Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Fires near La Veta?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fires near La Veta?

Hey, Ricky, I just read about some of the Colorado fires, and one was west of La Veta. How close is it getting to town, and how about your property? Hoping for the best for you and all your neighbors. Mary

LovinQuiltin, Ricky posted this on Facebook about 10 hours ago.

'Looks like the fire near La Veta is very well contained. Whew! Not so good for the other two fires. Black Forest and Canon City.'

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

There's not a lot of information about this fire, probably because it's still "small" by our standards. From what I can find, it's burning about 45-50 acres 5 miles west of La Veta. Last report is 0% containment. It'll probably continue to grow today because of the rough terrain and the hot, dry weather we're having here. But the other fires we're having right now, which have burned at least 40 homes so far, are of much greater concern at this point. It looks like another bad fire season for the country!

Nancy

Comment

So what is the latest regarding the fires? I just saw on the news this afternoon that there are fire evacuations near LaVeta and south of Walsenburg. (Source: Channel 7 in Denver)

Comment

The fire that was last week is contained, but a new one has popped up in that area. A Boy Scout camp was evacuated and was destroyed by fire. I'm not sure where it is in relation to LaVeta. But certainly feels that the entire state is on fire. We need rain and fast.

Comment

Last word I can find is 9,000 acres burned, 0% containment. Evacuations east of La Veta and south of Walsenburg. That's 20 homes under mandatory evacuation and 500 under pre-evacuation. Crazy!

Nancy

Comment

Okay, this morning I went outside to water the potted plants and I was overwhelmed by a strong "campfire smell" in the air. I am hiding out in the house today (garden needs weeding, but I need to breathe.)

I have heard that the fires are worse down south of me. Has anyone heard how Ricky's property has fared? What about those lovely Harleys, his dogs, the quilts, the fabric?

Just wondering,

Diane up north

Comment

From Judith:

Judith Baker Montano
                6 hours ago ·
                Hi Everyone:
                Things are exciting around here due to the 9,400 acre wild fire on the east peak. So many of you have been here with us over the years....I just wanted to reassure you that all is safe and sound.

La Veta is the head quarters for the fire fighters, national guard and air force helecopters...It is a beehive of activity with al the crews being billetted in tents set up in the park....The government has sent in their own caterer.....All animals from other fires are being sent into the rodeo grounds for safe keeping.

I feel that if the National guard feels safe enough to be here so should I.....La Veta life goes on. I have spoken to a few ranchers and they are not moving cattle or horses.....Everyone has great faith in the fire fighters.

So what ever you hear from the hysterical news casters and media.....La Veta remains calm and is confident that the fire should
                be out in the next few days.

The days are so hot and the winds pick up in the afternoon. Just spoke to a young National guardsmen who stopped to fix the door on his hummer......I offered him some binder twine or a bungee cord...... and he said that things are under control but some of the men on the front lines are getting fatigued. They all are very confident now that the helecopters are on the job.

Tonite Kathy Koch and I went up to the hill and took these photographs of the fire. As you can see the smoke is billowing but white smoke means active fire and brown smoke means it is going out.
                Cheers.....Judith

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks to Judith for keeping us posted. It's good that things are all okay while Ricky is away. Does anyone know how things are at Autum Rock? I have no idea where that is in relation to the fire.

Comment

Many thanks toJudith and Margo for getting this news to us.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks for the update Margo and Judith.

Diane Frank

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2106 users online. 236 members and 1870 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X