Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Crumbs! :)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crumbs! :)

I was fascinated by Alex's demonstration of that little folded strip insert when you do the binding on a quilt, and I had a quilt that was ready for the binding, so I watched the relevant segment of the show a couple of times and then jumped right in.

I have popped a picture of the result in my profile (It's the scrappy 9-patch quilt). It's difficult to see on a small picture, but the "crumb catcher" really finishes off the quilt very nicely without distracting from the blocks.

I'll definitely do it again. Thanks a lot, Alex!!

Lorchen
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

I taught, my friend, Kathy to do this long before I saw it on TQS. She wanted to make a black and white quilt with just a touch of turquoise. The little bits of blue were done just like Alex taught and Kathy loved the look. Yours looks great.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, Ritzy! I had never seen this on any quilt or in any book before. Come to think about it, I vaguely remember a quilt that had a row of prairie points inserted in exactly the same place. But that little strip is so much less 'intrusive' but still adds something to a quilt.

Lorchen

Comment

Really nice Lorchen! I learned how to make a narrow border that size in a class, but I think the crumb catcher would be easier to do. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Love your quilts Lorchen!

I remember seeing something similar on the Bernina video and it's the 6th July 08 one. Works well on the smaller pieces. Just wish I had a larger piece or two to try the Alex technique on!

Comment

Well, Amo, with that new machine of yours you'll have a stack of quilt tops done in no time, I bet!

Comment

In Australia the crumb catcher is called a peeper border. I put one on my lavender sky quilt because the quilt was all nine patch and the border was flying geese there was many seams and the peeper border made it easier to go together and also hid where the seams between the quilt and the border didn't quite meet, it is a great technique.
              Jenny in Oz
              Jenny in Oz

Comment

Well, I can see a quilt somtime in the future, using the same technique, with the name "Crumbs! It's Peping Again!"

I bet if we interview quilters all over the world, we'll find even more names for that 'wee strip'.

Lorchen

Comment

Yes, I was told it was called a "flange". I have one in my 2009 BOM.

Jean

Comment

Very nice! Yes, I've heard flange also. In fact we did it this weekend in a class by Tom Russell here in Houston. We did it around a center 16 patch in a small wallhanging - and it gives just a 'tad' of extra interest in an allready very interesting study. Here's a pic of his in my profile. I haven't finished mine yet but will post in my profile when I'm done. It's hard to see the flange, but it peeks out in unexpected places and adds another layer of visual interest.
                    Lynn

Comment

I've used this technique on several quilts in the past few years, mostly miniatures, because I didn't want to use piping but didn't know it was called crumb catchers. Since I wanted mine to finish at 1/8" I cut my strips 3/4" wide, folded exactly in half and pressed, and sewed to the edge of the quilt with a consistent scant 1/4" seam. Then I pinned the binding to the quilt one side at a time and turned the quilt over to the back side to sew the binding in place by sewing right next to the sewn seam. This will give more accurate results when using the narrower strips. See my Ribbons of Hope or Geese Among the Stars quilts in my profile.

Comment

I, too, have used flanges, as well as piping, on some of my quilts and they really add zip. I have also found that a flange serves as nice transition from the body of the quilt to a border, if one part appears "busier" than the other. It's almost like a bridge fabric.
                        Isn't it great how we can learn all these wonderful techniques from masterful quilters?

Comment

The last quilt I made with one of these, I took a tip from the Red Hot Piping book and cut and pressed my flange a bit oversized, then trimmed the flange so it was PERFECTLY sized.

I find that when I press a narrow strip like this in half, it tends to "wobble" because I don't get the edges perfectly aligned. By cutting it oversized then trimming it down, I guarantee that such mistakes don't make that narrow strip on my quilt look uneven. Then, all I have to do is set that seam perfectly -- a lot easier with my 1/4" foot!

BethMI

Comment

I must admit that I don't mind a little 'wobble' here and there. I don't make quilts for competiion, but as a much loved and relaxing hobby. Fabric is tactile, soft and it moves. I'm fairly accurate, but I don't force it into submission.

Saying that, the tip of cutting bigger and then trimming is excellent!

Lorchen

Comment

I first saw the "crumb catcher" when I was doing a class on holiday last year. The teacher's 12 yr old daughter was finishing her first quilt and I asked what that strip was called. "Mummy's little bit of magic" came the reply! I loved it and have incorporated into a few of my quilts. It's now known as "Jo's bit of magic" in this corner of Kent , England after Jo Hendy of http://www.villavincrafts.com in Devon.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2806 users online. 512 members and 2294 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X