Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 3 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 3 -- Ask Questions Here

Still a few days early but please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Month 3.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Barb. Thanks for todays video. If one is machine sewing the ‘gentle curve’…. You wouldn’t need to stop at the dots would you? I’m thinking this through before I start
    Elizabeth Anderson
    Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

I just finished watching Barbara's post. To make the modified block 2, the straight pieced. If you made a strip set of four strips, not three, the smallest would be the color of the center and cut 90° triangles, the center would be an hourglass not a solid block, but the construction would be so much easier. If your fabric is long enough, to cut the triangles from the strip, it would give you two blocks with the reverse colors.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Karonray, Sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of one you have made? HelenW

I broke my arm in the middle of January, so I am behind, I can’t find where to print the pattern for month 2 or 3. Please help. The video for month 3 was great.
      Dee S

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Be sure you are logged in. LEARN/BOM 2024

I need some help. My template set didn't come with the letter J shape. Can I use the L Template in its place? It seems to fit the K & I seam line on those templates. Iam eagerly awaiting to here back.
      Robin Hessefort
      Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

My apologies are in order. In my defense I sew in the basement of our home where is lighting isn't great. My husband figured out that I had the J template face or top side down on my busy fabric. Thank you, Mark. I also watched Sally Collin's show 1602 while I was wait for someone to respond to my question. Since we are marking our dots on the wrong side of the fabric, should we also place the letter side of the template face down also?

Robin Hessefort
        Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew you had it you just had to find it. You are the second person to think one template was missing but it was not. Glad you are complete again!

Originally posted by kram20 View Post
        I need some help. My template set didn't come with the letter J shape. Can I use the L Template in its place? It seems to fit the K & I seam line on those templates. Iam eagerly awaiting to here back.
        Robin, If I were you I would download the pattern to your computer, then print the shapes page. Make a plastic template or a couple layers of freezer paper for you J shape. Are you asking if you can use the
        petal (leaf shape) for J? To me they don't look like that would work. HelenW

Comment

• commented
          Editing a comment
          I had 2 "L" acrylic templates, with no "J" template. I laid them out in order, and did have the correct templates, just not accurately labeled.

I think I have figured out an alternative to the Month 3 block. I drew and made templates and then used Lori Holt’s appliqué method that uses sew in interfacing. I am happy with this mock up. Now to decide if I will hand stitch down or machine appliqué. It will use more fabric and I plan on adding more from my stash if needed. I will also cut out the backs to reduce weight.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Rebecca, Looks great to me. I just love all the various techniques that everyone comes up with to
          get the same end result. HelenW

• LORI M. commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s exactly how I did my outside arch pieces! My only issue was a teeny bit of interfacing shows on the edge of some pieces. Since I have a light background, it’s fine. It went pretty fast too so that was good.

Originally posted by RebeccaWale View Post
        I think I have figured out an alternative to the Month 3 block. I drew and made templates and then used Lori Holt’s appliqué method that uses sew in interfacing. I am happy with this mock up. Now to decide if I will hand stitch down or machine appliqué. It will use more fabric and I plan on adding more from my stash if needed. I will also cut out the backs to reduce weight.
        Rebecca, I made a similar one piece circles idea, that I did not end up using. I started doing the the curved piecing and it was
        not that fun for me. I came up with the circle idea, then ran into a picture of Jen's Daisy Do pattern and went in a different
        variation for month 3. HelenW

Comment

I am having a hard time getting started with this block. I plan on making one block according to Jen's direction and one using Barbara's variation. Then deciding which to do for the 20 blocks. How are a you all cutting your pieces? Do you do one block at a time? There are 25 pieces per block out of 5 fabrics. Or are you cutting one templet of of multiple fabrics for. say 4 blocks, at a time?

Comment

• Connie H. commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm making 2 of each fabric grouping for the pieced blocks. That way I just have to think of 10 variations of each to come up with 20 blocks.

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            Melanie, Great idea to make one of each variation. It will also let you know if you like or dislike the techniques of construction for each of the 2 blocks;
            and you have not yet cut all the pieces and need to do it. I did not find the curved piecing fun, so

I redesigned for applique block. Most quilts you can plan out the color scheme, but in scrappy
            quilts I am finding it a whole new game. I am playing add on to what I have made. I lay the blocks
            on the floor and think what colors will look good next to it. I know most scrappy, is just make up
            a bunch of blocks and just keep moving them around until you get something you like. Both way
            would work. If you like the last way, and you like the construction techniques I see no reason
            not to cut all the pieces. If you are going for scrappy you might want to use a lot of different
            fabrics. Post a picture of your first 2 block when you get them done. HelenW

I just looked up your crescent 9 patch block picture and they look great. Truly scrappy and
            since you did not use the same fabric in the blocks I would tend to keep doing what you are
            doing for the scrappy effect.
            Last edited by Helen W.; 03-05-2024, 07:41 AM.

• Ellen L. commented
            Editing a comment
            There sure are a lot of pieces to cut out. I'm using the cricut I got for Christmas to cut out all the pieces, and it's taking a long time. I'm using 20 fat quarters and cutting 4 of each I, J, K L and one M from each fat quarter. Then I'll mix and match before I start sewing. So all 20 squares will be unique. Hoping to start sewing next week.

Can I get some advice? Wanting to try the hand method. Had no problem doing the four sides, and adding to the center square. It’s the four corner parts that I am hesitating with. Should I start at the bottom and do a horseshoe from one bottom then the the other? Do each side separately? TIA

Comment

• Sheridan D. commented
            Editing a comment
            I stitched the centre panel, square, 2 curved pieces and outer pieces. Then stitched side pieces, 2 curved pieces and outer piece. I put the petals on each side of the side pieces then stitched each side pieces to the centre piece in a long continuous curve.
            Last edited by Sheridan D.; 03-06-2024, 11:48 PM.

• beachsewgolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Pieced all 4 quardrants with square in center to dots. Pinned petal at dots to sides. Treated it like a y seam. Stitch from square on first side. Pin and machine second side matching dots and pinning. Thank goodness for hover mode. It’s flat and working. Still can’t figure how to upload pictures but cracked the piecing code.

Comment

I made several of Barbara's alternate month 3 blocks successfully and wanted to try the pieced "Sonia Sequence. " After 3 days and many hours of struggling, piecing and repiecing with and without glue and pins, I am able to get to the first gentle curve. But when I try to piece the second gentle curve it never fits even if I try to finesse the seam allowance. I always end up with a volcano that will not respond to blocking or ironing or else there is a gap that is too wide. I have tried ironing under the seam allowance of one side or the other (concave or convex) and then gluing but this hasn't worked either. Half of the semicircle can be sewn and the other half has a gap or both halves of the semicircle have gaps. Gluing the crescent seam allowance worked for the crescent 9-patch blocks, but not here. Is anyone else having this problem? Any tips before I abandon this pieced version?

Comment

Originally posted by beachsewgolf View Post
              Pieced all 4 quardrants with square in center to dots. Pinned petal at dots to sides. Treated it like a y seam. Stitch from square on first side. Pin and machine second side matching dots and pinning. Thank goodness for hover mode. It’s flat and working. Still can’t figure how to upload pictures but cracked the piecing code.
              Have you looked at this info on how to upload photos?

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...s-on-the-forum
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL
              https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• beachsewgolf commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I can post tomorrow finally. If you a still interested. Love your help adding to outer border.

I have a question that is unrelated to this quilt.....Barbara, how was your teaching event? I'm sure it was a great experience.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Phenomenal! Asilomar is a magical place and the students were wonderful, eager to learn and happy with their progress. I will write two blogs on the trip, one on the event, one on the class. I am back there next year teaching March 30-April 4, 2025, one of my best classes.

• Connie H. commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations on a successful trip!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2056 users online. 194 members and 1862 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
            X