Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Marking My Quilt Top

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great idea Nancy.I always have trouble figuring out how to mark my quilts and keep it simple too.What kind of soap would you use? Something like ivory as compared to dove?Or doesn't it matter? Thanks.Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Books53
      What a great idea Nancy.I always have trouble figuring out how to mark my quilts and keep it simple too.What kind of soap would you use? Something like ivory as compared to dove?Or doesn't it matter? Thanks.Julie
      Hi Julie,

Great question! I'd use a plain white soap, without any dyes or lotions. Truthfully, I've been using and old bar of soap and can't remember what brand it is--probably an unscented detergent type bar soap. To be safe, you should probably test it on a scrap of fabric to make certain it washes out completely.

I used this technique to mark the elephants from coloring books on J'Lynn's Quilt, displayed on my profile. It's the first quilt in the second row.

Nancy

Comment

I've lost the thread about using Crayola Washable Markers to mark the quilt top but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the advice. A blue marker costs 7.5 franc (over $6) for one. I actually found the Crayola markers here in Switzerland at 6.90 franc for 12! :lol: I figured I give it a try on some scraps. If it didn't work, I'd give the markers to my friend's children. They worked a treat and what a bargain. 8) I will be sharing this news with my craft group. Thanks again

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

You are welcome, Libbi! Just be sure that you used the WASHABLE Crayola Markers! And when the quilt is finished, I treat mine like I do with the blue wash out marker. I fill the washer with cold water and soak the quilt for about 15 minutes; drain that water out of the washer; refill with fresh warm water and mild detergent.....I use Orvis Paste (available at the local farmer's co-op) and run it through a gentle wash cycle. For a quilt that will be used and loved to death, I dry it in the dryer. For a "good" quilt, or a wall hanging, I dry it flat...on the floor or on a bed.
          The Orvis Paste is used to wash livestock so it's very gentle and rinses out of natural fibers. It's a very concentrated and cost effective mild detergent.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Libbi
            I've lost the thread about using Crayola Washable Markers to mark the quilt top but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the advice. A blue marker costs 7.5 franc (over $6) for one. I actually found the Crayola markers here in Switzerland at 6.90 franc for 12! :lol: I figured I give it a try on some scraps. If it didn't work, I'd give the markers to my friend's children. They worked a treat and what a bargain. 8) I will be sharing this news with my craft group. Thanks again
            Just as a reminder, TQS Forum does have a "Search Forum" feature where you can search on Crayola Washable Markers to find the thread you were seeking.

Comment

Margo, your Orvis Paste sounds great. Hmmm. Now where was that feed store? Haven't needed to go there since we raised goats!
              Lynn

Comment

The markers I found here say Crayola SUPERWASHABLE. I recommended to my friends to try the markers on a scrap of the fabric they're going to use first. No luck finding Orvis paste here. But there is a bar soap, Marseille, which is a type rather than a brand. It seems to be a regular product in western Europe that is used for removing stains in washable fabrics. For my test I just used Woolite regular.

Comment

Libbi, I had a DISASTER using the washable Crayola Markers. The marker would not come out. I soaked the quilt in plain water just like I always do with the blue marker. I finally resorted to using OxyClean and it finally came out. The fabric I used was a pre-washed 100% cotton. I'm VERY careful about heat, etc. when I'm quilting a quilt. Fortunately, I only used the Crayola Marker on one border, so I didn't have it all over the quilt. (It's hand quilted, too, which just about made me ill at the though it might be ruined!) The quilt was marked for a couple of months before I finished all the border quilting--quilts usually don't get hand quilted over night, so I don't know what precautions I could have taken. I'll NEVER use those markers again!!!!! :shock: I just want to warn you about my problem with the markers. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Judy...thanks for the heads up!!! I am not a hand quilter, and usually have the marks washed out within a couple of days, so maybe that's why I've never had a problem? I'll be sure to mention that when recommending the markers in the future!

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Crayola markers. That's why I did a test and I will do a test before I mark the real thing. Soaking in cold water didn't remove the markers. I hand washed. I had to add a soap and then all the colors but the red and orange disappeared. When the 100% cotton dried, all the marks were gone. The box I have says, "Washes off only machine washable clothing in their normal wash cycle."

Comment

One more thing that I do probably helps the marks wash out....I almost always have starched my fabrics. That seems to put a barrier between the fabric and the markers and helps the lines wash out. I also find that I can use regular #2 pencils on heavily starched fabric, and the marks easily come out in the wash, but hand quilters probably don't want to deal with starched fabric!

Comment

Hi Ladies: I'm new to this Forum, so please be patient with me as I muddle my way through. I used the Crayola Washable markers and nearly fainted when there appeared large, pink blobs of colour on my quilt top when I washed it. But after a couple more washings it all came out and now the quilt is sparkly clean with no blobs of colour. It's sure a whole lot easier to see the quilt markings when using these markers. I think the problem in the first washing (and okay, the second and third) was that my machine didn't have enough water to actually move that marker out. A girlfriend used them and she washes her quilts in her bathtub. She didn't have any problems at all. Now, I won't be using the tub, but it did give me the idea that I needed more water.
                          Happy to meet you all,
                          Annette in Central Alberta

Comment

I've posted before somewhere about using the washable Crayola markers with great success. I always let the quilt soak overnight in the washing machine with some detergent added. Just fill the machine, add the soap and quilt and let it agitate for a few minutes to get it thoroughly soaked, then turn off the machine and let it sit over night. The next day, just let the machine finish the washing cycle. That's it. I've never had any kind of marks left after that process.

Of course, it always makes sense to test the fabric, but on 100% cotton, I've never had a problem I think that the starch tip is also a great one, especially since I like my fabric to have a nice solid hand while I'm piecing.

Comment

I agree, soaking is the key to getting the Crayola washable markings out. I usually soak for a couple of hours or overnight. Only time I had a problem was when I marked a fabric that had been treated with Bubble Jet Set. Those marking would not wash out but I learned on a practice piece.

Comment

These are all great ideas. I'm such a procrastanator when I don't know what I'm doing. I need to just jump in and start.

I thought that I had responded to your answers to my post, but don't see hit here. I am sorry, I must have done something wrong.

I do appreciate your input and have your suggestions copied and in my "tips" section in my notebook.

Vonna in Texas

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2900 users online. 561 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X