Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Beba's cutting mat

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beba's cutting mat

Hi, Recently I heard about a cutting mat called Beba's Cutting mat from Bebasboutique.com
    From what I can find, the company used to be called Salem mats.

I would like to know if any members here have this mat and what you think of it? I'm using a fiskars self healing mat but I find my blades are getting dull too fast. I had an olfa mat for a while but did not like the smell and actually, I do NOT like the color of the olfa mat LOL it just bothers me. Anyway, I am looking at the Beba's mat and would appreciate hearing your thoughts about this mat.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

I like that it says iron safe. Go for it.

Comment

If it's the same as the old white Salem mats, I find they do hold the cutting ruts over time much more than the Olfa. I am not a fan of the color of Olfa mats either, but they are the best ones - mine are over 15 years old and still in good shape. I hate the smell also so when I buy a new mat, I put it in the basement laying flat for a few weeks until the smell goes away.

Comment

What about the Creative Grids mats? I think you can get them in the U S A.
        Anne

Comment

Oh and the Fiskers brand yellow mats are pretty good too. I have the 13" rotating one and love it.

Comment

Anyone have an opinion on the Martelli mats?

Comment

Hi Michelle (heartnsoulquilts) why do you mean by it holds the cuts?

Thanks for your time in replying.

Michelle

Comment

I have the Martelli's. Eh. Tough plastic. As good as any others I think. Colors not my first choice. :|

Comment

Originally posted by Bellamia
                  Hi Michelle (heartnsoulquilts) why do you mean by it holds the cuts?

Thanks for your time in replying.

Michelle
                  I think that Michelle will agree with me that "holds the cuts" means that the mat is NOT self healing, and there is a scratch left on the mat each time you make a cut.
                  The Olfa mats are supposed to be self healing, and the surface is harder and doesn't scratch like the Salem rulers.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I replaced the Olfa mat I had with a Martelli. I really like it better. It's hard to describe, but there's a smoother roll of my rotary cutter on the Martelli.

Comment

Thanks for the Martelli comments--if anyone else has one, I would welcome your impression of it. Also, if you have an absolute favorite mat, would you post a comment and reason you like it. My green Omnigrid mat has a four-inch cut in it (don't even remember doing it), and while it's not in the way, pretty soon it will be time for me to replace it.

Comment

Well...I loved my old grey Fiskers ...but they saw fit to quit making them. I can't stand the smell of the Olfas..
                        So..pastel green and yellow of Fiskers will have to do for now. I don't see as well those...Oh, well ! :roll:

Comment

Yes, Margo has it right. I meant to say "Holds the RUTS" and I meant that the cuts you make do score it and the ruts from that do not seal back up. As Margo says, Salem mats get 'scratched'.

I find the Olfa is harder than the Salem, and the tiny cuts it gets do not interfere with rotary cutting at all. As I said, mine is very old and just fine.

Comment

I watched a few youtube videos on Martelli products. Renata, I know you have the rotary cutter. Is it as good as they proclaim? How often have you had to change the blade? They claim it should last years?!! I really liked the non-slip rulers with the slits in them. Anybody got those? And the claims they make for the mats do make them look interesting. Anybody else got more comments on the Martelli products?

At the moment I am using a fiscars yellow/pale green mat. I don't think it's that great. I agree with you Marilyn that it's hard to see on them if you have a pale coloured fabric. I seem to have a lot of rough patches on mine now. I also have an Olfa one which seems to have worn better. I believe you can sand them down with very fine sand paper when they get rough cuts in them.

Comment

I love my Martelli rotary cutter, it is so easy on the hand when you are gliding forward to make a cut. I suppose you don't have to change the blade as often as with other cutters because you are not pressing down harder into the fabric as you might with other rotary cutters, but it probably depends on how much fabric you slice through on a regular basis. My blades do last a long time. I've been using the Martelli rotary cutter for three and a half years and I'm on my second blade. I changed the blade when it started skipping and leaving small portions of fabric uncut.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2102 users online. 247 members and 1855 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X