Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Suggestions for what features to look for?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for what features to look for?

I am making a mental list of what I want in a machine. The reason is because it isn't easy to get a good stitch out of my embroidery machine. I am thinking of trading it in. It is old though and I don't know what I can get for it in trade in.

What features do you feel are best for a good quilting machine?

I'm thinking needle down, cutting threads at the end of sewing, single hole throat plate available, largest harp available, not too heavy,good number of stitches per a set amount of time, and I am running out of ideas.

Thanks, Jan

I like the half speed mode for some of my machine quilting machine quilting and love the knee lift which keeps my hands free at all times!
    Jeanine

Comment

Is it true that you need a single stitch throat plate to stabilize your stitches in machine quilting? I have a knee lift but I don't use it. What exactly does it do? That may be a dumb question. I guess I could refer to my manual. My best guess is that it stops the motion.

Comment

It doesn't. It lifts the presser foot, so you don't have to use your hand. I miss it on the 2 machines I have where it is not a feature. Some machines will hover the presser foot when you use the needle down position

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

The features you may want depend on what you want in a machine.

Are you looking for primarily a machine to quilt on? Or mostly to piece on? Or one that does both well?

For piecing only, you can't beat an old Singer Featherweight. Not a new one, only an old one from prior to 1960 or so. They only do strait stitch, come with a single hole plate, are portable, and are all metal. They sew a perfect stitch and with simple oiling and greasing they will last forever. I have two: 1950 and 1951 and both are wonderful to piece on. You can find them on Ebay for around $400 - $800 or on some of the FW dedicated websites.

Many like Bernina's and Janome's too. They each have great features, including needle up/down and lots of stitches. You really have to test drive them... ergonomics are important too! Most machines come with (or you can buy) a single needle throat plate. It is not mandatory to use one for machine quilting, although if you are having trouble with your stitches or corners of the material being sucked down into the wider hole on a regular plate, it could help.

The knee lift is a wonderful accessory but not a must... but if you get used to using one, you'll swear by it. When you push out with your right knee, against the metal bar, it will lift the presser foot for you. If you are sewing and have your machine set for Needle Down, then when you back off the power pedal to stop the sewing, then push the knee lift, the presser foot goes up without you having to reach back there to lift it manually. It stays up as long as you are pushing the bar. So that makes it very easy to pivot when you are sewing and come to a corner. Esp good for machine applique.

As far as a thread cutter, I personally don't like them. They can leave a little tail that then needs to be hand cut off anyway. Double the work.

Take a look at lots of machines, test drive them, and then make a list of what you like and don't like about each. List the features they have and think about which you love, which are optional and which you do'nt need at all.

Comment

Well, I am looking for a machine to piece and quilt with. I like to piece with the machine I have now, but it doesn't quilt that well. I like the needle down. I think when I machine quilt I keep going until I can't control the cloth without repositioning my hands and then I want it to remain with the needle down. But I see when you pivot at a corner you need to lift the presser foot to pivot, so that would be handy to have the knee lift bar. If you were doing a quilting pattern that pivoted a lot the bar would be great. I guess I should look for my knee lift in the basement and get it out. I'll need it for the quilt I'm doing now.

What would a circa 1990 or earlier Bernina go for? I just want zigzag, straight, buttonhole, and applique stitches. I could see buying a new machine for quilting that would do these things. It's just that it seems I'd be paying at least $1000 for a machine. And I paid 900$ for my used Baby Lock Esante ESE2 machine in 2005. I was crazy. It's an embroidery machine and I don't do embroidery. I asked the saleslady if it would quilt and she said it would. It has a lot of fancy stitches and I don't use them. Last year I tried to find an old Bernina and they wanted about 1ooo$ for the ones they had I wasn't sure about what I was doing so I didn't buy one. Thanks Michelle, Norma and Jeanine

Comment

Jan, how fun to be able to go shop for a new machine!

I do a lot of FMQ, i also don't use the thread cutter. It leaves a tail about 3/8 inch long that I have to cut off later.
              I don't use the knee lift when FMQ since I dont need to turn the fabric much. When doing a border, I will generally work with the border on the right, quilt down to the next side, then turn the quilt. Since the needle is is in the quilt, it's never a problem. Many people love their knee lift, I think they use it when doing machine applique or sewing seams, with the feed dogs up.

I like having a single hole stitch plate but my janome doesn't have one and it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

I like having a speed control- I sew and quilt fairly slowly and it's nice to not have the machine take off like a rocket when I hit the pedal!
              Also I like having an adjustable presser foot pressure. Sewing seams needs a higher presser foot pressure than FMQ or machine applique. (it's easier to move the fabric under the foot when you're quilting for example).

Check out the feet offered, at the very least the quarter inch foot, the open toe foot and the foot used for FMQ.

Others have said that trying out the machine is so important. Once you decide which features you need, go check out a few machines, really sew and FMQ with them to see how they work for you.

Kathy

Comment

Thanks, Kathy. What kind of Janome do you have? My machine has the speed control switch also, which I like as well.

I am quilting a quilt now and found that I didn't stretch the flannel enough on the back. It is all wrinkled. I probably didn't do enough pins. I am stitching in the ditch around square blocks. I am using an open toe applique foot and leaving the feed dogs up. it works better than a walking foot because I can see where I'm going. For straight line quilting I leave the feed dogs up. This is my second larger bed quilt.

Maybe my machine is OK and I just need to learn to FMQ better and just need practice. Should do some smaller projects. Jan

Comment

I think the overall stitch quality is really important for any kind of sewing and especially for quilting. So the ability to adjust the bobbin and top tension is important, and whether it can use a walking foot, drop the feed dogs, and work with needle down. Of course, I'm a Bernina fan. I have three. Even their lower end machines seem to meet all these qualifications. I bought a Bernina 350 QE recently, because it is light enough to tote around, seems really solid, and sews like a dream. The only drawback is the throat space. Of course, that's the drawback of any machine that is light enough to tote around. My 830 LE weighs a LOT, but it does have the throat space and quilts like a sit-down mid-arm and it is an expensive machine, though I got a nice deal on mine. You might also consider the Bernina 550 QE, which is a beauty. The main thing is to have a dealer not too far away for whatever machine you buy. But I really recommend the 350 QE...it does everything you really need and does it very well.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                  Betty Jo

Comment

Jan, you comment that maybe your machine is ok and you just need more PPP... that could be the case! FMQ takes LOTS of practice!! How many quilts have you quilted on your machine? Have you done some tutorials, such as can be found from expert FM quilters like Diane Gaudynski? Her motto is to quilt every day, you will get better! And that is true!!

Basting the layers really well is a key to success too. Flannel esp is so stretchy... did you tape it down to a table or floor before layering and pinning it? Have you tried spray basting? That is another option although that takes some PPP too!

Perhaps as you are investigating machines, you can do more practicing and get more experience. Then after you feel you have FMQ more under your belt, then decide if you need a machine then or not.

FWIW

Betty Jo

Comment

Thanks, Betty Jo. I found a site online that sells old Berninas. I have a mechanic and I actually used another dealer (because he was backed up on work) to do a maintenance cleaning after some bad thread got stuck in it. I think the other dealer sells Berninas but I'm not sure. I think I'll check for Bernina dealers in my area. I am not sure I should even be thinking about this. If my machine does a good job on the quilts I am working on now, I probably should do nothing now. But you've given me good info on the Berninas that would be nice. Heartnsoulquilts I didn't use enough pins. I stretched the layers out with t pins. It's a shame. I messed up and it's a shame but a learning experience. I guess I got lucky on my last quilt. I have only done 2 before. This is the third. Jan

Betty Jo

Comment

Jan, try spray basting your quilt together for your next piece and see how that works for you. Spray the batting and not the fabric and very lightly. Then pin baste around the perimeter of the quilt for added security. This provides a really good basis for machine quilting in a small harp space. Sometimes, I even do BOTH the spray basting and then grid machine basting about three inches apart across the quilt if it's a larger quilt. Also, Bernina has some great sales periodically across the year.

Betty Jo

Comment

I bought a Bernina years ago using their no payment, no interest for 2 years (I think) method. Then I made a payment every month and finished paying for it before the time was up. It came with a free serger. I gave the machine to my DD but it is still at my house. She doesn't have time to sew right now. I don't use the serger much but when I did it did a great job. I love Bernina's 1/4" foot. But I still prefer to piece on my Pfaff performance 2054 with dual feed. And I quilt with my Janome 6600. I will give the Bernina another look when I get moved and have a permanent space. Although I think a longarm quilting machine is first on my list.

You mentioned quilting with an open toe applique foot instead of a walking foot. There is an open toe walking foot available for most machines. That's what I use.

Comment

Betty Jo, I may get the stitch ripper or "reverse sewer" out to take out the stitches and baste it all over again. There are 6 rows of stitching 6 feet long. I am afraid I might rip the layers if I try to get my stitches out; not sure what to do yet. Annis, that sounds like a good deal. PS where do you make those signatures?

Comment

Originally posted by drj2athome
                              Betty Jo, I may get the stitch ripper or "reverse sewer" out to take out the stitches and baste it all over again. There are 6 rows of stitching 6 feet long. I am afraid I might rip the layers if I try to get my stitches out; not sure what to do yet. Annis, that sounds like a good deal. PS where do you make those signatures?
                              If you need them, get your magnifier glasses out, put your feet up, turn on a favorite movie or music or audio book, and sit in your favorite chair. Now take Alex Anderson's 4-in-one if you have one, and spend some pleasant time "frogging" (rip-it, rip-it). You'll have a pleasant time and do it more carefully. I can't tell you how much I use my handy-dandy ripper. It's a quilter's best friend. ops: :shock: :lol: Sometimes I have a whole day of frogging. ops:

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2887 users online. 558 members and 2329 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X