Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 3 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the photos

Comment

These are photos of machine pieced block from my previous post. I know not colorway of original but there are flowers.

Comment

I would like to purchase a hole punch. Should it be 1/8 or 1/16?
        I know you mentioned it on FB but I forget what you said.

Comment

• Sheridan D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I purchased the 1/16, perfect sizes for using a pencil or pencil type marker to mark dots.

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          1/16 if you can find it, 1/8 will work in a pinch

Originally posted by AMiller View Post
        I made several of Barbara's alternate month 3 blocks successfully and wanted to try the pieced "Sonia Sequence. " After 3 days and many hours of struggling, piecing and repiecing with and without glue and pins, I am able to get to the first gentle curve. But when I try to piece the second gentle curve it never fits even if I try to finesse the seam allowance. I always end up with a volcano that will not respond to blocking or ironing or else there is a gap that is too wide. I have tried ironing under the seam allowance of one side or the other (concave or convex) and then gluing but this hasn't worked either. Half of the semicircle can be sewn and the other half has a gap or both halves of the semicircle have gaps. Gluing the crescent seam allowance worked for the crescent 9-patch blocks, but not here. Is anyone else having this problem? Any tips before I abandon this pieced version?
        Annette, A couple questions. Can you post a picture of the back of the block? Are you drawing the sew lines? You can check
        to see the the thread of the stitches are on both lines, so the seam is not too small and not too big. I have made a lot of
        Judy Niemeyer quilts that were based on circular centers. It is critical to have all the unit end up exactly 360 degrees when finished or you
        get a quilt that has a volcano or won't lay flat when sections are connected. Since this flower is a form of circle I think the
        problem is probably in your seam allowance. Are you using the orange templates or printing your own? If printing your
        own do a double check on that 1 inch square to make sure the pieces are the correct size. HelenW

Comment

• Annette M. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Helen. Terrimeggers is right about precision for this block. After many tries I got a passable block by using all the sew lines and stopping at all dots-not going beyond for any seam. My templates are printing accurately. I use card stock for them and use the adjacent piece to mark the seam. I also make the outer piece larger on 3 sides to have a generous allowance for trimming. I try to make sure the petal is 1/4” from the raw corner. If it is not, then I “unsew” and try again.

I had a very concave block 2 block on the the first one I made. The second one was concave too but not as bad. I almost gave up but thought about it and realized I won’t get better at this if I don’t keep trying. I tried one more time, making the seams and dots perfectly line up. I have drawn the lines carefully and the dots and slowly sewed together. The 3rd one came out much better. I didn’t realized how much precision mattered on this block. I will keep going and do the rest of the 20. Hopefully I get faster at it. I started doing it by hand sewing but switched to machine stitching and got better precision with the machine. This has been a real challenge, but I am increasing my skills as a quilter by taking on the challenge and continuing on.
        Teri

Comment

• LORI M. commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m experiencing similar frustrations. I had to draw my own templates and the printer 1” square wasn’t 1”. The first Month 3 block was too small. Redrew the templates at 110% then the block was about an inch too big. Redrew the templates at 105% and my block was very ruffly - I thought I could guess at the seam allowance when cutting out the templates. Redrew the templates using an accurate 1/4 inch. For this block I couldn’t get the middle square part to look right. Finally tried doing the 2 horeshoe shaped pieces which I should’ve done to begin with. That’s the best way to get it to look nice! It’s a real lesson in perseverance.

Originally posted by LORIM View Post
        I’m experiencing similar frustrations. I had to draw my own templates and the printer 1” square wasn’t 1”. The first Month 3 block was too small. Redrew the templates at 110% then the block was about an inch too big. Redrew the templates at 105% and my block was very ruffly - I thought I could guess at the seam allowance when cutting out the templates. Redrew the templates using an accurate 1/4 inch. For this block I couldn’t get the middle square part to look right. Finally tried doing the 2 horeshoe shaped pieces which I should’ve done to begin with. That’s the best way to get it to look nice! It’s a real lesson in perseverance.
        There is a Sticky Topic on printing accurate templates. If you haven't read those posts they may help:

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...template-sizes
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL
        https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

How do I print the paper pieced alternate pattern pieces for block

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            There are no paper pieced patterns for the alternative block. Can you be more specific what you want to print?

When you sew the middle square (month 3) do you sew just from dot to dot? For easier petal insertion?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I think that makes it easiest if you are piecing the petal in.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          How do I print the paper pieced alternate pattern pieces for block
          I drew up a paper pieced version in EQ8. You could do the same with quarter inch graph paper. I put an extra 1/4 inch around the
          out side of the block for wiggle room. It worked fine. I applique the leaf petals. HelenW
          CLICK ON PHOTO TO SEE ENTIRE PICTURE
          Last edited by Helen W.; 03-12-2024, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Where can I find Barbar's alternative block 3? Thank you. I struggle navigating the forum.

Comment

I am struggling with this block. I have cut it out 2 times. I have drawn and sewed on the lines from dot to dot following Barbs instructions. My block keeps turning out like a bowl. So frustrating…grrr…please help, suggestions would be helpful…not ready to give up yet!

I went back and watched the video with Jen Kingwell...thinking my issue might have something to do with cutting or not cutting my fabric on the bias/stretch of the fabric.
            Last edited by KMICHAEL; 03-20-2024, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
              Editing a comment
              KMichael, You really picked fabrics that look good together. Sounds like you are doing what you need
              to do. More questions, are you machine stitching or hand stitching? Did you try the glue baste technique that Sonia posted a long time back? Did you cut the outside border piece a little larger
              so it is easier to square up?Curves are notorious for sucking up a little extra fabric. Some designers allow for that by using a an extra 1/4 inch at the edge of a circle, then adjusting. I assume your block came out 8 1/2 inch square since you did not
              mention a size issue. If you are hand piecing it might be that you are stretching the bias curves
              as you stitch.Stitching tension is a part of hand piecing that I have not yet mastered. I know the block I tried turned out much like yours, only I got half a block done
              and decided to make my own version of a flower block and gave up the hand piecing. Did your
              block lay flat in pieces before adding the red petals? If you machine pieced, maybe using more
              pins on the concave/convex if not glue basting. Fold in half marks on both pieces, fold those halves
              in half, that give pins at each quarter, then between those every half inch. it keep it so it can't push
              the fabric forward as you stitch. If you are using a walking foot, it should not push the top fabric forward. If you
              are machine piecing take a close look at the sew line you drew on the bottom piece. Are the stitches
              staying on the line. Any chance you can post a picture of the back of the block? HelenW

• Gail E. commented
              Editing a comment
              I was having a similar problem with my first few blocks then I realised that I wasn’t paying attention to the way in which I was cutting out my fabric. You definitely need to cut all your fabric parallel with the selvages. Hope that helps.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1915 users online. 190 members and 1725 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25612   Active Members: 1,200  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X