Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Renata
    Marianne, go down in this thread to the one Margo wrote to me telling me how to do just what you asked about. If you follow Margo's instructions faithfully while looking at the pictures Lois subsequently posted, you should have no problem doing exactly what Annis explained in her most recent post. Hope this makes sense... :wink:
    Renata, I thought I had followed Margo's instructions all the way yesterday but still had problems. Tried again today with my own take on it and only had to cut into 2 SAs like I do when including a pocket in a seam. I have taken photos of the back of the blocks so I can see what I have done. I am obviously not ready for this block yet :lol: but to para-phrase tomorrow is a new day and will try again. I still have more squares cut; unfortunately they are only 4 1/4" so I might end up with 4 more blocks that are on the small side but Hey-Ho I am learning (I think :lol: ) OFf to cook dinner now.
    Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne-is-sewing
      Rosemary, I am not using a 1/4" foot but an ordinary foot and have drawn lines in front of the needle according to the measurements on my ruler like Laura showed for the HSTs. I am now about to sew together the second batch where I made sure the point of the squares where slightly inside the line on the paper. They look as if they are slightly more accurate than the last lot.
      Next batch will be made with the SAs pressed open to see if that is what makes the difference.
      Did you use 2 different red fabrics for yours. It looks like it on my screen but not entirely sure. Your quilt will have a very fresh look to it when finished.
      Marianne
      if you go here http://forum/the-classrooms-discussi...6-laura-nownes you can see my range of fabrics, for the qst's I've use the darkest red and the 5th darkest red.

By the way, one thing to aim for is consistancy, whether slightly small or large, is not so bad as long as they are all the same. Also the front measurements are far more important than the seam allowances - in my book at least. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
        Originally posted by PosyP
        Lois - any chance that you could put a link or copy your posts showing Margo's technique into Margo's links thread on techniques, that would be very beneficial for all of us.

Renata, love your qst's 8) I might very well be copying your colour layout plan into my quilt :wink:
        Sure, but how do I do that? Margo? Is that okay with you?

Rosemary, This information has now been placed with the rest of Margo's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
          Lois - any chance that you could put a link or copy your posts showing Margo's technique into Margo's links thread on techniques, that would be very beneficial for all of us.

Renata, love your qst's 8) I might very well be copying your colour layout plan into my quilt :wink:
          Sure, but how do I do that? Margo? Is that okay with you?

Rosemary, This information has now been placed with the rest of Margo's posts.
          Excellent - here is an add on to joining up qst's like we have been doing. I noticed that if you have both of the fabrics pressed to the darker side, then it was much easier to snug the seam joins up together and have a nice neat centre crossing. However when you get to the second pressing of the seams as Margo describes yes your centre is good, but it causes problems when joining the blocks together, because some of the seams are pressed to the pale side.

Since I had a few (ahem) spare hst's, I made up a sample to show (yet) another way of dealing with bulk.
          So starting where Lois's photos left off
          at this point you need to be brave and cut into the seam allowance of the visible dark seams either side of the centre twirl, up to, but not including the stitching line!
          Then press the seam allowance over the dark fabric. then repeat this for the other side of the twirl and on the other 3 squares....to be continued

Comment

Part 2

Here are the backs of the 4 qst's showing the seams pressed to the dark side, and now they will snug up easily together when sewn.
            This is what the reverse looks like when all stitched together
            And this is the front...
            and all done without a pin in sight :wink:

Comment

That's great thanks , now to be brave and do it.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Rosemary, Thanks! I'm glad I waited...I'll have to do this soon and I'll try your way.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                Betty Jo

Comment

Here is the link to the photos that Lois posted: http://forum/the-classrooms-discussi...ssorted-videos

Rosemary's technique works great IF you don't accidently clip through the stitches! Ask me how I know! ops:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Just to make sure, since it sounds like you haven't dropped them before, did you try sewing after pushing the button to put them in the up position? You probably already know this, but thought I check just in case. On my machines, you push the "feed dogs down" button again to put them in the up position, but they don't actually move until your first stitch. You probably tried this, but wanted to make sure just in case.

Well, Thanks a million, Nancy. I tried what you suggested, and I guess that you can tell I'm out of my comfort zone now. It worked! Guess I should read the manual that came with the machine. .... I didn't " 'probably already know this, or "try this" '. Which is one reason why I love this forum and all the sharing and learning that goes on, and we get pushed beyond our level. I think it may be at at least another decade until I can produce 'an artistic statement' as Rosemary told us about!
                    Thanks to Lois, I'm in the uncomfortable zone of FMQ, but I imagine, like most things, it improves with practice, practice, practice. At least I took the jump!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                      Here is the link to the photos that Lois posted: http://forum/the-classrooms-discussi...ssorted-videos

Rosemary's technique works great IF you don't accidently clip through the stitches! Ask me how I know! ops:
                      Margo, I did kinda wonder about that, being an old clothing sewist and knowing such cuts could be very disastrous. :shock:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                      Betty Jo

Comment

Rosemary, I sometimes cut into the seams but am careful to leave a few threads uncut. I try not to do it often though. It does help sometimes to distribute the bulk, or if you don't want the darker fabric pressed to the light.

This is how I do mine. Cut 4-1/2" squares, mark diagonal line, and sew seams.

Cut on marked line. Fold in half and clip seam to stitches. It's okay to clip through the stitches. Press half to dark and half to light.

Mark diagonal line and place right sides together aligning seams.

Comment

I usually just pin at the center, but you can also pin at the top and bottom, especially on larger block sizes.

Sew on the left side first, then turn and sew on the right side (which will now be on the left). You get a better match if you sew with the open end of the seam facing the needle according to an article I read in a magazine years ago.

Pretending the pencil is your right hand, grab the seam allowance on both sides of the center with your thumb and index finger and twist. Your left hand will go away from you and your right hand will pull towards you (that's if the seams are going clockwise on the back). The few stitches from the previous seam should pull loose easily. I do this on all of the blocks before pressing.

Comment

Press seams clockwise on back, counterclockwise on front. Square to 3-1/2". You will be trimming about 1/8" from all sides.

All of your seams will be twirling in the same direction so the blocks will fit together perfectly no matter which way they are turned.

Comment

Another great option to try! Thanks Annis!

Comment

Thanks, Annis!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2170 users online. 221 members and 1949 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,227   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X