Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twiglet
    I've cut out my stars, this is where I wish I stayed with 6" squares :lol: Oh dear more blocks tomorrow.

Lois bet they'll be great. I often go through a spell during a quilt where I dislike it.
    Have I missed something - I thought you were doing the 6" squares? is your cutting off, or are you trying out your insanity for small scale?

Lois if you still think it is dreadful you could try offering them up for swaps with some one else who is doing this quilt, who hates their squares too! Failing that there is always the bucket of black dye waiting :wink:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by crocus999
      How about trying to blend the butt ugly with the strange?
      Now there's an idea! Perhaps I should document this adventure as Betty Jo might call it.

Comment

Lois, I don't believe for one second that your blocks are going to be strange or butt ugly. What you showed us some time back looked really lovely.

Comment

Lois, I just took a peek back at your fabrics drying on the line and they are all gorgeous. Can't see how you can get BU out of those fabrics? :lol:

Comment

Lois, thank you for the laugh though I am sure you wouldn't appreciate how hard I laughed.

Comment

This is going to take a photo. I took one this afternoon but I am not home right now and I don't have my camera with me. The background fabric is just a bit much. It is absolutely becoming YUK in my book. I definitely will not use it for the joining strips. I went ahead and drafted some of Nancy's setting blocks. They will give me the opportunity add new color which will delute the Influence of the background colo. Hopefully, that will improve the situation. It can't get worse! Tomorrow I will post the picture. I am just like the quilter Ricky mimics, first I dilly dally with decisions, and then, after I get going I say, "I don't like it!" :x :x :x Whine. Whine. Whine! LOL

Comment

O lois, those fabrics did look good on the line together so you probably just haven't added the one that's going to make them work.

Originally posted by PosyP
                Have I missed something - I thought you were doing the 6" squares? is your cutting off, or are you trying out your insanity for small scale?
                :lol: :lol: yes my cutting is off but I decided to do 4 1/2 inch squares. Well if you can do 1/4 or 1/12 I reckoned I could manage that (except the maths :lol: )

So what size is everyone else doing?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

All my squares are 6 1/2" Wendy. Any smaller than that and I would probably eat them first.

Comment

I am doing 6" too - and I find them small enough; not much room for error. My head is not up to the math that is needed to change the size. I have to put stick-it-notes on my ruler to remember to cut the right size and that is when it is given to me in a pattern. As there seems to be tools for anything under the sun when it comes to quilting do you have a tool to help you?
                    Marianne

Comment

Here are my blocks as they are now. "I don't like them!" Whine. Whine. Whine. :lol: :lol: :lol: But actually that's okay. Why have I left beautiful fabrics on my shelves for years? Because I was afraid I would turn them into something I don't like. I was afraid of ruining beautiful fabric. Well, the truth of the matter is that I really want to make quilts more than i want to collect fabric so I have to take a chance on making something that doesn't turn out as well as I like. I also get bored limiting myself to fabrics that were designed to go together. I don't like these blocks real well but you know its not the end of the world. :!: :!: :!: Wendy is right I can improve the situation by adding something new to the mix. :idea: That is my intention today.

Comment

Lois - I LOVE them!! I think the fabric in the middle of the stars brings all of the colors together (although I love the colors without that, too). Maybe if you add more of that you will love them better? I truly love them as they are!! Maybe you will also love them better after you finish and get a chance to step back. I find that when I'm pushing the color envelope and I'm nervous about the colors to begin with, that I find myself second guessing everything and hating the blocks while I make them. But, once I put them together and step back, I fall in love again. Take a step back, take a deep breath, get a cup of coffee and let yourself enjoy the blocks. If, in the end, you still really don't like the blocks or the quilt, that's okay. As you say, the fabric really wants to be used. (And they would find a very happy home here in Colorado with me!!)

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                          Here are my blocks as they are now. "I don't like them!" Whine. Whine. Whine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
                          and out of it comes a quilt which to me looks wonderful . Don't give up, you might like it at the end

living in Central Denmark
                          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

From what I see on my screen you have yellow & purple - complimentary colours should work; and red & green - also complimentary colours, also should work. However the green is a greyish olive green and I think that that is pulling the colours to their greyer shades and making the combinations 'sad'. Also it is reading as medium light through to medium dark in value - could that be part of the problem?

How to fix it, I really don't know, would adding clean pure colours work? or adding in the last 2 complimentary colours (blue & orange)- not sure about that....going paler? going darker? both? Lots of fabric auditioning and taking photos as you go is probably your best bet.

If all else fails, I am still willing to stump up for you to get that bucket of black dye :wink: :lol: or just go with Nancy's advice :wink:

living in Central Denmark
                            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Lois,
                              There is something very attractive about the mutedness of your color choices. I suspect you're going to like your piece better when it is quilted and done. One thing that struck me personally was that the center square fabric of the sawtooth block might make a lovely border and could pull it all together. I also thought that perhaps, a lighter, brighter shade of your background fabric might set off the blocks very nicely when you consider the fabric for the sashing. I, for one, look forward to seeing how you go about it. I'm willing to bet that the challenge this quilt presents you with in terms of fabrics will become the reason you will really love your quilt in the end (and yes, you will remember all the whining you did along the way as part of the story of how this quilt came about with a smile).

Comment

I don't think they're so bad!...they just need a spark !! Hard to tell on the screen but I'm thinking
                                a dark sash...like the dark in the backround floral print ...might pop the blocks and the floral in a
                                wider border would bring it all together. Would love to see a photo mock-up.... lots of ways to go!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2274 users online. 232 members and 2042 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25586   Active Members: 1,296  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X