Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Floriani Embroidery Thread for quilting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floriani Embroidery Thread for quilting

Have you used Floriani embroidery thread for quilting? I tried it in my HQ Fusion and it untwisted before it came through the needle. Often one thread would break before the other. With the spool I was using, I'd start to see pink quilting and know the turquoise had broken! :P It didn't pile off the spool, just the twist of the thread untwisted before it hit the needle eye. Or so it seems....

After slowing my speed wayyyyy down and adjusting the tension a bit it was tolerable. But I won a pile of the threads and thought I'd have fun quilting with them. (Oh, like $400 worth at IQF Houston! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Thank you donor!! )

I used a Superior titanium 90 needle.

Any tips or suggestions?
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

I often use embroidery thread for quilting being in a place where quilting thread is like hen's teeth but have never tried Floriani's. I use an ordinary quilting needle size 75 on my domestic sewing machine and depending on the thread spool either use horizontal spool pin or if it is a cone I use a thread stand next to the machine. I don't go very fast when I quilt but considering how fast my embroidery machine run with the thread I doubt the speed is a problem. I must say I love the embroidery thread (Madeira and Aurifil) for quilting and it holds up well to washing. I always use it both top and bobbin. In the embroidery world Floriani thread is looked at as being superior to other threads

Good luck - I hope very much you find a way to get it to work for you.
    Marianne

Comment

Thank you Marianne! I need to email Floriani and call Handi Quilter for help as well, I guess.
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      Tired.
      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
      BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

If these are spools, you can try turning the spool over so the thread comes off the other end. That has worked for me when I've had untwisting thread.

Comment

It sounds like the thread is coming off the spool in the wrong way. If it is stack wound, it has to come off straight 90 degrees more or less to the spool. If it is cross wound, it needs to come off straight up from the spool. If there is any way you can make that happen, I suspect you'll have better luck. Otherwise, it might just be a bad spool. Even some of the best threads have the occasional bad spool and most of them will replace it in that case. Hope you can solve the problem.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
          Betty Jo

Comment

I totally agree with Nancy, that you should try turning the spool over so that the thread comes off of the spool in the other direction. One direction will untwist some threads, will flipping them over will keep the twist. I also agree with BJ that sometimes you just get a bad spool of thread. I got one from Superior, that just did NOT play nicely. I wrote to them, and they immediately replaced it.

Dawn

Comment

I have a cone of thread and it was on my long arm spool pin that is vertical. Maybe I need to try it on the horizontal pin? I haven't called Floriani yet. Or my machine tech support either. Thanks for your good ideas!!
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired.

Comment

Hi, I found a link about troubleshooting thread problems that might help, explaining it better than I did. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/spools-verse-cones/

Betty Jo

Comment

Interestingly, shortly after this subject came up I had a Superior Rainbow nearly new cone of thread that kept breaking and breaking. I tried other Rainbow threads, which I have used for years and love, and changed my needle, and nothing else did this. I wrote to Bob at Superior Threads and he not only replaced my Rainbow color, but sent me a cone of similarly colored Fantastico with no charge and without asking for the old cone back. Such great customer service, and it also shows that sometimes, the thread just has a problem even for the best threads.

Betty Jo

Comment

I have a spool of Masterpiece that I think is bad. So much time has passed, I don't know if I'll call or not. I've been super busy so haven't contacted the company yet. I need to so I could use it on a baby quilt for a great-niece if I can.

Thanks!
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    Tired.

Comment

Call them! .....what have you got to lose and you may gain something.
                      Anne

Comment

Can you show the pictures of your embroidery?

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to update here!
                          I'm on my tablet and a picture of using the Floriani emb thread for quilting is on the main computer.

At IQF Houston, I asked at the Floriani booth. They suggested putting the cone upside down on my long-arm. I haven't had a time to try that since. I'm hoping I get to play and do my own project tomorrow. Maybe one of the threads will work for that. ?
                          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                          Tired.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1229 users online. 236 members and 993 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X