Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Pens for signature quilts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pens for signature quilts

I am making my son's girlfriend a quilt for high school graduation, and have some blocks on the back where her friends can sign.

My problem is that in the past, I have used Pigma Pens for the signatures. But I have never really been happy with them. The points are too sharp, everyone has a hard time using them, they fade after only several washings, and they seem to dry out very quickly (after not all that many signatures). In my opinion, no matter what size pen you use, the line is just too fine to stand up to use and washings. I have just never been satisfied with Pigma pens for this purpose.

This quilt will have to be USED and ABUSED and WASHED. so I am scouting around for an alternative pen to use.

I came across Sharpie ultra fine point pens. The package says the ink is permanent, and the tip seems to be easy to use. I wonder, though, about the durability of the ink.

Has anyone used Sharpie ultra fine point permanent ink pens on their quilts? How do they hold up?

(Wondering and hoping you say great!)

BethMI

I posted this same message on another board, and someone who works at the Sharpie company says that she has used them for this purpose for a long time and they don't run or fade with washing.

Tonight, I will try a bunch of different colors on my label fabric and wash it a couple of times. If it passes that test, I will use Sharpies instead of Pigma pens!

BethMI

Comment

BE CAREFUL ABOUT SHARPIES!!!! On some fabrics they are fine, but sometimes they do run or transfer. I once used a Sharpie to mark a bunch of cloth diapers with my daughter's initials for the daycare (we used them for burp cloths due to severe reflux, the little ones just did not work) Anyway once they were marked I threw the bunch in the washer along with a bunch of my husband's dress shirts. I figured they would be ok - the cloths were white so it wasn't like they would bleed. Problem was the Sharpie bled and left black dots all over his shirts. Now it might have been because I did not prewash the diapers before marking, or it could have been something in the fiber content (although I beleive they were 100% cotton) but ever since I have avoided using Sharpies on fabric just in case. If you look at the fine print on a Sharpie it does say "not for letter writing or cloth" too.

Comment

BethMI, please let us know how your experiment comes out. I had no success with Sharpies for writing on fabric, but it's been a few years since I tried it, so maybe they've changed their formulation. I'm very happy with the Pigma pens.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Beth

I like using the permanent "gel-uni ball Signo RT. pens". Looks like a regular ink pen. I get mine at walmart. I always heat set with an iron after I write with them. They don't smear at all. I like the pigma pens also but the ink runs out quickly for me, I make alot of cloth cards. Thats the only reason I switched. I didn't like the sharpies because they do run/smear.

gel-uni ball Signno RT pens have worked the best for me.
          Good luck

Comment

I had a sharpie bleed quite alot on a label.

I discovered some fabric markers at JoAnn's made by Marvy and they work great. The come in neon, pastel and bold colors. The package says they don't need to be heat set and are permenant.

Comment

I have seen "Identipen" recommended, which I believe is used for laundry marking, but I haven't tried it.

Pigma pens do come in various sizes. The .01 pens would be too sharp but I have been using a .08 to outline and I think it works well. I think they also make a .1

Comment

There are so many answers to this question from awhile ago. Has anyone tried EZ Permanent Fabric Markers from JoAnns? That along with the Pigma Microns and Dritz Quilting Markers were all that I found there. I tried them all and the only one that seemed to write dark enough was the EZ. I am sending them with my granddaughter to Czech Republic August first and she will use them for a signature quilt and I don't want to send something that won't work! Any help will be appreciated!!!
                Thanks Charlotte

Comment

My experiment ended with one CLEAR winner: Sharpie ultra fine. NO bleeding, clear writing and holds up through washing.

I will take a photo when I finish washing my son's quilt so you can see how good those signatures look and how well they wash!

I tested the pens by signing a practice quilted block with a whole bunch of different pens and then washing the block with every load of laundry that went through for several weeks -- at least 20 times in all. The Sharpies were the CLEAR winners.

BethMI

Comment

In about 2004 or 2005 I completed a quilt for a neice and used the Sharpie to make the label. Last summer when I was visiting, I noticed the label was faded so much that it was very difficult to read. In 2006 I had started making my labels on the computer--I wonder if this ink will hold up. The previous labels that I either machine or hand embroidered have held up the best. My neice's quilt is well used, she carries it everywhere and it has been washed frequently. In the long run, I am not sure which is best for labels. Of course it will depend on use and # of washes.
                    Lorna

Comment

I'm interested in the best pens to use also. I'm am taking leafs cut out of fabric to the family reunion this year for people to sign I wonder if after they sign I need to outline the signature with thread for permanence.

Comment

I'm grateful for this discussion and Beth thank you for doing that test. I want to do a project soon that will require me to send out several pens and those pigma pens would be more expensive than sharpies.

Comment

Oh my goodness, so many trials, so many so many solutions. I wonder if it's the difference in the fabrics? I'm going to try the fabrics and and other pens and wash and wash as some of you have suggested. I am glad to get the info though. Thanks a lot.
                          Charlotte

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2109 users online. 240 members and 1869 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X