Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Choosing colors for the mariner's compass
    I've just gotten started on this project and have finished the first set of small buildings from stash, primarily Alison...
  • small building 2
    The background on small building 2 is going the opposite direction from small building 1. Did I do something incorrectly...
  • Foot is sticking to freezer paper
    I am using the #10C foot (Bernina) and it has started sticking to the freezer paper and causing my fabric to pucker. Are...
  • Tall buildings--show your progress here
    Please use THIS TOPIC to show off your Tall Buildings as you get them made

There is another Topic for ASKING...
  • MONTH 6--TALL BUILDING #1--Ask Questions Here
    A day early--get your Tall Buildings #1 pattern! Be sure to watch the VIDEO as well as reading the directions.
  • Photos Fixed, Fingers Crossed
    The web folks have been working to fix the photos. Let’s see if you can see all 3 of these photos, as large as you like....
  • Color My World Block 1, LATE!
    Late to the party and new to the site! I saw someone's CMW post on FB, and it inspired me to join TQS to begin this project....
  • Inset circles: The upper road and the center circle.
    I feel the frustration a few of the TQS quilters are having with the roads. I googled tips for inserting circles and found...
  • Round 5
    I finished and assembled round 5 today. Here it is. I will have to quilt heavily to make it flat. My road line makers were...
  • Out of Round
    This may have been asked before, but my small houses do not lie flat. How do I figure out if the problem is the top of...
  • Sharing our ideas...
    It is always so fun so see all the different ways that quilters go about making the quilts personal to them.
    I was...
  • Washed fabric out of alignment.
    When I washed my fabric, some of the smaller pieces were out of "alignment" by about 3 inches to the right and...
  • Trimming solid pieces for roadway
    I understand that you use the road template to trim up the pieced,black and white unit but what about the solid one? Do...
  • Bom 2021 1-5
    Greetings from Switzerland
  • My Small House Ring is 3d :(
    I sewed all the small houses together with what I thought were very accurate seam allowances! My ring is more like a squished...
  • Very confusing as to where to Post each mth
    Hi Barb, I posted my completed Mth 1-5 under what was titled "Official Month 5" Now that doesn't exist anymore....
  • My alternative way to attach the roads
    I am piecing the each piece of road to 2 houses, then sewing them together to get 4 houses. So they are pie shaped. The...
  • BOM wrinkled fabric
    Washed my fabric and it is now a wrinkled mess. I have tried using steam, wetting and Easy Press. Wrinkles are so bad it...
  • No more items.

Our Sponsors

Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Please use this Topic to ask your questions about the Spinning Spools project.

Thanks!
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Is it okay to use foundation paper for sewing the spools?

Comment

Ive made all my spools using foundation paper.

Comment

Someone had said they were going to use men’s ties. Could you elaborate on that, mine aren’t as bright of colors as the solid fabrics

Comment

I’m also using foundation paper.
          I got 500 sheets of School Smart blank newsprint drawing paper from Amazon for $9.02.
          Or you can get 100 sheets of Carol Doak’s Foundation Paper for $18.91!
          It is already cut 8-1/2” x11”, so I just trimmed off the long side for the perfect foundation.
          For Alex’s method the fused foundation gets left in and is light weight.
          You can use muslin or other fabric and leave it in, but it will add weight/bulk.
          Using paper foundations required the extra step of removing the paper, which is easier if you shorten your stitch length.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Alex, why did you choose to use the QS Cutaway instead of the QS Fabric Prep for the block foundations?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have the same question as to why the QS Cutaway was selected instead of the QS Fabric Prep. Can the Fabric be used is one does not have the Cutaway?
              Jackie

Comment

This reply by jptousley has been deleted by jptousley
                Repetitious

Correction: Can the Fabric Prep be used if one does not have the Cutaway?
                Jackie

Following the Monday class, I cut 2 each of the 3 sizes from the 20 FQs. I realized after that 1 each would have been sufficient since each strip can be cut in half ... yielding enough for almost all of the blocks. Will I have enough of the remaining FQ quantities (about 6 inches wide each) for the flowers?

Comment

I’m having trouble with Select Cutaway sticking. I have the shiny side to fabric. It will stick if I press it on cutaway side up but not fabric side up. Any suggestions

Comment

Abilene, I'm using the ties and they are not as bright, but hope they will look good anyway.
                    Last edited by SueGee; 05-21-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I was making active choices for my fabrics for the first 8 or so blocks, then I did some random ones, just making the decision on how wide the strip was My only rule was that it could not be the same fabric as the one it attaches to. Anyone else do this? These are pretty fun.

Comment

Help. I cannot find where to ask a question... So this may appear as a reply to the previous post. I do not have the QS cutaway but do have fusible mesh stabilizer. Will this work?

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysewsit View Post
                          Help. I cannot find where to ask a question... So this may appear as a reply to the previous post. I do not have the QS cutaway but do have fusible mesh stabilizer. Will this work?
                          sunnysewsit, Alex mentioned that the stabilizer should have stability. You don't want something that stretches because your blocks might go wonky. Mesh sounds like it might stretch. HelenW

Comment

I watched today's class on the white half-moons. It was hard to tell in the video, did you glue onto the fusible side? I haven't used this product before and ended up with Softfuse sheets instead as my store was sold out. Usually the fusible will go on the wrong side of the fabric but it was had to see in the video as both were white.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1157 users online. 245 members and 912 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,336 at 05:30 PM on 06-14-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,734   Posts: 145,684   Members: 17339   Active Members: 2,409  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Tall buildings--show your progress here
                              Hi everyone, sew fun seeing everyone’s progress on the first tall bldgs. I struggled a lot on choosing the background...
                            • Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE
                              LLT, I have done preassembled flowers the way you are describing many times and it works great. I lay a piece of tear away...
                              Leeanna, Sounds like a good plan to me. If you like the look of the overlap of leaves and flowers onto the quilt top, you...
                              Julie, I think that would make for a darling wall hanging for your sewing area. Instead of the vines, maybe you could do...
                              I am thinking about using sewing notions for the applique shapes on the Spinning Spools quilt rather than flowers-I am a...
                              I am thinking of machine appliqué the vines down first then adding the flowers and leaves and applique them down next....
                            • Spinning Spools--SHOW YOUR WORK HERE
                              I finally got all my flowers, leaves, and dots done! I had never done finished edge applique, and decided this was the time!!...
                            • Introductions
                              I’m going to jump off the cliff and test the “Blog” feature of the Forum. I have been a member of The Quilt Show from...
                            • Sandy's Quilting Journal
                              Sandy’s Quilting Journal is about how I started quilting, what I’m working on now and what I want to accomplish in the future.
                              Can the flowers be "preassembled" prior to placing them on to the vine? Maybe by stitching the Little Petal to...
                              Geez. I don't know what I was counting when I posted this tally, but if the doubling of the petals big+ a little is done...
                              SueGee, Your got it right. It looks great with just the multicolored narrow border and an outside border that is not wide...
                              So after many starts and rejects, I finally decided on a border. Applique just did not look right with the neck ties. ...
                            • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                            X