Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

HELP-- Viking Sapphire 850 woes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP-- Viking Sapphire 850 woes

Hi Everyone, I've been having a horrible time with freemotion quilting on my Sapphire. I'm ready to drop-kick the thing off the roof. Now, I have to say, I've been a viking girl for a long time (sapphire is my 3rd Viking). I love the machine for piecing, and also love it for putting together projects using thick fusible fleece. It just motors through lots of layers of thick material with no problem. the problem is the freemotion quilting. The top thread gets wrapped around the feed dog and jams up. At first I thought it was just King Tut thread (which did it every time, no matter what one I used, which stinks because I happen to love that thread) but it now does it with all threads. I'm not sure if it's a tension issue or what. sometimes I can't get the tension set properly (and I've been freemotioning for over 10 years, so I don't think it's me haha), but it jams no matter if the tension looks perfect or not. It's really driving me nuts and taking all the fun out of the quilting. I'm debating going to Bernina, but I love the large harp with the sapphire. I've been on the internet and I can't find anyone else with this same problem. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks! Melissa

Melissa, I have the same machine. I kind of struggled with this too. Tension and thread, "nests", every time I tried to free motion quilt, I had to finally have the dealer help me. Good luck, I will keep watching this thread to see if you get other suggestions!! OH!! But I love my Sapphire, it sews and pieces like a dream!!

Comment

Thanks DE. It's not nesting though, it's hard to describe, but the thread loops around the tip of the right feed dog and I can't move the quilt. It gets a huge knot from sewing in place. Very strange and very frustrating. I'm thinking I may just take it to the dealer jammed up and see what they say. I really do love it for piecing and I want to love it for machine quilting as well.

Comment

Hey Melissa, I don't have the same machine as you but I'm anxious to hear what you find out. I have the husqvarna viking quilt designer and have had what I think is the same problem you described. It's going along fine and then for some reason the quilt won't move and I can't even get it off the machine without cutting away the tight ball of thread that is keeping it very close to the feed dogs. Once I had to cut a hole in what I was working on and was so glad it was only practice. It worrys me now when I'm sewing on a real piece though. Karen
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I have the Sapphire 850 and have experienced this too. Mine will hesitate and stitch in place until I give a yank and then we're off again. There will be a little loop on the back side. Wierd! I wonder if they'd help you at the dealer. I wonder if switching to a single hole throat plate would help. I might try that myself.

Otherwise, I love this machine SO MUCH!!!! I have found that I prefer to quilt using my walking foot and not free motion. With the large sewing area of this machine, I can meander a bit and make wavey lines, but everything is much smoother and more even since I'm using the walking foot. Try that!

Nancy in BRRRR NY
          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I have a separate bobbin case that I had my technician adjust for free motion quilting. I was having trouble when I used Rainbow in the needle and BottomLine in the bobbin.

I use MasterPiece in the bobbin when I use a Rainbow in the needle. It helps to grab the thread--a nice lady at Superior gave me that tip. I use the regular bobbin case and adjust my thread tension upward until I get a good stitch on both sides.

I've had the take up lever adjusted several times because the thread would jump out and catch on the bottom or not make stitches. I now loop the thread from left to right over the takeup lever. The thread forms a loop and it works for me. (Normally you do right to left.)

I love my Sapphire.

Coast of South Carolina USA
            Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Ladies! I have been free-motion quilting on my 850 with NO problems at all!! I LEFT THE FEED DOGS UP!! I know it sounds wierd, but with the free motion foot bobbing up and down, it's easy to move around and maybe I have even a little more control. I used many different threads and none were better than others.

Yea!! Try it!!

Nancy in sunny but cold western NY

Comment

I'm making a bag for my daughter. It's out of home-dec fabric, so sort of thick and coarse. She wanted the handles folded and reinforced. I think it ended up being about 6 layers thick.

It refused to sew! The top thread kept leaving huge loops around the bobbin and the bobbin wasn't engaging! I trying a couple of different settings, tried using the walking foot and that plastic thing that you hold under the pressure foot. Didn't matter!

Finally resorted to pulling out the 1970's Singer Touch and Sew that I still have just for this type of problem. Sometimes the old mechanical $150 machine does the job better than the $1,500 computerized one! Frustrating!!!! But in the end, the handles look beautiful.

Nancy in BRRRRRR western NY

Comment

I'm a Bernina girl, and I'm about to quilt with Superior Rainbows. I usually would use Bottom Line in the bobbin, so thanks for the info about using Masterpiece instead. I'll check that out. Thx.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2039 users online. 185 members and 1854 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X