Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Dresden blocks

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresden blocks

Hi everyone, wonder if you could help me. I bought 52 Dresden blocks that were done on very thin background fabric. It was done about 30 years ago and have been sitting. They're already to put together but the background fabric kinda smells and as I say very thin. Any suggestions about changing the background fabric? Thanks for your help.
    Marylyn B

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi everyone, wonder if you could help me. I bought 52 Dresden blocks that were done on very thin background fabric. It was done about 30 years ago and have been sitting. They're already to put together but the background fabric kinda smells and as I say very thin. Any suggestions about changing the background fabric? Thanks for your help.
    Could you post a picture of the front and back of one block. Makes it easier to come up with ideas. If they were appliqued
    onto the background fabric you could just take out the stitches around the circle, and then applique on a different background.
    If you want to keep the thin fabric you could put a fusible stabilizer like Pellon 906 on the back of the blocks to get them
    a little more sturdy feeling. It is a light stabilizer so it does not make the fabric stiff. I use it all the time with applique. For the smell
    maybe something like a light misting of Febreze. The TV commercials say it takes smells out of fabric. Or wash by hand in cool
    water with a quilt soap like Orvis. Would love to see a picture. HelenW

Comment

Hi Helen, thank you so much for all your great suggestions. I'm trying to send the pictures but it's showing that the files are too big. I'm trying to make them smaller. I'll call them tomorrow to get some help.
      Marylyn B

Comment

here's the first picture
        Marylyn B

Comment

OK, think you might be able to see these now
          Marylyn B

Comment

OK, think you might be able to see these now
            Lucky you to have such well done Dresden blocks. Great pictures. It would take some time, maybe while watching TV to
            rip the stitches out. Looks like they were hand stitched so it will be easier than if machine stitched. You could use the
            method Robin Long uses on her Summer Bloom,Winter Wreath project for appliquéing a circle on the center and
            a background behind the Dresden plates. You can watch her videos on you tube The Quilt Show to see the circle on
            fusible interfacing for the center circle. It is the summer project that Robin is teaching for The Quilt Show.
            HelenW
            Last edited by Helen W.; 09-08-2023, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I tried to post a picture of what I was thinking but I got the dreaded ? box. I am trying again as a separate post.
              I drew it in EQ8. The background could be one big square, or a big four patch like in this pictur
              If you want to put your blocks on a design wall or table and try to take a straight on picture, I could play around
              with some ideas. HelenW PS what is your first name???

Comment

Hi Helen, so sorry to take so long to respond. I laughed when you said to rip them apart. When I bought this a friend of mine said the same thing....hence they have been sitting since then. OK, so I started and it's taking some time. I'm not sure where I ever got the idea there were 52.....there are only 38, thank goodness. I've ripped out 12 so far and they don't lie flat at all. I took one and starched it, made no difference. So at the moment I'm not going to think about how to make them lie flat until I've taken them all apart. Once I've got more done I'll put them up on the design board. I'm signed up to follow Robin Long, but have had too many things on the go at the moment. I'm going to try and watch her next weekend. Your suggestions have been wonderful and I thank you so much. Will post a picture by next weekend. I hope my name (Marylyn) shows up this time
                Marylyn B

Comment

Hi Helen, so sorry to take so long to respond. I laughed when you said to rip them apart. When I bought this a friend of mine said the same thing....hence they have been sitting since then. OK, so I started and it's taking some time. I'm not sure where I ever got the idea there were 52.....there are only 38, thank goodness. I've ripped out 12 so far and they don't lie flat at all. I took one and starched it, made no difference. So at the moment I'm not going to think about how to make them lie flat until I've taken them all apart. Once I've got more done I'll put them up on the design board. I'm signed up to follow Robin Long, but have had too many things on the go at the moment. I'm going to try and watch her next weekend. Your suggestions have been wonderful and I thank you so much. Will post a picture by next weekend. I hope my name (Marylyn) shows up this time
                  Hi Marylyn, Robin's videos are great to watch. If you just want to know how to make the interfaced perfect center circle
                  you can watch a 5 min. version on you tube. There are a lot of them. I took a screen shot of one so you can google it.
                  A Dresden plate is a circular design so it has to have 360 degrees to lay flat. If you get a volcano shape you have more than
                  360 degrees so it lifts up in the center. If the pieces were cut accurately, then it is in the seam allowance. If the seam
                  allowance was too small, the extra fabric goes into the center. If the seam allowances were too large it will be wavy
                  because there is not enough fabric to make the circle lay flat. If you take a piece of vellum and draw a circle on it
                  draw a horizontal thru the diameter and a vertical line. Lay it on top of the block You should have 4 blades in each of
                  the 4 quadrants. You will be able to see if it is too big or not big enough to align with the quarter of the circle.
                  What diameter size are the dresden's? Click on the picture to see the name of the video. HelenW
                  Last edited by Helen W.; 09-13-2023, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Marylyn,
                    I tried to edit my last post and add a couple picture but it would not let me, so I am trying just a new post. The one
                    picture of the Dresden you posted does not look far off. I could not rotate your Dresden so not too accurate.
                    The first one is what it should look like with 4 blades in each of the 4 quadrants. HelenW

Comment

Hi again Marylyn, Found a good blog post on fixing wavy dresden's. I took these screenshot. Just type in the name of the
                      blog and you should get. Lots of advice and pictures. HelenW

Comment

• commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Helen,
                        You're such a wealth of amazing information. The info addressing the wavy dresden is exactly what I'm up against. I've 6 more to unpick and then I'll follow the directions for pin-tucking where it needs it. The horizontal and vertical lines also helps. Looked at more of the dresdens and they don't line up. I do believe this is going to be a winter project!! AND it's going to be a very large quilt when finished. Each block will measure 15". I've come up with a layout that will work.
                        I can't thank you enough for all your help along the way. I'll keep you posted as the tucking goes along and once I start sewing them onto the (not found yet) background fabric. Will send pictures for sure. Thanks again

Marylyn, Glad you are getting some info that helps. Yes, it is going to be a big quilt. King Size probably.
                      Are you planning to quilt it yourself. If yes, and you are doing it on a domestic regular size sewing machine
                      you might consider quilting it in sections. I did draw up a couple layouts so you could see with sashing and without
                      and horizontal layout and on point layout. HelenW

Comment

Hi Helen, SO SORRY for not responding to your last comment. I absolutely love the bottom right one. So when it comes time to put these together I will be reaching out to you for more help. There has been so much going on these last two months it's been hard to keep up with all my projects as well as I'm still working so it takes me longer to get things done. Bit by bit it will all come together. All the garden work is almost done (by this weekend). Then I can stay in and do what I love. I really am so appreciative of your help !!
                        Marylyn B

Comment

Hi Marylyn, No problems, I will be glad to help when you are ready. Even though I am now retired, I don't know
                          where the time goes. We are about ready for winter, in North Idaho we have all 4 seasons. Right now it is a beautiful
                          fall. I have been getting in a couple hours a day for my quilting addiction. I just finished a wall hanging that was
                          really fun. Took fish from Susan Carlson's $5 line drawings and made an underwater fantasy fish scene. Time to
                          get back to the TQS BOM so I won't be too far behind. Helen

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1865 users online. 369 members and 1496 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25611   Active Members: 1,200  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X