Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooray!!
    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
      Thank you, Marilyn and Karen. BTW, I just cut the fabric for my pinwheels: NO "V"! :P :P :P
      So glad to hear this.
      I don't have time now for reading all the posts but actually I took pictures this afternoon.
      I'm cutting a polyester (wild) fabric on the true bias, so it's not the easiest job. It a wide fabric so I folded it more than once. You should focus on the lines on the ruler. It was perfect when I saw it with my eyes, but especially the left line seems a bit distorted on the photo. I cut several 3/4" strips and there are no V's. You can see below the ruler what I cut off before making the strips.

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Norma, yours is a different take on how to do it and I thank you for the pictures--it makes sense and I am going to give it a try. You never know when trying something different ends up working better for you. I really appreciate your taking the time to take pics (I am pretty eclectic in my learning style and a visual usually cinches it for me.

I tried Laura's method of doing the HST by drawing a straight line down the middle and using the side of the 1/4" patchwork foot to line it up to the center line. Despite my best efforts, the line I sewed was not straight enough for me. So I ripped it out. You can see in the photo (if you enlarge it by clicking on it) the difference between where the holes are and where I subsequently drew the line I was going to stitch on.

So, rather than getting frustrated, I pulled out my handy-dandy June Tailor HST ruler... line up the two angles of the square--there's a space where you insert the pencil and draw the line on both sides of the center line and then you can stitch right on the line rather than winging it. Afterwards, on the other side of the ruler, you line up the stitching lines on the dotted lines and there is a slit where you can put your rotary cutter and cut the two HSTs apart. Oh, yes, and after all that, you go to the middle of the ruler, line up the square and trim! I like that!!!

I think it's good to understand Laura's methodology for prepping the HSTs and sewing them. However, I got done a whole lot faster by having the lines to stitch on rather than parallel to. My HSTs are all done. Now I still have to piece them together into a block.

It's lunchtime!!!

Comment

Renata--what ever it takes to get the job done. There is always more than one way to do something and if you keep notes about how you like to them--it will make it easier the next time.

Comment

Comment

Ritzy, I do keep notes because I would never remember what I liked and I would have to reinvent the wheel... I used to forget where I put them ops: because they were never consistently in the same place so I opened up a notebook in OneNote, Microsoft software that is compatible with Outlook and Microsoft Word. It allows me to take notes, organize them into chapters, if I want to, I can take a screen clipping from the Internet or copy a picture into it and it will automatically provide me the URL information where the item came from (all I have to do is click on the URL in OneNote and it takes me right back to where the item came from on the Internet. It also has a search function so that, if I only remember that the entry had, lets say, "Ritzy" and "BOM", for example in it, I will get a list of every entry I made in my notebook that has "Ritzy" and "BOM". So, I don't have to be organized if I don't want to and I've been able to find everything easily. It has become my quilting diary and everything I learn and write in it I can refer back to. The best part is that when I type, the information is automatically saved in the notebook--I don't have to remember to save.

Comment

This "V" discussion is very interesting. OK so you say that having the fold absolutely at 90 degrees to the cut is the most important thing to bear in mind but if the strips are not cut on grain won't it be even more difficult to piece them accurately? I noticed that when I tried recently to piece some blocks using a charm pack that was rather skewed even the 9 patch blocks I made that used the full 5" because they were going to be cut up into disappearing 9 patch blocks were difficult to keep nice and square. I have also tried making HST from the same charm pack and they too were very difficult for me to handle when I started to sew them together. I know I'm very aware of grain because I make clothes. If the blocks are not on grain won't that make quilting more difficult?
                I have also observed that even though I lined my 15" square ruler up with a pulled thread cut that it was almost impossible to cut strips that were on grain. Maybe the fabric I buy is not a very good quality.
                I have finished all the 9-patches I am going to make for now and will post a photo later tonight. It is great fun to see how we all tackle this challenge and look at the photos posted here.
                Better go and make some dinner now so I can watch the new video tonight .
                Marianne

Comment

Marianne I think you're probably right about handling very off grain fabric. That would also be a problem but at least it would be cut without a V. :? :lol: I don't remember ever having fabric so very off grain to begin with.
                  Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I haven't tried uploading a picture before so bear with me if this does not work.
                    These are the 9-patch blocks I have made so far. Each lot is made with different machine setup. The only thing that is consistent is the cutting. They are all cut the way Sally Collins shows in her video i.e. the fabric edge visible between the broken line on the ruler.
                    As you can tell this is going to be a rather "wild" sampler quilt but who cares :P

Marianne

Comment

Renata, that looks like a very useful ruler. Do you use the rotary cutter in the slits?
                      Marianne, who is now off to watch todays video so I know what I am in for tomorrow :roll:

Comment

Me, either, Karen...And I find a little off grain " forgiveness" is a good thing for making things fit in the quilt world.
                        Not so much in he drape of clothes, maybe... :roll:

Comment

Marianne, I love your 9 patches. Hope you use them all.

Comment

Marily and Karen, I must learn to loosen up a little I guess :? . Old habits die hard. I have learnt the hard way how awful it is to wear a garment that I have made and not paid enough attention to the grain lines in the fabric and how horrible curtains can look if they are cut to a printed pattern that has been printed badly.

Marianne

Comment

Thank you, Lois. I love colours which is one of the things that has attracted me to trying out quilting but these are even more crazy than I usually end up with!
                              Marianne

Comment

Well, I learned that way, too. I think we all find where we can bend the rules a bit and relax a little. :wink: :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2284 users online. 236 members and 2048 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25586   Active Members: 1,296  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X