Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks ! Everybody !

Comment

I've been working here and there back on week three. :shock: Oh well, perhaps I'll get caught up before the end of the classes, but it doesn't look promising. Tomorrow is out because I've just arranged to have my grandson spend his after school time on Thursdays with me to work on crafty things. And so I'll do a little cleaning and organizing for that in the morning. But I'll spend Friday all day in my studio. I'm making a new tote bag to take with me to the quilt show in Phily plus a few other preparations for that. But it's all so much more fun than I was having this time last year when I was still working at my old job. :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
      Betty Jo

Comment

I'm sure you will have a great time with your grandson

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
          Originally posted by PosyP
          Just don't drink all the limoncello before you get stitching :wink:
          Don't worry, Rosemary, we will have it before, during and after stitching! You want to join us? :P :P :P
          Sure, I would love to, but since I am up to date with this class :shock: I will probably be working on either my waist coat quilting - you remember I said that I would be needing the frame for a school project, well school starts next week, & I haven't touched it until yesterday :roll: , or a new skirt I have been promising myself for about a month (pretty new project that :wink: ) or yesterday I got the bit between my teeth and cut all the strips for my reels tops & b/grounds & fancy getting on with seeing how they will look.

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
            Originally posted by ritzy
            Lois, I might be missing something, but if you turn the block that is on the right side in the picture, one quarter turn--wouldn't it be laid out the same as the block on the left?
            Yep! I tried that but it was mirror images I was dealing with and a 1/4 turn in either direction ended being the same thing. I was sure that was all I had to do but it just didn't work. I get mixed up so easily anyway. I have notes on all the paper piecing SEW ON THIS SIDE! So far its working.
            Lois this is always a recommended technique when working with something that is 'handed', it doesn't matter how you mark it, but marking it is a must - sleeves are another good case in point, and don't ask how I know :roll: :P

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
              I'm sure you will have a great time with your grandson
              Norma, I do enjoy it when he comes over. I'm so lucky to live nearby.

Betty Jo

Comment

Ok, my grandson is making a small boat using Duck tape (as opposed to duct tape), so I snuck off to work on those week three blocks. I am CLEARLY not cut out to be a traditional quilter. They are pretty, but NONE of the centers line up precisely. Now I ask you...why doesn't this work for me? I cut it right, I stitched it carefully, I ironed it carefully, but when it comes down to the joining the last two sets together, the centers just don't line up. ops: :shock: :x :?

Ok, so I can make a beautiful bride's dress, a man's suit, a beutifully precision quilted perspectives thread quilt, but my blocks like this don't line up. :roll: The baby that gets this will just have to like it. I'm not redoing it all. :lol: :lol: Of course, I could put some butterflies or something just there. No one would know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Betty Jo

Comment

It can be very tricky. I have to pin carefully to do this and my best method is to put a pin very close to the point on each side and not remove the pins before hand guiding the sewing machine over them. I hope your big machine accepts to be hand guided . I think I have seen this demonstrated somewhere not long ago but I can't recall where it was.
                  I'm sure the baby will love the quilt, points meeting or not.

Comment

Hi Betty Jo - I'm sure your blocks are better than you think (where are our pictures to admire????) and the baby will love whatever you make. Butterflies are always a useful addition!

My matches are definitely far from perfect, but what helps me most is care in the direction of my pressing so that the seams nestle into each other. I'm also a pinner. I pin wherever I want points to match and I pin at the end of the seam. I also slow down when I get to a matching point and make sure that the seam on the underside doesn't get folded the wrong way by the feed dogs. Then I make sure that the seams are still nestled and push down on the matching point with the index finger on my left hand while the pieces go under the needle to try to keep anything from shifting. And I actually do all of my piecing using my walking foot, which I think reduces the shifting caused by a normal presser foot. (I use my walking foot for pretty much everything except FMQ and piping.)

I don't know if any of this helps, but thought I'd pass it along.

Nancy

Comment

Good thought to use the walking foot.

Take it as a sign Betty Jo for what you are destined to do

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
                        Hi Betty Jo - I'm sure your blocks are better than you think (where are our pictures to admire????) and the baby will love whatever you make. Butterflies are always a useful addition!

My matches are definitely far from perfect, but what helps me most is care in the direction of my pressing so that the seams nestle into each other. I'm also a pinner. I pin wherever I want points to match and I pin at the end of the seam. I also slow down when I get to a matching point and make sure that the seam on the underside doesn't get folded the wrong way by the feed dogs. Then I make sure that the seams are still nestled and push down on the matching point with the index finger on my left hand while the pieces go under the needle to try to keep anything from shifting. And I actually do all of my piecing using my walking foot, which I think reduces the shifting caused by a normal presser foot. (I use my walking foot for pretty much everything except FMQ and piping.)

I don't know if any of this helps, but thought I'd pass it along.

Nancy

:lol: :lol: Exactly! I do all of those too. The points match in the two-set section, very nicely. it's the central set that doesn't. butterflies! That's my answer. :lol:

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
                          Good thought to use the walking foot.

Take it as a sign Betty Jo for what you are destined to do
                          :wink: precisely. :lol:

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
                            It can be very tricky. I have to pin carefully to do this and my best method is to put a pin very close to the point on each side and not remove the pins before hand guiding the sewing machine over them. I hope your big machine accepts to be hand guided . I think I have seen this demonstrated somewhere not long ago but I can't recall where it was.
                            I'm sure the baby will love the quilt, points meeting or not.
                            Norma, that probably would work. My big machine does. I am pleased at how well it's handling the fabric. It's me that isn't. ops:

Betty Jo

Comment

Another trick I've come across and used is to just sew across the centre point, then check if it is in the right place, if it isn't you only need to unpick 1/2" of stitching, if it is right then go back and stitch the whole seam.

Betty Jo

Comment

Rosemary, That's a great idea.

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2285 users online. 240 members and 2045 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25587   Active Members: 1,297  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X