Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

• Sew a Long Using Quick and Easy Block Tool
    Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
    I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
  • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
  • Not a “Bot”
    Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
  • MONTH 9 — Ask Questions Here
    No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
    I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
  • At the end of the year, December, will you have the 12 pattern months available in one download?
  • Not a “Bot”
    I am signed in but can’t watch any of the shows. The screen directs me to sign in to prove I am not a “bot”. I can’t...
  • Bright Star Quilt Kit fabric question
    I LOVE the fabrics selected for the Bright Star Quilt kit, but alas, all of the kits are now purchased. Is there any way...
    Thank your for letting me know!
    All the pattern pieces are now available. I chose to provide the background shape for the outer Fan border in Month 2. It...
    The pattern piece is under month 2 patterns. I missed it too.
    Am I correct that we do not yet have all the pattern pieces for this quilt? I was looking for the outermost piece of the...
  • Suggestion Amazing new artist
    I don’t know how to email Quilt Show but Alex please look at this artist quilter. I have never seen technique like this!...
  • No more items.

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Border help!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border help!

Okay, I have a bit of a mystery that I cannot figure out. I put the star borders on the two sides and the bottom. Everything fit just fine, the star blocks lined up at the corners, etc. When I went to put the top border on, however, the corners of the star blocks on the top border that are supposed to line up with the corners of the star blocks on the side borders are 1/4" to the right of where they're supposed to be - and thus don't line up. The border itself fits exactly, but the blocks are somehow shifted over ??? If I lay out the border with those star block corners lining up, then I have 1/4" extra at one end and am 1/4" short at the other. I could add a little at the short end to make up the difference, but then I lose the seam allowance at the other end. As I said, I cannot figure out what I did. The rest all went together so well! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Bernina 440QE

Shawn, Haven't a clue, especially without seeing it, but it sounds intriguing. It's what makes quilting so INTERESTING--these odd little mysteries. I would guess it has something to do with the seam allowances not being quite right for starters and a right-left, up-down difference. Hope you succeed in solving it. Cheers, Betty Jo

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

Comment

I also had the same problem and decided my quilt will not be accurate and still sewed the borders on without the stars lining up at the corners. Only one corner gave me trouble. I'm not sure what the problem was or is, but decided it wasn't worth worrying about.

Good luck, Sharon in warm Colorado

Comment

Hi Shawn: I had the same problem as you also, and like you am still baffled in what went wrong, because everything else went togetherjust fine, it worked well on 2 sides for me then the other two it did not, I used the TQS fabric that Sue used and the fabric is so busy and blends together nicely that I really don't think it'll be noticeable once it's all put together and quilted, unless someone looks very careful, so I have decided not to be too critical on myself and let it go, Heidi

Comment

I have a similar problem,and went with it like Heidi did.
          I have now sewn on the star borders and did the finishing up pressing. Noticed that the quilt wasn't quite 'right' in two corners, so I laid it out on the floor to measure. North/south it measures up the same in 3 places. East/west centre measures the same as the other side, but the outside measurements are short.
          Should I take advantage of the bias edges and see if I can get it closer?

Jean in Windsor, ON

Comment

Hi Shawn...I matched my corners first, then divided the quilt edge in half and you can distribute or ease the extra main body of the quilt. You should put the main body next to the feed dogs and it should take care of the extra fullnes on the main body of the quilt. I hope I have made this understandable for you. Or you can go back and check the seam allowance for the blocks as previously suggested. Nan in cold upstate New York

Comment

Yep, I was going to say what Nan said.

Comment

Thanks Nan, of course what you wrote makes perfect sense now, just wish I'd thought of it myself first. I'll certainly remember this for the next time I'll run into this problem. Heidi

Comment

I also found it helpful to use the even feed (quilting) foot when adding the border. Dot :idea:

Comment

Originally posted by Nanguilts
                    Hi Shawn...I matched my corners first, then divided the quilt edge in half and you can distribute or ease the extra main body of the quilt. You should put the main body next to the feed dogs and it should take care of the extra fullnes on the main body of the quilt. I hope I have made this understandable for you. Or you can go back and check the seam allowance for the blocks as previously suggested. Nan in cold upstate New York
                    This might work, but the only place there'd be fullness would be from the corner of the star block to the outside edge. On one side the border would be 1/4 inch too short so I could ease in the extra on the main body, but on the other end the border would end up 1/4 too long so the easing would have to happen on the border. Still might be able to manage it. I have a Pfaff with the built in walking foot so that helps ease the top side when you're sewing, too.

Comment

Shawn, have you measured the point-to-point measurements for each block in that border? Or perhaps compared it with the opposite border that fits perfectly? I'm thinking that you might need to make some of the seams a tiny bit smaller or larger, even if it means having a little "air" around a block or having the corner clipped a teeny amount. Because of the little variations among my blocks, one of my borders was around 1/8" too short. I solved it by taking off the 2 outside half-square triangles, sewing new ones on and trimming them after I sewed that border to its neighbor.

Good luck figuring this out. Kathy

Comment

Shawn, the fact that you got 3 out of 4 borders to fit perfectly is wonderful and 1/4" isn't too much to deal with! I would guess that the problem is probably in the setting triangles. Maybe they got slightly stretched at some point? At any rate, Nan's suggestion sounds right to me. Get each corner lined up and do what you have to do to ease in the middle. Sometimes a gentle steam blocking can help shrink or stretch the parts to fit better. Just be careful that you don't distort it in the wrong direction! Good luck.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi Shawn and Margo,

I think I fixed my border issues (fingers crossed). I took off the two narrow borders, and measured. Found around 1/2 inch difference between the center (longer) and the sides. I pressed out like Margo said, and I also looked at the corners to see if they were square. Two of them were cut so the corner dipped inward. It was simple to take off those two half-square triangles, sew new ones on, and trim using the 12 inch square ruler. Then I measured the narrow border very carefully. so far it looks much better.

I probably ought to go back and re-look at Sally Collins' book.

Does anyone have her DVD?

Kathy

Comment

Good for you, Kathy!

That is why I stressed squaring up the end on my Webshots album tutorial! Getting those ends square is important!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...74879488jFYmzg

Comment

One thing about being one of the last ones to finish for the month is all the lovely advice I get to read on issues others had. I just got my borders together this weekend, trimmed and ready to sew. I put the floater on yesterday evening, and pinned the two short borders. So far so good. I was thinking about basting the short borders on/ and then pinning the long borders to just check the fit before sewing them. Do y'all think basting would cause stretch in the borders? I stopped last night as I was tired and I make way more mistakes when I am tired. I won't get back to it til off work this afternoon or evening. Sandi in FL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1420 users online. 348 members and 1072 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,245   Posts: 155,350   Members: 26125   Active Members: 1,045  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
                                I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
                              • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
                              • Not a “Bot”
                                Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
                                No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
                                I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
                              • At the end of the year, December, will you have the 12 pattern months available in one download?
                              • Not a “Bot”
                                I am signed in but can’t watch any of the shows. The screen directs me to sign in to prove I am not a “bot”. I can’t...
                              • Bright Star Quilt Kit fabric question
                                I LOVE the fabrics selected for the Bright Star Quilt kit, but alas, all of the kits are now purchased. Is there any way...
                              • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X