Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made some more star blocks and played with different methods of making the Flying Geese unit. I have also tried different ways of pressing the seams in the FG block. I found I like to press the seams open.

I have now started thinking further ahead and actually suddenly realised that I should really know before I press the final seams in the blocks how I am going to put all of them together. I know this sampler is done with sashing strips but if I want to put the blocks together instead then I should really have a plan before I press. Of course I can always snip a seam allowance here and there to open or turn it to the other side but that is doubling the work. So what do you seasoned piecers do? Do you leave off pressing the final seams or do you have it all planned out before you even cut the fabric :?: :?: :?:

Marianne

Comment

I don't know, because I'm not a seasoned piecer, but I love your blocks. I'm getting behind...have gotten so busy with other things. I'll try to get caught up this coming week.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
      Betty Jo

Comment

Marianne, i do a lot of piecing and have run into difficulty because I haven't planned out the direction of piecing beforehand. My last two big quilts were the 2009 and 2011 BOM with Sue Garman's directions, where she talked about pressing, so those worked out well. The problem comes mostly from angled seams adding bulk.

One of the reasons I like Eleanor Burns' books, is that she plans the pressing so that things nest together. Watching her shows for years has taught me that I would do better if I planned too!

I did a "T" block quilt once with so many triangles and it was lumpy at the seamlines. It was hard to quilt. Fortunately, the giftee doesn't know anything about quilts and was thrilled to receive it!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
          Marianne, i do a lot of piecing and have run into difficulty because I haven't planned out the direction of piecing beforehand. My last two big quilts were the 2009 and 2011 BOM with Sue Garman's directions, where she talked about pressing, so those worked out well. The problem comes mostly from angled seams adding bulk.

One of the reasons I like Eleanor Burns' books, is that she plans the pressing so that things nest together. Watching her shows for years has taught me that I would do better if I planned too!

I did a "T" block quilt once with so many triangles and it was lumpy at the seamlines. It was hard to quilt. Fortunately, the giftee doesn't know anything about quilts and was thrilled to receive it!

Kathy
          Hi Kathy, where do you watch shows with Eleanor Burns? I have watched the 2 shows here on TQS but they don't really talk much about pressing. In the Classroom with Alex Anderson, Piecing 101, she does mention that she should have thought out how to press but then goes on to talk about something else. I followed the hand-out for Laura's class where she says to press the final seams towards the centre squares which makes sense when it is just a single block but not if it is sewn to another star block. I haven't even dared to think how to quilt this :shock: Do you hand quilt?
          I'm in awe of anybody doing the big BOM quilts here. Sue Garman is just amazing. I never realised it was possible to download the instructions for her quilts before it was too late.
          I will look at my library's online catalogue to see if they have any of Eleanor Burns' books. Thanks for the tip!
          So much to learn
          Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
            I don't know, because I'm not a seasoned piecer, but I love your blocks. I'm getting behind...have gotten so busy with other things. I'll try to get caught up this coming week.
            Thank you, Betty Jo.
            IT is hard to keep up when it is a BOW not a BOM isn't it? Sometimes these things come along at just the right time which is what has happened to me so I have been able to keep up. Look forward to seeing what you come up with when you get the time.
            Marianne

Comment

Marianne, you can watch all of Eleanor Burns shows on this link:

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html

Lots and lots of useful stuff there. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                Marianne, you can watch all of Eleanor Burns shows on this link:

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html

Lots and lots of useful stuff there. Enjoy.
                Thank you, Rita! Oh my words - there's a lot and all for free :lol: I can see I will be caffeine-hyper before I get through this lot :P

Marianne

Comment

I watch Quilt in a Day on RFD network, which is on my list of satellite stations. I have my Tivo set to record them, and I just watch them whenever they come on, regardless if I've seen them before . I haven't tried watching them online on Eleanor's website, i should try that!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
                    I watch Quilt in a Day on RFD network, which is on my list of satellite stations. I have my Tivo set to record them, and I just watch them whenever they come on, regardless if I've seen them before . I haven't tried watching them online on Eleanor's website, i should try that!

Kathy
                    Kathy, I'm in the UK and I don't subscribe to any TV so I don't even know what is available here. Online shows are so convinient I find. I am looking forward to exploring the link Rita sent. This classroom is so informative

Marianne

Comment

Just reporting in on progress. I'll spare you pictures! The construction is going great and I am up to date. I've printed the pdf's for tomorrows lesson. I've been playing with beautiful fabrics that have been languishing/wasting away on my shelves trying to learn something about color. That's where the problem is! Right now if I were to blog about what I see on my design wall this would be the title. " How to Take Drop Dead Gorgeous Fabric and Turn it into One Butt Ugly Quilt". :evil: :evil: Don't feel sorry for me! I am LOL for real. I will proceed. It can't get any worse! I am actually making two quilts and to be perfectly honest only one of them is "Butt Ugly". The second one is just a bit strange. :| :| More :lol: :lol: :lol: ! The important thing is I am learning something and the fabric is no longer wasting away.

Comment

Lois, at least you have the pleasure of touching the fabric and for the time being look at it although in small pieces on your design wall.
                        I look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Marianne

Comment

How about trying to blend the butt ugly with the strange?

Comment

Would love to see what you consider butt ugly.

Just got my stars finished, I was going to give them yellow centres, but then decided that that would be too much yellow for the quilt, so I went with the palest orange instead. I will possibly use the yellow in the log cabins though.

For now I really must get on and shorten the sleeves & trousers of DH's new work suit, which is needed for tomorrow :roll:

Comment

Lois - I'd really like to see what you have, too. I'm sure it's nicer than you think. If, after making all of the blocks, you still don't like them, as a last shot you might want to take the blocks with you to a quilt shop and see if there is a nice border or sashing fabric that brings the blocks back under control for you. I'm the type that if I like the fabrics, then I'm always happy with the quilt and love to snuggle under it while enjoying each individual fabric, no matter how they play together. But if you are bothered by the combination you have, then it's also okay not to finish this quilt and pass the blocks on to someone else. Our time is limited and is not worth spending on something we aren't enjoying (although I'm really, really hoping that you will come to love these blocks and the finished quilt!).

I finished my star blocks yesterday but still need to put them into their frames. We had a power outage for a couple of hours yesterday, so that slowed down progress! The best plans.... So I'll try to get them finished tonight and get pictures for you.

Nancy

Comment

I've cut out my stars, this is where I wish I stayed with 6" squares :lol: Oh dear more blocks tomorrow.

Lois bet they'll be great. I often go through a spell during a quilt where I dislike it.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2163 users online. 220 members and 1943 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,227   Members: 25686   Active Members: 1,319  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Kimi Johnson-kjbydes9.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X