Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same question, Karen. I have lots of Steam a Seam II Lite and am hoping this will work. And thanks for the great suggestion of using four sheets of freezer paper ironed together for a template.

Comment

I want to cut the blades out, the long edge of the blade measures 8.25 inches printed, the block is 8.5. Are these blades correct from my printer, how long are they supposed to be? I don't want to cut them short, Thanks, Paula

Comment

• Geraldine G. commented
        Editing a comment
        My question is related to yours, Paula. The square on the pattern page did not measure 2” when I printed it on my printer. When I enlarged it to measure the 2” required as stated by the box.... the half moon now measures more than 8.5” tip to tip. In Alex’s video it looked like the half moon fit across the 8.5” sheet. I don’t want to cut until we get these questions answered. What should the half moon measure tip to tip? Can we get an answer soon, please?

• Anne B. commented
        Editing a comment
        To get the square to print at exactly two inches (and therefore to get the blades to print at the right size), you need to make sure the PDF is set to print at the actual size. You should see two choices in the print dialogue: "Fit" and "Actual Size." Make sure the checkmark is in the box next to "Actual Size."

I would like to use my Cricut to cut out my arcs on my stabilizer, but I am having trouble creating an .Svg file. Anyone have one they would share or instructions on how to do that? Thanks.

Comment

• Leslie L. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Jane T,
        I'm using my silhouette cameo and I scanned in the half moons to my studio software then saved the file as an SVG. I don't know if we're allowed to upload files here, but I have it if you need it. Maybe I could email it to you?

Originally posted by sunnysewsit View Post
      I have the same question, Karen. I have lots of Steam a Seam II Lite and am hoping this will work. And thanks for the great suggestion of using four sheets of freezer paper ironed together for a template.
      Sunnysewsit, What Alex is using allows her to do a turned edge for her applique using a glue stick to turn the seam allowance.
      You could not do a turned edge with Steam a Seam lite, but you could make it raw edge applique. You would cut the arc without
      a seam allowance on the curved part if you use steam a seam lite. HelenW

Comment

You're right about being able to turn under by using Steam a Seam - I will try one using a light-weight interfacing to see how that works. Thanks Helen

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          You could use a light weight fusible interfacing and trace the arc including the seam allowance. Cut it out. Cut out the arc including
          seam allowance. Pin the interfacing fusible side facing right side of arc. Sew on the seam allowance sew line. Turn it inside out
          and fuse to the spool block. Then edge stitch. HelenW

• Sharon M. commented
          Editing a comment
          I found this technique by Lori Buhler and am trying it. It is a version of turn technique that looked perfect for this application. It's from her book "Fuss-Free Machine Appliqué: Sew on the Line for Great Results by Lori Buhler," and is described on this site https://blog.shopmartingale.com/quil...ue-by-machine/. It uses Easy Pattern strips with the blades traced on them and a strip of fabric, then you just sew the finished seam lines. You really need to look at the pictures in the article - didn't want to copy/paste for copyright reasons.

To those wondering why Alex didn't use Fabric Prep, I believe she did cover that in one live. She said she wanted something with absolutely no stretch in any direction and that is not the fabric prep. It is a bit more fluid than the product she chose. I don't have that, so I am going to try Stable Stuff and glue to keep it in place.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Jane, Stable Stuff and glue should work great. HelenW

• Kathy C. commented
          Editing a comment
          Duh - that would have been much easier than my spray basting and then turning and glueing! I had completely forgotten about the turning inside-out method! Thanks again, Helen. Can I adopt you?

I had my blocks ready yesterday to assemble when Alex was going to give the secret of how to put everything together. Unless I missed something on the video, she did not address how to add the half moon pieces. I was wondering if that was going to happen in a subsequent video and if so, when that would be. I am anxious to finish my quilt!

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Rochelle, I believe she said next Monday she would put the arcs on the blocks. That would be May 17th. HelenW

Just thought I would let you all know, i didn’t have print n fuse lite, so I got out my Stable Stuff and am using glue and it’s working well.

Comment

Alex, could you please tell us what page of Barbara Brackman's book contains the Spinning Spools block? I can't find it, so I suspect it has a name that has nothing to do with spools. Would like to look it up.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

• Monique L. commented
            Editing a comment
            I think she called it London Bridge.

• Anne B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Monique.

Originally posted by GeriKay View Post
          My question is related to yours, Paula. The square on the pattern page did not measure 2” when I printed it on my printer. When I enlarged it to measure the 2” required as stated by the box.... the half moon now measures more than 8.5” tip to tip. In Alex’s video it looked like the half moon fit across the 8.5” sheet. I don’t want to cut until we get these questions answered. What should the half moon measure tip to tip? Can we get an answer soon, please?
          The Half Moon is 8.5” from tip to tip on the straight edge. It fits the pieced square exactly because it was trimmed to 8.5”.

Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL
          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Well, a couple of days ago I opened my washing machine and found three fat quarters that had been washed but not dried. Two were green and one was green and blue. Now I'm torn about taking some of the strips apart and putting in the green and blue one instead. Just when I was getting ready to put the blades on, grrr. Old age is settling in.

Comment

• Alex A. commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel your pain!

Originally posted by paulatownsend View Post
            I want to cut the blades out, the long edge of the blade measures 8.25 inches printed, the block is 8.5. Are these blades correct from my printer, how long are they supposed to be? I don't want to cut them short, Thanks, Paula
            The Half Moon shapes are 8.5" from tip to tip on the straight edge. They fit exactly to the 8.5" pieced blocks made earlier. Double check your printing scale. If you can't get it to print correctly, just draw it--you know the size, 8.5" across and you have the curve. Create your own template.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

I'm getting ready to cut my moons. Does the pattern include the 1/4" for the curve?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                Editing a comment
                Judith, You fuse the pattern template fusible to the fabric, then you cut 1/4 inch beyond the template on the curve so you can glue it down. HelenW

Originally posted by Jecreed View Post
              I'm getting ready to cut my moons. Does the pattern include the 1/4" for the curve?
              The pattern shows the curve is the finished edge. Did you watch Lesson 4? Alex explains to cut out the fabric curved edge 1/4” beyond the pattern after you press the pattern to the fabric.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

I decided to make more blocks and enlarge this quilt. But now I need more white... I’m wondering about using bleach solid instead of the white. (Since I do have enough black solid now). Alex, any opinion on what this change means for this quilt??

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Becky, Are you asking what it would look like with a combination of some arcs white and some arc black. What does bleach solid
                  mean? HelenW

• Becky M. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh my!! It should be BLACK solid! No bleaching here.....
                  I’m wondering what your opinion is on using black instead of white fabric?

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2859 users online. 551 members and 2308 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X