Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

press n seal

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

press n seal

I guess anyone who's seen the handi-quilter set-up video already knows this...but glad press n seal makes a great quilting design marking tool. use a washable marker to trace your design and then simply smooth it onto your quilt top. it helps to stabilize any areas of "extra warmth" too. the only con is having to pick out the stuff from your stitches, but a dip and spin in the washing machine will help.

I tried that w/ my regular machine quilting and found it too difficult to tear away-- those sticky bits were a mess--
    Florence

Comment

Sorry, but what do you mean by "areas of extra warmth?" Probably a silly question, but I am a firm believer there is no such thing as a DUMB question!

Comment

since I am not perfect...and no matter how careful I am in piecing and then sandwiching the quilt. sometimes I have little pockets of more quilt top than bottom....my husband calls them "puckers" such an ugly term. I prefer to call them "extra warmth".

Comment

As a long arm quilter, I use the glad press and seal to repeat my designs on a quilt.

For example, if I want to make sure feathers are a match, and I don't have a stencil, I trace what I had done on to the glad wrap, and stick it to the next area I want to quilt an exact repeat.

It works great for me.

Phyllis

Comment

When I first saw the press-n-seal I thought that surely it had quilting applications. Then I remembered an episode of Simply Quilts where a lady used masking tape to "pound" flowers onto fabric. I think I'll give that a try come springtime.

Comment

Just be careful with the marker you use. When you stitch through the press n seal it carries of marker through to the fabric. yuck

Comment

Another good use for press'n'seal is to keep your threads from unwinding. If you have threads that don't have a place to wrap your tails around to keep them, a strip of press'n'seal wrapped around holds the thread on. The stuff isn't sticky enough to come off on the thread like tape, and it's cheaper than something like the Hugo's Amazing tape, which is also great but spendier.

Tama

Comment

Originally posted by dianaupp
                  Just be careful with the marker you use. When you stitch through the press n seal it carries of marker through to the fabric. yuck
                  absolutely!! I generally use crayola washable markers for kids..but I have used an extra fine sharpie with no problems.ALWAYS MAKE A TEST SAMPLE FIRST !!!

Comment

And I spent a very bored half hour today pondering the sewing and quilting apps of press n seal. i like the freezer version because it is stickier and tougher. I was wondering if they could be used like freezer paper for templates too?

Comment

Ooh, I think you hit on something there. No need to iron... you can see through it since its transparent... it might make a really good template material for portable projects where you can't have your iron. Might have to work with that. :!:

Comment

Here is a site that shows how to use Press and Seal for quilting stencils instead of sewing on top of the PNS and having to pull it off when you are done..I haven't tried this but it looks like it would work just fine...home.ptd.net/~shoofly/PNS/directions.htm
                        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://stitchesscrapsandtidbits.blogspot.com">http://stitchesscrapsandtidbits.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Thanks for the link. That looks like it just may work. I may try it with some tulips if I get my current quilt that far.
                          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://stitchesscrapsandtidbits.blogspot.com">http://stitchesscrapsandtidbits.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Originally posted by stitchesia
                            Here is a site that shows how to use Press and Seal for quilting stencils instead of sewing on top of the PNS and having to pull it off when you are done..I haven't tried this but it looks like it would work just fine...home.ptd.net/~shoofly/PNS/directions.htm
                            Thanks for the link!! That definately looks like something worth trying!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I find that PNS is great for a number of things...

1. Sticks to a book page for tracing templates, quilting designs, etc. without damaging the paper underneath.

2. Making little baggies of any size for cut pieces. You can label it with a sharpie pen.

3. Take it to classes along with a cutting board to lay out your blocks in layers. Use the cutting board next to the sewing machine and start piecing the blocks. When class time is up separate the pieces (in piles) so that the board shows through (like stain glass channels). Take your PNS large enough to cover the block (can use multiple pieces for large blocks). Run your finger over the PNS in the channels and around the outside of the block so it sticks to the cutting board. VOILA! Now your pieces will not shift out of place while you carry it home.

4. Wrap a small piece around an electric cord or lace when coiling them up for storage or travel (holds like a rubber band with one wrap.)

When I hear of or think of more tips I will surly pass them on to y'all.

Pati Shambaugh
                              The Quilt Patis Lady

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2897 users online. 558 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X