Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

• MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    They know about it and the tech people are working on it.
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    October 9 still no photos — fyi
  • MONTH 9 — Ask Questions Here
    We must be up to the same point of constructing the quilt because I have the same question. However looking closely at the...
  • Sew a Long Using Quick and Easy Block Tool
    Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
    I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
  • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
  • Not a “Bot”
    Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
    No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
    I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
  • At the end of the year, December, will you have the 12 pattern months available in one download?
  • Not a “Bot”
    I am signed in but can’t watch any of the shows. The screen directs me to sign in to prove I am not a “bot”. I can’t...
  • Bright Star Quilt Kit fabric question
    I LOVE the fabrics selected for the Bright Star Quilt kit, but alas, all of the kits are now purchased. Is there any way...
    Thank your for letting me know!
    All the pattern pieces are now available. I chose to provide the background shape for the outer Fan border in Month 2. It...
  • No more items.

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

I love my new iron!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my new iron!

I recently purchased a new iron and I love it! I got it on Amazon.com for just $68 with no cost for shipping. It's a Panasonic Cordless. I had been so frustrated with how cords get in the way regardless of what I tried. This has a base that stays on the ironing board and is plugged in. I have found that the charge lasts long enough each time I press and then as I rearrange the fabric, I place the iron back in the base. I keep my iron plugged into the wall socket that connects to the light switch by the door, so as long as I turn the light off when I leave the room, I know the iron is turned off too. I think it has an auto shut off feature anyway.... If you're thinking about a new iron, give it a try. Plus, I have had no issues with the steam feature and the reservoir is very easy to fill. It removes and you can fill it directly from the faucet. It even comes with it's own case for taking it to sew days!

I have had this same iron for about 6 months and love it. I gets good and hot, and stays hot long enough to press a block or a full piece of fabric. It reheats quickly on the cradle while adjusting the fabric. It does have an auto shut-off after 10 minutes or so. If I know that it may be several minutes before I will need to press again, I just lift the iron off the cradle and then set it right back down again to extend the heating process. If I get it involved in something else and it shuts off, it really doesn't take long for the iron to heat back up again. Its great for pressing blocks, full lengths of fabrics, clothes and especially tablecloths. No cord to get in the way. Panasonic got it right. I will never go back. Cordless is the only way to go.

Comment

I too have a cordless. Mine's a Maytag. I loved it at first, but now the teflon finish is peeling and it is incontinent. I will replace it with a Panasonic--thanks for the recommendation! But this time, I will keep the water in a spritz bottle. Like Ricky Tims, what I really wish for is a no steam, no holes, smooth bottomed iron.

Comment

Carmen, Vermont Country Store sells a Dry Iron! It has a no holes, smooth, non Teflon metal sole plate and manual controls, and NO auto shutoff! It looks like the irons from 50 years ago. Very reasonable price and it does get hot.

Many quilters love this iron. In fact, Margo has one and mentioned it here a few years back, and so I ordered it. Just google the store for the correct website.

Comment

Speaking of irons . . . . . I enjoy classes offered at my local quilt shops and many times take my iron because the shop-furnished iron is always so busy with class members. Somewhere (probably on Pinterest) I saw a picture of an iron cover that wrapped around the iron and closed with either velcro or a large button. It mentioned that it used the fabric used for ironing board covers on the inside so the iron could be packed up while still warm when the class was over. The iron was the normal sized iron. Can anyone point me in the direction of finding a pattern like this?

Comment

Beverly - try this for an iron caddy pattern. (I just googled iron caddy pattern.)

http://www.kayewood.com/item/Caddy_P...g_Pattern/1287

Comment

Beth, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million!

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
                Carmen, Vermont Country Store sells a Dry Iron! It has a no holes, smooth, non Teflon metal sole plate and manual controls, and NO auto shutoff! It looks like the irons from 50 years ago. Very reasonable price and it does get hot.

Many quilters love this iron. In fact, Margo has one and mentioned it here a few years back, and so I ordered it. Just google the store for the correct website.
                YOU have to remember to shut the dang things off... I burned up two of these irons because I left them on ... they were really hot when I shut them off and once they cooled they would not turn on again I ruined the heat regulator. THEY are not as good as the old BLACK AND DECKER IRONS that lasted forever.

The same dry iron is sold on Amazon for about the same price. I have bought another one because I do like it ... BUT I hope not to abuse it .

NONNIE

Comment

Have you had any trouble with this iron? A friend of mine bought one, and loved it, so I bought one too. However, about six months later, she sent me an email warning that her iron kept setting the carbon monoxide alarm off, and wanted me to be aware. I do not have a carbon monoxide alarm, and I sew in a spare bedroom, usually with the door closed, so I stopped using it. I did look online, and a number of reviews mentioned trouble with the cord shorting out. Have you had any such problems?

I like this iron because it has the smooth sole plate, and gets hotter than many of the other irons I've tried. I am interested to hear if you still use it.

Comment

I'm on my 2nd of this iron. I don't know about carbon monoxide because I don't have one of those sensors either. Maybe those sensors are available from Home Depot. I'm not worrying and I'm not going to stop using mine, but I do know they go bad. Always unplug this iron when you leave it. I thought I turned my first one off with the heat control, only to find it still warm two weeks later after not using it. I have it attached to a power strip that also has a small Ott light attached. When the light is on, the iron is on, so I have a big reminder.

My 1st one just quit heating after several years. Oh well, they're a helluva lot cheaper that other leaky irons, the brand of which we shant mention. I really like using this iron.

For steam, I have a very inexpensive T-Fal with a Teflon sole plate that works just fine. I use a press cloth if I need more steam.

Comment

I have two of these irons and just love them. One I've had about five years, the other about two. If I need steam, I just spritz the fabric with a water bottle.

Comment

I'm attracted to the cordless irons, but haven't tried one yet.

As for regular irons, I've concluded that the less expensive irons work as well as the pricey ones. I use steam, so I look for one that is self-cleaning, and want an auto shutoff too. I've had my current Black & Decker (which replaced a Rowenta that leaked, and finally didn't work at all) for about 5 years now, with no problems at all.

BTW, though I have the auto shutoff feature, my iron is plugged into an outlet connected to a wall switch. This switch also controls the light, so I KNOW when my light is off, the iron is, too! Very convenient, if you can do this.

Comment

I have the Vermont Country Store iron too and I love it. I did forget to turn it off once, but it still worked when I returned to it. I am extra careful to flip the power strips off and turn off all the lights when leaving my sewing room. We are prone to thunderstorms here most of the year and I don't want to risk the lightning ruining my Bernina, or my longarm machine. I just make sure everything is off and safe.

Comment

Thank you all who responded about the Reliable iron from Vermont Country Store, or Amazon. I will order another one. I did go out and buy a Rowenta, which I found at a big Lots store, at a good price, but I will return it. I tried it the other day, and it is heavy enough to be bothersome.

Comment

I have the Panasonic cordless, about a year now. Being left handed, I like not having the cord get in the way. Great for sporadic use while quilting - however, it is not so great if you have a lot of clothes ironing to do.;It doesn't stay hot without sitting on the base for a few minutes between items. Do people still iron a whole basket load like I did as a kid? I remember the moms I babysat for were always thrilled when I did ironing for them - maybe they told their husbands to take them out so the ironing would be done, LOL.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1060 users online. 147 members and 913 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,245   Posts: 155,353   Members: 26164   Active Members: 1,115  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                They know about it and the tech people are working on it.
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                October 9 still no photos — fyi
                                We must be up to the same point of constructing the quilt because I have the same question. However looking closely at the...
                                Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
                                I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
                              • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
                              • Not a “Bot”
                                Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
                                No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
                                I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
                              • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X