Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess better late than not at all... finished my nine patch blocks this evening but my design wall is occupied so here are the two samples. This should tell you what a novice I really am... I managed to cut my fabric and put the proverbial "V" into it, even though I thought my fabric was straight. My first cut to clean up the edge was very narrow because I had barely enough pink to do this but really liked the fabric. So, that was mistake #1, therefore I missed seeing the "V" until later. To "fix" the "V", I cut the strip in half and made believe I had two straight strips to sew.

Of course, mistake #2: I did not realize I had a "V" in the fabric until I sewed my first strip to the midway point, so I had to rip the stitches out.

Mistake #3 came when I forgot that I had completed five blocks with the dark on the outside and it was time to do the blocks with the white on the outside... rip some more... but now it's all done but I'm not sure that I am ready for pinwheels tomorrow... :shock: :roll:

Comment

Love your fabric Renata! Don't get discouraged. I know making mistakes it's a bummer but they're also stepping stones to make us better quilters I'm sure your pinwheels will turn out grate.

Comment

Renata they are beautiful. I think Sally Collins said she held up the strips each time she cut one to check they are straight.

It's about learning so I reckon that even though my blocks weren't accurate this time they will be by the end.I'm an optimist

Not so many blocks this week.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Despite my good intentions I haven't managed to finish my 9-patch blocks on time; I was away at the week-end so lost some time but daughter's 30th was more important than 9-patch blocks
          What I have managed is to take things slowly and trying to be a bit scientific in my approach. I have tried with and without starch, my "travel" machine and my 9 mm embroidery machine with different feet and different threads all with varying results (still got one more variant to try). A lot of frog-stitching has taken place but I have learnt so much along the way.
          One very important thing I have learnt, which is probably old hat to all the very experienced quilter here, is that you have to stick to one ruler brand when cutting and sub-cutting. A small ruler went out with the rubbish yesterday because it did not give the same 2 ½" square as my other rulers. I have also found that changing thread from 50 weight to 60 weight influences the outcome. I am keeping a diary to refer back to when this sampler is completed. Today I hope to do the last "experiment" and then decide which combination I like the best (which will certainly not involve my embroidery machine which is wonderful for embroidery, appliqué and decorative stitches but NOT for piecing when I'm in charge ops:
          I look forward to see how I fare with the next lot of blocks as I have always had huge problems with HSTs and Pin-wheel blocks send shivers down my spine

Comment

BIG OOPS hit Submit before I had finished my post. Sorry!
            I wanted to add how much I enjoy following along here in the forum and I am learning from your mistakes as well as my own. I have given up on cutting with a fold because like you, Renata, I get v's every time and have to cut the strips in half. I have watched so many video's on how to not get this but I just can't seem to make it work for me. I wonder whether it has to do with pre-washing; maybe I distort the fabric when I iron. I have noticed that despite cutting with scissors along the half width and pulling a thread to cut along so it really is straight of grain I still get slightly off-grain strips when cutting with the rotary cutter
            Onwards and upwards
            Marianne

Comment

Thank you, Limbania, for being so encouraging. You are right, this is part of the learning experience and makes us better at our craft. The irony is that I had no problem with Sedona Star and then came back to something as simple and basic as the nine-patch and made so many mistakes, even with good instruction!

Wendy, it's interesting that I actually went back and watched both Laura Nownes' and Sally Collins' videos before starting this set of blocks. Sally Collins indeed says to look for the "V" by opening up the folded fabric. She also cuts a generous first cut to clean up the edge before stripping. That was the one thing I could not do because I did not have enough fabric from this particular piece. My clean-up piece was about a 1/4" so when I opened it up to see if there was a "V", it was almost impossible to tell, so I happily went along cutting and wouldn't you know, EVERY PIECE had a "V" in it.

Marianne, my gut tells me that the problem with the "V" has nothing to do with prewashing. In fact, I did not prewash this particular set of fabrics and I starched and pressed them but I still have not figured out what I'm doing wrong. Since you are experimenting with different things, I will be very interested to know what your impressions are from the different techniques and materials you are using. Cheers!

Comment

Renata, I love your fabrics.
                To the discussion about cutting strips without the V I think you forget the most important thing. It's not about cutting a generous clean cut. It's about having parallel sides on the folded fabric. Try to lay them on you mat and align with a line on that to both sides. If they are parallel you can only get straight strips.
                Some use their square ruler to fold the fabric around, I use mine to control that the fabric follows lines on both sides. If this doesn't make sense to you, tell me and I will try getting to take a picture of what I mean.

living in Central Denmark
                Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Picture please, Norma (whenever you have time)! I think I understand but am not sure... I know it's not about the generous cut, but because I had such a sliver of fabric cut at the beginning, I could not make out the "V" in the sliver so I kept cutting... Despite my best efforts to get a straight fold when I hold the fabric up selvage to selvage, I still don't seem to get it straight... I hope you can help me over this hump because I really don't want to keep cutting "V"s... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
                    Renata, I love your fabrics.
                    To the discussion about cutting strips without the V I think you forget the most important thing. It's not about cutting a generous clean cut. It's about having parallel sides on the folded fabric. Try to lay them on you mat and align with a line on that to both sides. If they are parallel you can only get straight strips.
                    Some use their square ruler to fold the fabric around, I use mine to control that the fabric follows lines on both sides. If this doesn't make sense to you, tell me and I will try getting to take a picture of what I mean.
                    Norma, I have found that the old trick of pulling the tread to get the true grain only works if the fabric was placed absolutely on grain on the bolt. Sometimes it is stretched somewhat off-grain by the manufacturer and the only way to get it to hang straight (no v's) is by making sure the folds are parallel.

Comment

Hi Renata and Marianne -

As Norma said, the V you get is not about how much of a cut you make to clean up the edge or whether you prewash or not, but is about lining up the grain. I always hold my fabric in the air, matching the selvedges between my fingers and letting the fold hang. As you shift the front selvedge left and right, you will see that the hanging fold will have diagonal waves coming out of it depending on how far left or right you move that front selvedge. When you get to a point where there is no wave in the fabric, that is when your grain is matched and you will get perfect cuts. I won't be able to get a picture of this since I live alone and would need another arm for taking the picture. But I have seen a video on this so will see if I can find that.

I always prewash my fabric and don't use starch. It might be more difficult to find this grain line if the fabric has sizing or starch in it since these products keep it from flowing as easily. You might want to try this with a prewashed, unstarched piece of fabric just to see if that's easier for you. Maybe if that works, it would give you a feel for what you're looking for in the fabric and then can go back to unwashed or starched fabric. Just a thought.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, thanks for the comment. I actually had done everything you said when I prepared my fabric for cutting. I think you may be right that the starch may be getting in the way of seeing the diagonal waves in the fabric because when I let the fold hang and moved the selvages left and right, the bottom fold looked straight to me and I still got the "V". I'm going back and trying again with the pinwheels without starching the fabric this time. But, since I do like starch, I'm still going to have to figure out how to get it right with starch. Thanks!!!

Comment

Concerning the dreaded "v :evil: "....I've always taught my beginners to fold by matching selvages, if possible, then pressing
                          smoothly. Using your ruler, line up EXACTLY on the fold and make the clean- up cut. Do not pick up the fabric !
                          but turn the mat . reposition and cut strip...always checking to see that the fold is on the line. AND cut the longest
                          strip possible...that is..don't make multiple folds unless you absolutely have to do so. We all get a " v" once in a while !
                          So then I feed my scrap bin ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope this is clearer than mud ! PS: I don't agonize over the SOG so much....
                          It's more about having the 90 degree angle at the fold ! being perpendicular with the cut. Starch is not going to effect that at all.
                          I check every couple of cuts, too.

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
                            PS: I don't agonize over the SOG so much....
                            It's more about having the 90 degree angle at the fold ! being perpendicular with the cut. Starch is not going to effect that at all.
                            I check every couple of cuts, too.
                            I agree with you. I think being lined up exactly straight on the line with your fold is the thing,
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Thank you, Marilyn and Karen. BTW, I just cut the fabric for my pinwheels: NO "V"! :P :P :P

Comment

HOORAY !!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2074 users online. 203 members and 1871 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X