Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PosyP
    Marianne - a thought occurs, is your cutting table a good height for your body dimensions? this might be a possible source of you problems, also are you standing in a draught - I know that that can give neckache whilst working.
    Rosemary,
    Thank you very much for the thought So sweet of you. All my cutting problems previously have been neck related (something that has something to do with an un-diagnosed whip lash in the early 80ties I think) but have disappeared after some exercises. This was when I had a cutting table. Now I cut at the kitchen worktop (no sewing room in my new house) and the pain has moved down into my elbow and is persistent. Your idea of being in a draught is spot on actually because the vent in the kitchen window on my right has been open all the time so maybe this is the cause or has made it worse. It has to be said that it is a very long time since I have cut as much as I ha've done since the Sampler Quilt class started; this last year has been occupied with my move back to the UK. Not helped that I got very excited about the class as well as getting back to my sewing machine and was in the "just make one more block before bedtime" mode :lol:
    Once I have got over this bout of RSI I will certainly take a close look at how I stand, my cutter, draught, maybe see if I can find somewhere else to cut - I have to rest the elbow for 3 weeks so I have plenty of time to reflect :shock:
    Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
      I hope you find a solution that works for you! (And I wish I had other suggestions for you to try, but I just don't know anything about it.) But I feel your pain and look forward to seeing your progress when you are feeling better.

Nancy
      Thank you, Nancy. I 'm taking a long hard look at my equipment and the "cutting" possibilities around the house.
      Marianne

Comment

If all else fails, could you put your dining table up on bricks for cutting sessions?

Comment

If all else fails, could you put your dining table up on bricks for cutting sessions?
          Very good idea; easier to adjust than the kitchen work tops If I can't find bricks I could always put sewing/quilting books under the legs - got enough of them to get a fair height :P
          Marianne

Comment

Yes and what's the bets that the book in the middle of the pile under the leg is the one you suddenly need? :lol: Another alternative, very high heeled shoes - you know, like the ankle-breakers all the young things are wearing these days. Honestly, I thought they had stopped binding women's feet a century ago. :roll: Marianne, do you have a pair of those glittery platform boots left over from the 70s? :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

And just how is Marianne's table supposed to wear ankle breakers or 70's platform boots? :lol:

Working at a low table is a killer, I know because I have to help the tinies at school cut up their meals (and get them to use knives & forks instead of fingers for a roast dinner :roll: )

This is how I have fixed my work table - granted it is set up permanantly but the idea holds good. I got some pvc tubing that fitted over the legs, and cut it into four (they could actually be shorter than they are), and then worked out how much higher I wanted the table, and cut blocks of wood that (2"x2"? x added height) put the blocks inside the tubes, put some packing tape over the bottom (because they kept falling out :roll: ) and then putting the table on it's side slid them on and then got it back upright. The reason for the pvc pipe is that it stops the table from falling off the blocks and keeps them reasonably narrow, so I can still get lots of stuff under there :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                  Yes and what's the bets that the book in the middle of the pile under the leg is the one you suddenly need? :lol: Another alternative, very high heeled shoes - you know, like the ankle-breakers all the young things are wearing these days. Honestly, I thought they had stopped binding women's feet a century ago. :roll: Marianne, do you have a pair of those glittery platform boots left over from the 70s? :lol:
                  Sadly no platform shoes nor high heels for that matter. I couldn't afford the platform ones in the 70ties being a poor student and a half-torn Achilles tendon put a stop to any form of heel on shoes. I hasten to add that the half-torn tendon was not a sewing related accident :wink:
                  I will have to see if I can find some other foot wear for the table :lol:
                  Marianne

Comment

And just how is Marianne's table supposed to wear ankle breakers or 70's platform boots? :lol:
                    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I have to report my progress. Actually, it's progress on the tangents I've been following. I am quite eager to sew my sampler top together. I have also been working on it in another colorway. Needed room on the design wall whiched forced me to sew my GMFG together. Now I know why I was procrastinating. 1,800 butterfly seams later, but who's counting?...... Oh,I guess that would be me. :roll: :roll: :roll: These are all fabrics that I've been collecting since I started quilting in the 1970's. I can't wait to start quilting it. All kinds of ideas are floating in my head. I have also been working on a birthday project, A4 size, for my neice. Pictures later.

Comment

Lois, that is so pretty, well done. I don't think I could have done that by machine. Having said that I am assembling 3/4" hexies for a quilt idea I had last year. Boy are they small. But I am doing them by hand.

Comment

Lois - It's beautiful! I love the way you used the greens to make little leaves by the flowers. I've never seen that before. What a good idea! This quilt will be one to treasure because it contains memories of all of those other quilts!

Nancy

Comment

So cute Lois!
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Lois - your GFG quilt is absolutely lovely! I love the green hexagons beside each flower, making them look like leaves. And I love the idea of using fabric from over the years. How special! I just love GFG.
                              Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Your GFG quilt is beautiful and fresh, Lois and that fact that you made it with fabrics collected over the years will take you down Memory Lane everytime you look at it and will be a wonderful conversation piece with like-minded friends. I can't even imagine 1800 butterfly seams! I don't think I've even sewn 1000 seams total yet... ops: I really love what you did there and I can't wait to see what you do with the quilting! Congratulations and sorry you were not able to come to the show in Philadelphia, I really look forward to meeting you!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2243 users online. 282 members and 1961 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Virginia Medbery-medberyginger.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X