Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should we attach our vines before sewing down? Glue? Pins?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Dianne, I would use both. I would layout the vines in a long layout trying to get the general shape right for smooth curves. Use
      pins to hold them in place, then I would go back and take a pin out, use a dab of glue to keep the placement and do that to the
      entire one border. Then heat set the glue with an iron. Then it is really easy to sew with no shifting as you go. HelenW

• Dianne J. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Helen.

Thank you, Barbara Black, for telling Alex about the trifold bias for the stems! Works great, and so much faster than other methods. I got about 5 1/2 yards out of a 17 inch square. I pieced it like you do with making the tube for bias binding. Just in case anyone wants to know how much you can get out of the extra fabric.

Comment

I “goofed” and cut my borders way too narrow. Don’t know where my mind was!!!! Anyway, I NEED about 2 yards more to recut them. Do you know if there is more of the white available that I can order?
      I feel and so does my husband another white fabric takes away from the “floating” of the spools.

If you don’t have it can you give me the info on it to try to find on line? m in S. CA and there are no quilt stores near me.Thanks

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        LeeAnna, Maybe you should call customer service and ask them if they can find that if for you. They are incredibly helpful. HelenW

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Call or email Customer Service, they do not monitor the Forum.

• Sue R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an extra piece thats 8.5 x 35", plus a few additional scraps if you can't locate any. You'll need to piece but you'll be able to keep working. Let me know.

Originally posted by jtutton View Post
      Thank you, Barbara Black, for telling Alex about the trifold bias for the stems! Works great, and so much faster than other methods. I got about 5 1/2 yards out of a 17 inch square. I pieced it like you do with making the tube for bias binding. Just in case anyone wants to know how much you can get out of the extra fabric.
      Jane, so glad you like it. I always want “the fastest method that gives me the result I want “. I have learned and tried all the other methods often taught, this is just so simple. Cut the bias 3 times the desired finished width, press in thirds.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Barbara, I agree, that is a great way to make bias stems. I have always used the metal bias bars for making bias, and put the stitched fold on the back side before placing on the quilt. I like your method so much better. HelenW

Pure curiosity: What is the Brackman ID that Alex used for this pattern?

Comment

If anyone has a die cutting machine and would like to use it for cutting the flowers and leaves, I went ahead and made a cut file for it. It is pretty huge, though. I am going to try and do fusible appliqué for this. Need to fuse the fusible to the fabric first, but I am going to try it. I may do a test cut with one set of leaves or something to try it out. I have not cut fabric with a fusible on my machine yet. I would be happy to share my file.

Comment

If anyone is h*ll bent on getting the kalidoscope ? sp fabric .... Quilted Threads of Henniker NH has full bolts, they do have a website but not online shopping but you could call them and place an order.

Comment

• Anne B. commented
            Editing a comment
            And I got the bundle of fat quarters from Along Came Quilting in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They're Canadian fat quarters, which are bigger than American fat quarters, because they're each a quarter of a metre, not a quarter of a yard.

Alex, how does the Quilters Select Cutaway compare with the Appliquick stabilizer? Is there a reason to use one over the other, or will both work equally well?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Happy to say I found more white fabric on line and should have it in a week or so. Thank you Alex for stating in your video yesterday the names of the 2 white fabrics. That got be searching quickly. I’m sure its the correct one.
            Also, thank you to the lady who offered her scrap piece. Quilter’s are so helpful. In the meantime i will start making flowers. Going to use my Scan and cut to cut the shapes.

Comment

Originally posted by EditorAnne View Post
              Alex, how does the Quilters Select Cutaway compare with the Appliquick stabilizer? Is there a reason to use one over the other, or will both work equally well?
              Anne, go to Quilters Select website and read about both. They have different purposes.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL
              https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by EditorAnne View Post
                Anne, Like Barbara said read about both. On the Quilters Select Cutaway you tube, at min. #1 Aex shows using it for turned applique. It is like the interfacing type of process. You cut the the shape in fabric and then again in the cutaway. Put the cut away
                fusible side up on the right side of the fabric. Stitch your seam allowance, clip a slit in the cutaway and turn it inside out. Then place on your project fuse in place and edge stitch the applique. With the Appliqick stabilizer you make turned edge applique by cutting the stabilizer to the finished size of the shape. Fuse it to the back side of the fabric. Cut the fabric with a quarter inch seam allowance. Use the glue stick and the Appliquick rods to turn the seam edge over the stabilizer. Both could be used with this project.

If you use Cutaway with applique, it is best to use for shapes with gentle curves and large enough to turn inside out.
                Appliquick Stabilizer can be used with really small applique and points that are fiddly to turn the edge on. I love using the Appliquick rods
                and a glue stick for doing turned edge applique. If you have not watched Rosa Rojas show ( I think it is 1912) it is a must see if you like appliqué. Since Alex flowers, leaves and center circles are good size either would work. HelenW
                Last edited by Helen W.; 06-04-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Carol M. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can also use the Appliquik just as a stabilizer for the raw edge pieces. I have been using it because I had a big supply of it. I used it for prepared edges with glue on this project. For the stem I folded it in thirds like Barbara Black suggested but I also added a 1/4" Clover fusible on the back of the stems to iron it down as I apply it.
                  Did anybody tally how many petals large and small and leaves large and small they are making?

I’m always confused about fusible! I was going to use Appli-Stick for my white half moons. I have a large package of it. Will this work ok? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hlcapecod View Post
                  I’m always confused about fusible! I was going to use Appli-Stick for my white half moons. I have a large package of it. Will this work ok? Thanks
                  Appli-stick would be for raw edge appliqué. I used that for the flowers and leaves. I could not imagine doing finished with that many pieces. Works great for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by jtutton View Post

Appli-stick would be for raw edge appliqué. I used that for the flowers and leaves. I could not imagine doing finished with that many pieces. Works great for that purpose.
                    Jane T, If you do raw edge applique using apple-stick, test the white on a scrap to see if the colors in block will shadow thru.
                    If they do and you still want to use it, you can use a light weight fusible interfacing on the back side of white fabric before
                    cutting the moon shapes. HelenW

Comment

Which background.Dots or triangles?
                      Susan Skeel
                      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2028 users online. 179 members and 1849 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                      X