited by Helen W.; 04-06-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Noella D. commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you send me your EQ8 file for this quilt? I have EQ8 but am not proficient enough in it to redraw this quilt in it. Then I could audition fabrics till the cows come home, and not have to cut a strip! Hope you can, thanks for all your suggestions. I am working on it!
      Last edited by Noella D.; 04-11-2022, 09:35 AM. Reason: Typos

I am not in the US so was not able to get the fabric pack. I am not feeling confident with my fabric choices as this is my first neutral quilt. These are a few of the four patches. Am I on the right track?
    Deborah W

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you are. They look good.

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, they look great!

• Deborah W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Helen W, Barbara B, and soniasimone. I appreciate the feedback and will continue. I am enjoying this process.

JET

Comment

I never know which place my comments will show. Anyway, I am doing the Garden Party quilt and decided I am doing enough applique. So using a different pattern for the neutrals.
      JET

Comment

• Deborah W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Janet E. It looks good. I like your pattern.

I am still picking my fabrics but I found my stash of neutrals in my storage unit. I got the book and fabric at Road to California many years ago (pre-kids, oldest is 11 years old) where I met Alex. I am going to use the fabric in my quilt, which means that Alex IS finishing my UFO!

Comment

• AmericanQuilter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have this book from years ago as well and really want to make a quilt from this book! It is really a wonderful book. I love the appliqué quilt in the book.

• Deborah W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you find the information in the book helpful as an added resource to Alex's FB live classes?

• Kyla V. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the book is really helpful. I am a visual person and fell in love with all the quilts in the book, but my favorite from the daisy chain quilt. It's the quilt behind Alex on the cover.

I’m on a self imposed fabric buying freeze so everything is from my stash/scrap bin. So far 40+ different fabrics
      France 

Comment

• Karla M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi - love your project!
        What is your technique for the flowers?
        Thanks!

• Frances commented
        Editing a comment
        I Make template from Karen Kay Buckley template plastic, use starch or sizing and iron fabric around template. I use just a skewer to manipulate fabric while ironing.

I changed the pattern
      what do you all think
      Susan Skeel
      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Sewskeel, Looks like you can't get enough of the embroidery handstitching. Very creative idea. That opens up a Pandora's box of ways you could use hand embroidery in the open stripes. How about the applique flowers in hand embroidery. That would look great too. Are you planning on the same stitches on all the blank stripes, or a variety of different stitches. Your stitches are perfect
        technique. I had to use the zoom to see that they were not done by embroidery machine. HelenW

• Noella D. commented
        Editing a comment
        I can’t see the picture that sewskeel posted on 17-4-2022! And quite a few others too!

I see them now, must have been a glitch.
        Last edited by Noella D.; 06-06-2022, 10:00 PM.

• Karen B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! Did you embroider the stars?

Arranged on the design wall… ready for next step. I have C and D triangles cut.

Comment

Enjoying the neutrals quilt. For the half square triangles I used the accordion method that Dee demonstrated .
        I sewed two sets so that I could chain stitch.Then I sewed them together and cut. I really enjoyed this method!

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Marion, Looks like perfection to me. I will have to go back and watch Dee's video. Do you remember
          which one it was. HelenW

Helen W.Sorry I can not remember.Dee credited EvaPaige Quilt Designs.This is her You Tube.Eva Shows how to do this method.Sorry Dee,maybe Barbara Knows how to find the show name

Comment

My 32 blocks all done. I even to managed to spin seams. All stash fabrics.
          Monique 
          Morrisburg, ON  Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Marion1 View Post
            Helen W.Sorry I can not remember.Dee credited EvaPaige Quilt Designs.This is her You Tube.Eva Shows how to do this method.Sorry Dee,maybe Barbara Knows how to find the show name
            Dee shows the “Accordion Method” for half square triangles in Long Time Gone, lesson 9. Find it in Dee’s Classroom under LEARN.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL
            https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
            "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Helen W. commented
              Editing a comment
              Barbara, Thank you. HelenW

My top is done but I have lots of fabric so will probably make another neutral quilt.
            JET

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1021 users online. 164 members and 857 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X