Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Making a red and white quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a red and white quilt

I have always sewn , using alot of colors , but I want to make a red and white quilt , I would like some tips and suggestions. Before I start. To avoid any disappointments later . Like what color of thread is best red or white? Also how to press seams . And any other tips would be appreciated . Thank you . Victoria

Hi, Victoria, and welcome to the Forum! I, too, love red and white quilts, and just completed one last month. It was a signature quilt made for my daughter and son-in-law with fabrics signed at their wedding reception, and I presented it to them on their first anniversary. That gave me a year to shop for fabric, finalize the design, and construct it. Red is a favorite color for both of them, so I figured a red and white quilt would be easy to live with.

I prewashed all of my fabrics, but I did not check them individually for bleeding. I may do that in the future, and there was alink to Esther Aliu's blog from the TQS Daily Blog posting of August 29 that describes how to do just that. Since the quilt I made for Matt and Sarah is a wallhanging, i have recommmended that they never wash it (I'm guessing that there is still a bleeding risk for some of the fabrics, even though prewashed).

I pressed all my seams open on this quilt because I didn't want to see red shadowing thru the white triangles, and because I wanted the top to be as flat as possible.

I machine quilted it using white Bottom Line thread on the top and in the bobbin. The signatures were the star of this quilt, so it is mostly ditch quilted. I did do a feathered wreath and grid quilting in the center section with their monogram, and I was pleased with the result.

If you need design ideas, just do a google image search for red and white quilts, or search on Pinterest. There are a ton of beautiful designs out there! Good luck and have fun with your quilt.

I bought lots of fabric to make this quilt, and I have a lot leftover, so I see more red and white quilts in my future!

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

I haven't (yet) done a red and white quilt, but I have used quite a bit of reds this year and last and I totally second Connie's advice to prewash them all, and if any are in the mood for bleeding, put them in a bucket of hot water and leave them there for a day or two. I learnt this from hand dyeing - it is not necessarily the number of rinses that is important, but the actual amount of time in the water. Retayne is recommended at this stage of washing.

Comment

I haven't made one but the thing I remember being said about choosing the reds is "the more the better". The more you choose, apparently, the better they all look together. Sounds good to me. Good luck and keep us posted. We like to see work along the way to completion.

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
          I haven't made one but the thing I remember being said about choosing the reds is "the more the better". The more you choose, apparently, the better they all look together. Sounds good to me. Good luck and keep us posted. We like to see work along the way to completion.

I think that's great advice for any multi-fabric quilt! That way, if there are a few "dogs" in the lot, they won't be as apparent!!

Also...there are no ugly fabrics! You just haven't cut it into small enough pieces!! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thank you all for your comments, but should I piece using red thread or white ? Any suggestion?

Comment

You also don't have to worry about running out of a specific fabric. You can fill in with anything.

Nancy

Comment

Not sure what I would use for the piecing. I'd probably start by looking at a light to medium gray and see how it blends in with both colors.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by vmacqueen
                  Thank you all for your comments, but should I piece using red thread or white ? Any suggestion?
                  I think that if the tension on your machine is correct, and your stitch length is correct, you should be able to use either red or white!

You can always make some samples. Stitch a couple of units with each color thread and gently pull on the seam to see which is more noticeable to you.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Victoria, I pieced my quilt with light gray 50 wt Aurifil thread, and it worked fine.

Comment

I'm using Superior Threads MasterPiece Granite (light gray) so far it blends great wil light, dark and multi brights.

Barb

Comment

Connie, really like your red and white quilt, I bet your daughter and son-in-law do too!

Barb

Comment

Personally I would go with white, but Margo has the best suggestion, try out a few combinations and see what works for you & your machine.

Comment

I am doing the BOM in red and white and I used bottom line cream coloured thread in the top and bobbin. Because a lot of it was paper pieced the stitches are very small so nothing has shown through at all. I also used a wide variety of different red fabrics. I think that if you space them evenly throughout the quilt it works best. Good luck and hope we get to see what you are doing at some point.

Comment

Thank you all so much, lots of good ideas , I'm anxious to get started. Victoria

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2209 users online. 372 members and 1837 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25584   Active Members: 1,287  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Betty King-jimbrett0712.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X